Show what you tow!

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I've been looking at replacing the window shaker with something like this. Current AC is step up from what the camper started with and combination of placement and setup means it's always hot on the bed and cold on the toilet.

Mini-split means so many more options for mounting and layout. Too bad you are all the way up by Pensacola, or I might have asked to come look at it when you got home. WPB is long ways away

Jason

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
redbarron55, are those 20" wheels? I found that we were paying a penalty of 2-3 mpg with the 20" wheels. I went to 18" wheels and we get better mileage, better ride and cheaper tires.

Can you tell me what you use for a receiver on the Treg (i.e. what's the drop or rise)?

Also, GREAT looking setup! We have the same. Only towed for one trip so far. Not enough to track fuel but the MFD was showing about 22-24 mpg towing. I bet the actual is more like 18-20, but still impressive. Did you ever figure out your avg mpg for your trip?

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
7312 miles total
362.41 gallons
$1077.74 total fuel cost
$2.965 average cost per gallon high- $3.92 low - $2.39
20.18 MPG overall trip.
For the Scamp (many modifications ~3000 lbs.) 19 in to top of ball.
The hitch I used was an adjustable Reese Mini 350 weight distribution hitch with sway control built in.
The mini-split is a Chinese heat pump 9000 BTU with the air handled mounted over the window in the rear.
The trailer has a tankless water heater mounted on the other side of the A/C.
I am using a Redarc Tow Pro brake controller in the Touareg and a Teknosha P3 in my Town and country.
I got about 25 MPG with my 2009 & 2013 JSW TDIs and 16.5 with the T&C.
The Touareg is a great tow vehicle with 7700 lbs rating. Tows in the mountains with no muss no fuss.
Yes they are 20 inch wheels. 2012 Touareg TDI Executive.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Little late posting, here's our 'new' 2012 JSW pulling the repainted Scamp 13'.
Pic taken at Ft Desoto Park, Tampa Bay, FL, Dec. 2019.

The plan was to take the trusty 01 Golf, but it blew the turbo a couple weeks before departure, so it was decided to make the jump to the JSW as tugboat. We got the JSW in September, but it wasn't set up for towing, yet. It had already received new pads & rotors all around, new t-belt kit, rear springs & airshox, and all the other back maintenance that's due in the 120-130k range.

An EcoHitch and some wiring was ordered from Etrailer (great people to buy from), arrived next afternoon. The hitch installed easily. The wiring was more of a pain because the extra terminal for connecting trailer lights are not in the Mk6 taillights, unlike the Mk4. Did not have time to install the electric brake controller, but figured the largeness of the GSW, plus the ABS & ESC, would keep us out of trouble (it did).

The extra mass, wheelbase, power of the GSW all made it an even better little towtruck than the Golf. It took a while to figure out the DSG, but eventually settled on: Flat highway=D, cold starts or stoplight to stoplight driving = S, and using the manual mode in hilly terrain to enable easy downshifts.

The only towing related failure was the extension mirror that suction cups onto the original mirror, pulled the mirror glass off the backing. Dbl stick foam tape reattached the OE mirror, and the extension was not used on the pass.mirror for the rest of the trip.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Little late posting, here's our 'new' 2012 JSW pulling the repainted Scamp 13'.
Pic taken at Ft Desoto Park, Tampa Bay, FL, Dec. 2019.

Nice setup Jim! I really notice the extra HP my wife's '13 JSW has over her former 2006 TDI sedan or my 2004 Jetta Wagon. I need to swap cars with my wife some weekend and get her old hitch under her JSW before I really need to use it for something. (Summer is coming) I keep wishing there was something close to Plug-N-Play for wiring on the JSW. Closest thing I have found is the no-cut current sensing "Tekonsha 119250" or "Tekonsha 119251". The difference between the two appears to be the wiring kit (with the Tekonsha 119251).

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
There is "no cut" wiring for '13 JSW - it comes from UK with a little tinkering. Also adds in the trail ESP function.

