Show what you tow!

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I like them! In that second picture it almost looks like a recent gen GTO from the rear.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Looks really awesome lightflyer1, what did your ball height end up at? and where do you attach the safety chains?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There is a place for the chains up near the bumper just to the right of the hitch. About 23 inches high off the ground. My Beetle has been raised with a 2 inch lift kit as well. Man is that thing sturdy!

Last edited:

pedaltheglobe

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/ Package 1
What hitch are you MK5 guys and girls using that are towing 3500+ lbs? I want to be able to tow cars using my car dolly with a MKV Jetta TDI manual trans....

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Does bosal sell a ball that is 2" or are they all in metric sizes?
The ball is 50mm or 1.9685". Works fine with a 2" coupler but won't work with a 1 7/8" coupler. Remember that you can also adjust the 2" coupler for a tighter fit if desired.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Couplers aren't that hard to replace either if needed.

I must say that my trusted mechanic Robby/Lance (runonbeer) did an excellent job installing it. They had trouble with removing everything and getting it back though. Not something they want to repeat any time soon is my understanding.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Couplers aren't that hard to replace either if needed.

I must say that my trusted mechanic Robby/Lance (runonbeer) did an excellent job installing it. They had trouble with removing everything and getting it back though. Not something they want to repeat any time soon is my understanding.
I did my Jetta Wagon install by myself except for help removing-installing the bumper cover. Sounds like the Beetle was more complex. Oh, yes, I had to replace the coupler on my trailer with a 2" one.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
A trip to the farm...

This is a shot of our utility trailer behind my wife's Jetta taken in April 2015. At the point this photo was taken, we were 1900 miles into our 2000 mile maiden voyage trip with our new trailer. No, that Jetta isn't lowered, it's stock suspension is just squatting from all the stuff in the trunk and the back seat. The Thule box on the roof was intended to ride on the custom bars on the trailer tongue. However, with 190lbs tongue weight, there was no way the Thule box was going to work on the tongue with everything in the car...

I think we got a consistent 23mpg that trip... (which still surpasses anything Uhaul has to rent). :rolleyes:
Before anyone asks: Oh Yes, that trailer HAS BRAKES! (Hydraulic surge vented disc brakes, with a reverse lock out solenoid.) There's no way I'd have towed a trailer with that much stuff through the mountains without brakes on the trailer.

Last edited:

WolfsburgGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
MK VI Golf TDI
Theres something awesome of having a TDI and using it tow stuff. I don't see it often Stateside but over in Germany I see it a lot. I just think its awesome that we use our cars to the fullest potential and we have fun doing it! I have yet to, but I'm looking forward to picking up my roof rack and bike attachment to bike more around the area.

Diesel on everyone! Hope everyone has a safe and Merry Christmas!

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
This is a shot of our utility trailer behind my wife's Jetta taken in April 2015. At the point this photo was taken, we were 1900 miles into our 2000 mile maiden voyage trip with our new trailer. No, that Jetta isn't lowered, it's stock suspension is just squatting from all the stuff in the trunk and the back seat. The Thule box on the roof was intended to ride on the custom bars on the trailer tongue. However, with 190lbs tongue weight, there was no way the Thule box was going to work on the tongue with everything in the car...

I think we got a consistent 23mpg that trip... (which still surpasses anything Uhaul has to rent). :rolleyes:
Before anyone asks: Oh Yes, that trailer HAS BRAKES! (Hydraulic surge vented disc brakes, with a reverse lock out solenoid.) There's no way I'd have towed a trailer with that much stuff through the mountains without brakes on the trailer.

Invest in airlift air bags. Only 90 bucks and your car sits level.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
That is good mileage with the flip up tailgate/ramp up in the air.
I get about 25 towing my 16' Scamp travel trailer.
Always wondered what MPG you Scamp guys get.

The flip-up tailgate/ramp was somewhat streamlined behind the load on the trailer. Top of the load to the top of the tailgate was only ~15". For the 2000 mile trip home, the trailer was empty, other than the Thule roof box on the nose, and the ramp strapped flat to the deck of the trailer to improve aerodynamics. It gets ~32mpg without the tailgate, based on one 175 mile trip I made with it over the summer, half of which was driven loaded with 50 eight foot 2x4s. (the trailer is a galvanized 5x8, rated for >3k lbs). One of my goals this winter is to weld up a more aerodynamic "shorty" tailgate to swap with the 48" tall unit. Sometimes it is nice to have a 48" ramp, but for most runs to the dump (renovating a house), I could easily get by with an 18" tall tailgate with some vertical guide sticks to show me where the trailer is when I'm backing up.

