Show what you tow!

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta TDI 01M, '02 Jeep Liberty Renegade ALH TDI swap
Not a VW, but VW powered (1.9 ALH motor):

4000 lbs Jeep, 2500 lbs (Pop-up with gear) and 400 lbs of people. 9.37 l/100km on our last trip.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
4000 lbs Jeep, 2500 lbs (Pop-up with gear) and 400 lbs of people. 9.37 l/100km on our last trip.
Sweet! Our Mazda5 (gas) with a manual transmission only gets that kind economy when not towing and without the roof rack!

My Golf with its ALH probably did only slightly better the last time we towed the 2300lbs pop-up, but we never exceeded 90km/h between Waterdown and Rockwood Ontario.

From this picture either we have a bigger pop-up or smaller canoe? I am guessing our canoe is smaller... :)

Last edited:

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Nice! An ALH powered Jeep. Cool.

I like the bikes on the car, NarfBLAST. I've been wondering how I'm going to move kiddie bikes--and mine--when I go camping. I made a hack plywood platform years ago for the roof, maybe I could just lash the kids bikes to that.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I've been wondering how I'm going to move kiddie bikes--and mine--when I go camping.
I had three long channel bike racks with arms that come up, like these: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/VehicleRacksCarriers/BikeRacks/PRDOVR~0401071P/SportRack+SnapRack+Elite+Universal+Bike+Carrier.jsp?locale=en

Gives all kinds of tie down points and can carry three adult bikes without removing any tires (as long as the middle bike faces backwards). If I had not cut the ends of the thule load bars flush to the sides of the roof rack then I used to be able to fit four of these racks alternating forwards and backwards. Right now I have two on the Golf and two on our Mazda5, still very versatile, great for strapping down 4x8 sheets of plywood nice and flat.

tomc585

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
There's a reason for staying below 45mph when towing things without a suspension. Boy does this thing bounce!

Last edited:

bigred177

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Jetta
Not a VW, but VW powered (1.9 ALH motor):

Do you have a build thread or anything for this? I am very interested in doing a truck conversion and I'd like to see how you mate everything up.

Thanks

Everyone else: I ordered some stiffer springs the other day. I bumped the fender liners like 5x pulling my john boat with my scuba gear in the trunk. We'll see how they do. If I need more I'll put in some of those airbags.

I think my intake might be due for a cleaning. AC on with the boat and all I was able to maintain 65 on level ground but would fall off quickly with any kind of hill. Kept my foot on the floor in 4th and 5th and never got over 70. Still did 33 mpg though :).

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Yep, that is also my opinion .........
Great, I'm glad you have your opinion. Most of what *I* see in this thread could be perfectly legal and safe, then again, it could be illegal and dangerous. Your opinion doesn't change the fact that these cars CAN and DO legally tow very large loads provided proper measures are taken, the right speed driven, loads balanced properly, following distances increased, and many other circumstances considered and calculated. I've always found it interesting that people will ***** and complain all day about cars towing trailers (even small ones), yet they never say anything about the Rangers and S10's that share many parts and configuration with 4 cylinder economy cars including brakes, wheelbase, weight and suspension. Europeans tow large trailers with their cars all the time, granted there are special rules apply to those cars... like a 50mph max speed limit for example. That's why Top Gear always complains about trailers because they clog up the motorway at slow speeds.

My point is that if you're worried about risks, you might want to just stay home and put your head under a pillow and never go outside. Insurance exists for a reason, and even though there are right tools for certain jobs, NEVER underestimate the power of a stupid person. A lifted turbo diesel Dodge 3500 doesn't necessarily a safe towing experience make, especially when loaded improperly and driven at Mach 1

If you tow a trailer, exercise judgement and make sure you can operate safely no matter what the scenario. Enjoy this thread for what it is and don't make it anything other than that.

gerardrjj

TDI
'04 Golf GL
Grass. About 1,200 to 1,300 pounds of it. The horses are wondering why I'm
not putting this load away yet. :)
That's my completely stock 2004 TDI, auto 2WD.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Wow-if that isn't backwards. Surprized you didn't get bothered by the cops. Not saying it was out of the weight range-but appearances mean a lot to cops.

Bkcorso

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Wow-if that isn't backwards. Surprized you didn't get bothered by the cops. Not saying it was out of the weight range-but appearances mean a lot to cops.
The Curb weight on the Eurovan is just under 4300lbs...I would guess 500lbs of contents inside.:eek:

I too was surprised that I didn't get questioned by the authorities, but I was going slower than the posted speed, and had nice bright led markers on the dolly. Certainly not an ideal towing situation, but dam I am continually amazed at the cars abilities.

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
the Rangers and S10's that share many parts and configuration with 4 cylinder economy cars including brakes, wheelbase, weight and suspension.
That right there is funny stuff.