On that thought I wonder if a first gen Tiguan trailer module would work in a '13 JSW? One of the other cool features was if the car was locked with a trailer attached then the alarm also watched the trailer(lights). If it was unplugged the alarm goes off.

BTW - I'm working in North Palm Beach/Gardens.

Jason

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle

sly2.0

TDI
Too many MK4 TDI Jettas
I towed this CNC Lathe from Tampa Florida to Memphis TN. (847 Miles) - Machine weight listed as Approximately 5,000lbs - Don't know how much the trailer weighs

I towed this TDI Jetta wagon from Huston, TX to Memphis, TN (568 Miles) - The wagon by itself weighs 3,122lbs

I towed this CNC lathe from Huston, TX to Memphis, TN (568 Miles) - Machine weight listed as 4,000lbs

Towed this 6x12 Uhaul from Memphis, TN to Seattle, WA (2,375 Miles)

Towed this 5x8 Uhaul from Seattle, WA back to Memphis, TN

Here's the Scale Ticket from the 5x8 Trailer, we packed it pretty tight. - Curb weight for my car is 2,974lbs - Probably had around 300lb on the rack and another 500lb in the car, so I think I had around 500lb on the tongue.

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
We have been mulling this over for a while and have decided that we need to move the car and trailer along.

The trailer is a real gem at only 1,620 lbs dry with electric brakes (all aluminum). I thought I would put a link to my CL ad if anyone was looking to get a trailer that is easily pulled with a TDI. or even a Toyota Corolla.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/rvs/d/port-coquitlam-south-all-aluminum/7106476563.html

This is a very nice trailer. You have a lot of nice upgrades. Best of luck with sale. I'm sure it will make a family happy campers.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
New used utility trailer, will be used to carry engines, tranny's, axles to machine shop or to freight yard. Pictured is a fresh Land Cruiser engine ready to go to freight dock.

Detour

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
I towed this CNC Lathe from Tampa Florida to Memphis TN. (847 Miles) - Machine weight listed as Approximately 5,000lbs - Don't know how much the trailer weighs

I towed this CNC lathe from Huston, TX to Memphis, TN (568 Miles) - Machine weight listed as 4,000lbs
Those are some very impressive weights for the little TDI. How much did you slow down on the hills and I assume you have electric brakes?

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I had a little Ford aspire with a 1.3, manual.

Electric brakes, I pulled 3000# behind it ALOT

Yeah hills slowed it down, soon as you see a hill start shifting, haha.

But held overdrive on flats. I was quite impressed.

066logger

TDI
2014 VW Jetta tdi dsg
Well, I suppose I’ll add my contribution tonight. I don’t have a 100 percent completed picture as it was dark after I got back from my test drive but so far so good! I have two dualsports on a homemade aluminum trailer. According to my bathroom scale I’m at around 960lbs total towing weight. Added the air helper bags and they are exactly what I needed! With a full trunk and 100lbs of tongue weight I was squatting in the rear pretty bad. Now it’s sitting like there’s nothing back there!

I have been a little nervous towing 1000lbs with VW saying not to tow with the dsg tdi but reading on here it seems that some do a whole lot more than that with no ill effects. I got a scanguage so I could at least monitor water temps. General everyday driving I’m averaging 188-190f and tonight with the trailer I tested it on several long uphill stretches of road at 65-70mph and the highest water temp number temp I saw was 197f briefly. It seemed to stay at 195f pretty consistently. Anybody else have any data on temps while towing or where a person should back off a little bit? Thanks for all the information so far! It’s really been a great help!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
In my experience, transmission temps are more a concern (for AT) than anything else.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I sold my trusty 4x8 trailer a few years ago and picked up a 6.5x10 that I've done a lot of work to and really like it, but found that I missed having a "small" trailer. I stumbled across this one that needed a bit of work, but is otherwise in good shape. All aluminum "double wall" extrusion (regular box tube with a web in the middle), Leaf spring axle.

It's got ramps with storage too which is nice!