Invest in airlift air bags. Only 90 bucks and your car sits level.
Thanks for the tip. Since 2015 was just the first of many of these heavy haul road trips, I've already begun to look into airlift bags, especially after reading the MkIV Wagon owner's love for their bags and towing... Bagging the rear of both the TDI's is definitely on my list. The MkV scraped coming out of several fuel stops that trip.

Before anyone asks: traveling with the Thule box on the tongue of the trailer destroyed the single latch mechanism on the box during the return trip. (pulled rivets through the plastic, the ride was too harsh on an unloaded trailer sprung for >3k lbs loads). I've reinforced the latch with an aluminum bar nearly the width of the box now, with 8 screws.

Trailer upgrades: spare tire/hub mount including spare hub with packed bearings; HF LED trailer light upgrade; HF dual wheel tongue jack; unistrut tie down rails; steel tail light guards.

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I have a folding rear gate on my utility trailer. It just folds in half rather than sticking up like a sail. I have no idea why that isn't the standard way they are all made! I'd bet a trailer shop could modify yours if you plan on keeping the trailer long term...

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
thats really nice!

another option is to ditch the ramp, put a normal size gate on it and then make some angle iron ramps that go under the bed behind the rear tires.. weld slide bracket under there, slide ramps in from side and use a hitch pin to secure it.

I dont need ramps on my adventure trailer but I took the idea off my dads car hauler ramps and did the same thing on a smaller scale and put a collapsable dolly under there.. that way when trailer is filled to the brim I can still get the dolly out to help unload it.

Ive towed a full ramp trailer like that before and hated it, dumped the ramp off the first chance I could and just relied on my straps to keep stuff from going out the back... id rather back the car into a ditch if I need a ramp honestly.

Last edited:

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a folding rear gate on my utility trailer. It just folds in half rather than sticking up like a sail. I have no idea why that isn't the standard way they are all made! I'd bet a trailer shop could modify yours if you plan on keeping the trailer long term...
My "Continental" brand utility trailer will be around "long term", there's no doubt there. Long term plan is to leave the 4' mesh ramp at the north end of the road trip where we have a 24x40 garage and barn to store things. However, Spring of 2016, I have a nearly identical load to haul north, so the ramp came south this fall for one more trip. ;)

Ive towed a full ramp trailer like that before and hated it, dumped the ramp off the first chance I could and just relied on my straps to keep stuff from going out the back... id rather back the car into a ditch if I need a ramp honestly.
I can fully relate. Years ago, I borrowed a 4x6 utility trailer with a mesh ramp from work to haul something to the office for a project. I was accustomed to towing my 15' Boston Whaler Sport behind my Corrado G60, so I thought nothing of hitching the little empty 4x6 behind the Corrado. When I hit the interstate on-ramp, that mesh trailer ramp felt like I was towing an open parachute!! That trip made me a believer in vehicle aerodynamics and towing aerodynamics. A 15' Boston Whaler is much more aerodynamic than a mesh ramp.

I've already drawn up my new rear gate. It's not going to be mesh, and not going to be 4' high... I need one queen bed frame to build it. Despite being painted with silver rustoleum, it may not last as long my galvanized trailer, but bed frames are pretty inexpensive, and I know a guy with a welder. :D

Here's a better photo of the trailer behind the other TDI without a load of stuff on it.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Sheesh that ramp is huge! I'm always amazed at how much wind something made entirely of holes can catch. I'd be looking to have that thing fold up or lay flat on the trailer - I really like the folding design, that is really neat.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL

Looking at one of these. $9000. Sleeps 4. Would be great to go cross country. Sylvan Sport Go. Total weight 800#. And you can haul another 800# on it as you travel. Tent comes down out top plastic part.

Last edited:

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
But where would you store the bedding? $9k will buy an awesome 4x6 cargo trailer and a LOT of hotel rooms or a kicking camping setup that you can then store within the trailer... That is a very hefty price.

It might almost be cheaper to buy a T@B trailer instead?