I've never see a unibody minitruck with McPherson strut IFS up front, light duty coil springs out back, front wheel drive, or a sub-90" wheel base. Nor do they generally have disc brakes out back, or >200 ft/lb of torque.

Nor have I seen a 4 cylinder economy car with solid axle RWD, rear leaf springs, long wheelbase, or a curb weight much north of 3,000#.

Draw whatever conclusions you choose about the loads I and others have shown in this thread, but that's a baseless, inaccurate, and wildly unrealistic parallel.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
That right there is funny stuff.

I've never see a unibody minitruck with McPherson strut IFS up front, light duty coil springs out back, front wheel drive, or a sub-90" wheel base. Nor do they generally have disc brakes out back, or >200 ft/lb of torque.

Nor have I seen a 4 cylinder economy car with solid axle RWD, rear leaf springs, long wheelbase, or a curb weight much north of 3,000#.

Draw whatever conclusions you choose about the loads I and others have shown in this thread, but that's a baseless, inaccurate, and wildly unrealistic parallel.

Hmmm... late 90's regular cab short bed S-10... 108" wheelbase. Curb weight 3029.. 118hp, 130ft-lbs, only rated to tow 2000lbs.. 267mm front brakes...

Sounds a lot like a MK4 Jetta sedan.... 99" wheelbase, curb weight 3009 (TDI 5-speed GLS), 280mm front brakes... Rated to tow 1500-2500lbs depending on where you look....

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
so wheelbase is near 10% difference. front engine rear drive with body on frame versus front engine front drive unibody.

yeah I'll keep laughing.

oh, wait! they both could be had with either I4 or V6 power, and 4sp auto or 5sp manual! and front brake rotors are within 5% in diameter. they're THE SAME THING! OMG!! :rolleyes:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Listen.. I never once said they are the same.. Don't put words in my mouth.. I'm saying for light duty towing, a Jetta is just as capable as an S-10.. For heavier stuff, a full size truck is a must..

As far as the wheelbase goes, a Jetta wagon has the same wheelbase as the short s-10..

I've towed quite a bit of weight with both vehicles.. The S-10 I had was a 1994 4wd V6 5-speed and it was 117" wheelbase.. The ONLY aspect of towing that my S-10 was better at was pulling power at low speeds like starting off uphill or pulling the boat out of the water. It sucked at everything else.. The Jetta was more stable at ANY speed with 2000lbs behind it than the S-10 was.. It pulled stronger up the hills around here, and it stopped better under all situations...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
However, if you pull into some place like U-Haul to pick up a 6x10 trailer, they'll laugh you all the way off the lot in the Jetta or JSW. They'll hook you up and send you on your way in the S-10/Ranger/Colorado. My JSW is rated at 1500 pounds and has a class II hitch. New ones have been reduced to 1000 pounds IIRC. My Canyon with the 4 cyl is rated at 3600 pounds and has a class III hitch. Someone out there does not believe they in any way similar vehicles.

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ya that depends on the U-haul place.. The ones up here won't even rent you a tow dolly if you show up in a Ranger.. All depends on who is behind the counter.. I don't have to deal with that though.. I have a tow dolly and a few trailers..

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
The euro-hitches are rated for 3600lbs. I've been installing them a LOT recently, the Bosal with the detachable hitch. Combined with a Sachs Vr6 clutch, good suspension, there is no reason that towing another car with a Jetta/JSW isn't safe. What impressed me the most was the braking - even with a full car behind it, the stopping is pretty impressive. Also no drilling required, which to me is reason enough to own one over a Curt/Drawtite style hitch.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can you put a different size ball on it? Deal breaker for me if you can't since my one trailer is a 1 7/8" coupler that's part of the trailer..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I towed this all the way back from where I got it with my last tdi, up some big hills too. Anyway I towed so thought it should count lol

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
\:D Getting married on July 1 :D
If you're trying to get ahold of me from 7-1-12 to 7-11-12, be patient.. I'll get back to everyone after we return from our road trip..
Congrats! But you may want to update your sig (unless you're not back yet :D )

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
Nope... and actually with the trailer it's not sitting appreciably lower than where it normally is.

I'd love a Metalnerd kit for this gen of Golfs... but last I heard, still not coming.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
I'm moving, and fortunately for me my belongings are few. Got the recliner and dining set with six chairs, along with some other boxes of stuff, and trunk of stuff, and a back seat of stuff. The Airlift air springs have paid for themselves as far as I am concerned.

chriskorwan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf
hey everyone in the hudson valley, north jersey, western PA. my trailer was stolen from my house. if you see it give me a call 845-987-4641, a police report has been filed with my local police department. thanks a bunch