Like anything I seem to have, it needs some work :)

It got new tires, bearings removed/cleaned/re-greased, new seals, one new bulb to replace a burnt out one and a new plug since some critters chewed the old one off. This made it road worthy - It was a good father/son project this weekend :). He likes cleaning and greasing the bearings best - no pictures of that though :).

On the to-do list...
- The sides and tailgate are bolt on so not convenient to take on/off
- There are no tie downs anywhere
- The inside dimensions are 49" x 95" - would like to find another couple inches in both directions to haul 4x8 material
- The tongue needs to be about 3 feet longer
--- It has zero tongue weight so is constantly rattling the receiver hitch
--- It's difficult to back with such a short tongue length
- Add a spare tire and a tool box to the front to give it some tongue weight and rigging storage
- Add a tongue jack

Need to find a better storage solution too!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I have a lot of tree trimmings I need pick up but everything is so dry I'm afraid to drive the Jetta with the trailer over the dry grass for fear of starting a fire.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Your exhaust and engine should not be hot enough to start a gas fire. I'd load everything into your trailer and then pull the cold car onto the yard to hook up and go.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Well, first the grass isn't green, but brown and dry because I haven't been able to mow due to the fire danger. The other problem is I dump the trimmings in a back area of my 10 acres. It is an old olive orchard and the previous owner sold off a bunch of the trees so I have several deep square holes that I put trimmings, weeds, etc. hoping they will eventually partially fill the holes as they decompose. So I have to be careful driving through the tall-ish field grass. The last problem is if it rains too much part of the area turns into black viscous mud! I've gotten the mower stuck when I didn't wait long enough for it to dry completely.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
sounds like a fun yard. All I have to worry about is that a little bit of rain makes my clay slicker than snot. If I spin the tires at all, I'm peeling the grass off the clay.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I MISS this thread! Although I no longer drive a TDI, this topic still feels like "home" due to it being one of the few places that features small cars with trailers. I still tow a lot, even slinging my trailer on the Tail of the Dragon! :cool:

Those photos were taken on my way home from having a Baun Performance exhaust installed.

Take Care!

Scott

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
Not towing, but the load is tied to the hitch receiver in back, so it's kinda hitched to the Wagon.

Crossbars for the stock roof rails are universal ones off eBay for $40. They work good enough for carrying a 65# canoe 10 miles to the lake.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I MISS this thread! Although I no longer drive a TDI, this topic still feels like "home" due to it being one of the few places that features small cars with trailers. I still tow a lot, even slinging my trailer on the Tail of the Dragon! :cool:

Those photos were taken on my way home from having a Baun Performance exhaust installed.

Take Care!

Scott
Tail of the dragon is on my bucket list... I was going to go with my b5.5 Passat wagon on my way back from vacation this summer, but the wagon decided to go into limp mode and so I towed it back. There was no way I was going to drive an underpowered expedition towing my car up that road...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After spending a week in NC hills, I decided what not to take on the "Tail". My Ram 1500! Too big and too sloppy for those tight qucik turns. No, I wasn't on the tail but on similar roads that can be found most anywhere on the Blueridge.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
After spending a week in NC hills, I decided what not to take on the "Tail". My Ram 1500! Too big and too sloppy for those tight qucik turns. No, I wasn't on the tail but on similar roads that can be found most anywhere on the Blueridge.
A friend of mine accidentally took it at night with an old junker plymouth. They didn't know what they were getting into.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/4.138138/full just playing with photos, won't be long I'll be back to this
nice set up!
I tow my fourwheeler around to the trails here in MN. Haven't towed anything in the snow yet though.

anyone know if the wagon springs will fit in the beetle rear to beef the suspension up bit? are the sedan springs the same as the beetle ones? mine squats a bit with my trailer, and i'd like it not to so much unless I have a load. Had someone tell me the legal limit was 600LB towing capacity.... I was thinking well if it is ain't no body here listen to that. I pull a 1000lb load, and i've heard of 3500LB. so it's been proven otherwise.