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
The bedding is air matresses that are supplied with trailer and sleeping bags i already have. I would buy a couple lockable trunks to store food and junk in. I like the light weight for going cross country with the TDI. An enclosed trailer would be heavy and kill fuel mileage. Not sure what a T@B trailer is?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The bedding is air matresses that are supplied with trailer and sleeping bags i already have. I would buy a couple lockable trunks to store food and junk in. I like the light weight for going cross country with the TDI. An enclosed trailer would be heavy and kill fuel mileage. Not sure what a T@B trailer is?
Here you go:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=T@B+trailer

:p

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
ATR...That "let me google that for you" deal is awesome. Laughed my ass off. Walked right into that thought.
T@B trailer $15000 and no toilet. F@@k that.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
GreenLantern, check out my adventure trailer.. its a http://www.spacetrailers.com/

Thats what you call Aerodynamic, screw popup campers just get a nice tent you can replace as it wears out.. the trailer your going to own your entire life, and in that time you'll go through tons of tents so why combine the two.. Ive got enough room my next tent is going to have a wood burning stove inside.

Ive got propane tank, a refrigerator, solar panel, battery, tent heater, cots, full kitchen and so much more.. and it didt cost me near what that trailer runs to load my trailer up with em.. nothing inside has ever gotten wet, even driving through epic rain at interstate speed... the top comes off and its a normal trailer, Ive hauled my share of yard debris and construction material around town with it... even my dirt bike.

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

GreenLantern, check out my adventure trailer.. its a http://www.spacetrailers.com/
That's a really cool trailer with a lot of emphasis on utility! I'm on the verge of building a box to fit inside of my 3.5x5' utility trailer. It should be good for about 25 cu-ft of weatherproof cargo under my crossbars, which will be more than enough for a long distance family road trip.

If it's not enough, I could easily add another 14 or 21 cu-ft by adding a cargo box (or perhaps a carrier):

I imagine this setup would be good for camping, too. We're not campers, but it's good to have options. ;)

Scott

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
ATR...That "let me google that for you" deal is awesome. Laughed my ass off. Walked right into that thought.
T@B trailer $15000 and no toilet. F@@k that.
Thought you might like lmgtfy :D

For a camper there are less expensive options. You could find a used t@b or scamp for much less then $15k. And there are even more options our there from other trailer makers.

The last couple posts really have some great ideas for multi use tailers :cool:

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the green tent-trailer thing... Maybe I'm not seeing the height of that plastic box section correctly in the pictures, but that didn't look like it was anywhere near tall enough to hide 4 air mattresses and the fabric of the tent in it.
But the ideas after that were all pretty good too. FYI: $9000 for a tent (and no bathroom!) also doesn't really compute when the utility trailer I was thinking of is this:

for $900... and then you can buy a LOT of fuel to make up any losses. It isn't heavy at all, and even with an automatic transmission TDI, I still get 23mpg pulling it at 70-75mph down the road. Yes, wind is the issue, it doesn't really change the mileage with it loaded or not, and it is only about 3 inches taller than the wagon.

But you can't beat it for stuffing it full of stuff. Even my tiny open trailer that is 3x5 and hides behind the car completely pulls my mileage down, so I figure take the space over the mileage. I get just about the same 23mpg with my 5x10 too.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
yeah wind sucks.. My rig I get about 33-34mpg @ 70-75 pulling it, dont matter if its 800lbs or 1500lbs.. but it sits lower than the car.. If I put a canoe or a few bikes on the top of the trailer I am into the mid to high 20's. I get better mpg's than most people with roof rockets and I have so much more cargo room.

I looked at that cargobox real hard before buying mine, was a great cheap option.. but having it sit lower and being able to take the top off entirely made the spacetrailer worth the premium cost.. I calculated if I had instead bought a big SUV instead to haul all this gear around, the trailer paid for its self within the few years with the help of the TDI's fuel savings.

I think the tent squeezes into that hardtop and then the front compartment is your dry box, not much dry storage though.. looks extremely convoluted and plastic, not likely to withstand the rigors of time.

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Many good options you guys have shown. And yes the tent would most likely wear out before the rest of the $9000 rig did. Thats off the table. I like the space trailer and i also like the 4x6 v nose trailer. Until i decide ill prob just rent one of these. $20 a day. 45 cubic feet of storage. Uhaul sport.

I have a Harbor Freight trailer for everyday junk. This uhaul sport is lockable for road trips across the U.S. and looks like a good fit for just that occasional use.

Last edited:

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah wind sucks.. My rig I get about 33-34mpg @ 70-75 pulling it, dont matter if its 800lbs or 1500lbs.. but it sits lower than the car.. If I put a canoe or a few bikes on the top of the trailer I am into the mid to high 20's. I get better mpg's than most people with roof rockets and I have so much more cargo room.
I may have missed your ride somewhere - what do you have and what is your non-towing mileage like? With my ALH and automatic, I'm right at 35-36mpg on the highway all day long, but that is at 83mph (GPS).

I don't think it is too bad to be losing 8-10 mpg pulling a brick behind me.