Show what you tow!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
JoyJoy,

Are you using any all-season tires on this car? Do you mind giving us the make and model of this tire? I need a set of new tires to mount on my HD wheels. I'm excited to see the vlog on your YT channel, so be sure to share it here once it's ready.
I am using all-seasons. I'm currently on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, which is a discontinued high-performance all-season tire. They are superseded by the Pilot Sport All-Season 4, which is reportedly a good improvement over the A/S3+. They're said to be among the best in snow, FOR A PERFORMANCE TIRE. I'm sure none of them are great on ice. Snow tires would have been great for me on that mountain. Anyway, I'll probably get the AS4s this October. Snow driving is a rare event for me. I have the option to just stay home when snow or ice comes. :)

Regarding my videos, I've started the series and have about 1/2 of the videos shared on this list. I publish a new video each Thursday. The Sequoia incident publishes next Thursday.

Take Care!

Scott

Chris_co

TDI
2003 golf 1.9
Please help.
I may be moving to okc soon for family and I own a 2003 golf 1.9 tdi. It's in great shape and it has 170000 miles. I want to tow with it and I've been getting alot of misinformation from other sites so I came here.

So far I looked at maybe getting this from uhaul.
I want a flat trailer with a lift gate of possible.
Where do I begin?

Thank you so much in advance!

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
While the uhaul hitches are ok for light use there are various other options to consider.

Bosal makes a very well designed hitch for your golf, that's more $, but much more solid in how it attaches to the car.

There are also several ways to make your own if you're handy and don't mind spending a Saturday making one. Cost is about the same as a purchased one, but the quality is arguably better (depending on your design and welding skills :)) Several examples if you search.

If you're only going to be towing light trailers (under 1000lb) and not expecting to get 10k+ miles of use out of it, the uhaul version is ok for that.

Nuje

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2003; 2016 A3 e-tron
I have a u-haul hitch on last two Mk4 Golfs and they've done a fine job hauling all sorts of things. Most common was a bike rack with road bikes on the back, but it also does the trick pulling a HarborFreight trailer on which we've built a box (probably weighs 500lbs empty). Use it for dump runs, picking up landscaping supplies, furniture moves, etc. A cubic yard of pea gravel, though....not recommended.

I do wish I had something that didn't just bolt through the spare tire well's sheet metal, but the u-haul (typically made by Curt) is holding up well on both cars.

Chris_co

TDI
2003 golf 1.9
While the uhaul hitches are ok for light use there are various other options to consider.

Bosal makes a very well designed hitch for your golf, that's more $, but much more solid in how it attaches to the car.

There are also several ways to make your own if you're handy and don't mind spending a Saturday making one. Cost is about the same as a purchased one, but the quality is arguably better (depending on your design and welding skills :)) Several examples if you search.

If you're only going to be towing light trailers (under 1000lb) and not expecting to get 10k+ miles of use out of it, the uhaul version is ok for that.

If I was to get the bosal, how much weight could I tow? Tounge and full trailer?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
If I was to get the bosal, how much weight could I tow? Tounge and full trailer?
More than the car is able to handle, more than you should without trailer brakes, etc.

I believe they're formally rated for 1500kg (3300lb) and maybe 100kg (220lb) tongue weight? The springs on your car are much more of a limiting factor on tongue weight than the bosal hitch. The Golf's have the shortest distance from the ball to the rear axle so you'll have less of a sensitivity to tongue weight than Jetta's or Wagons.

As Nuje mentioned above, the Curt/UHaul is good at lighter duty applications.

Are you looking to do a lot more towing in the future? What else would you like to use a hitch for?

Chris_co

TDI
2003 golf 1.9
More than the car is able to handle, more than you should without trailer brakes, etc.

I believe they're formally rated for 1500kg (3300lb) and maybe 100kg (220lb) tongue weight? The springs on your car are much more of a limiting factor on tongue weight than the bosal hitch. The Golf's have the shortest distance from the ball to the rear axle so you'll have less of a sensitivity to tongue weight than Jetta's or Wagons.

As Nuje mentioned above, the Curt/UHaul is good at lighter duty applications.

Are you looking to do a lot more towing in the future? What else would you like to use a hitch for?
Yes I would like to tow a small pop up camper or tear drop to go camping in.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
This isn't a very good picture of the trailer, but I tow this 5.5' X 8' trailer. Today's load was shingles and assorted garbage, it was 680 pounds. I bought this trailer new in 1999 for about $1,000 and I certainly have gotten my moneys worth out of it. I was thinking the other day about what vehicles I have had to tow this with so I'm going to list them here.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1980 Rabbit diesel
1999 VW NB TDI
2002 Jeep Liberty Gas
2006 VW Jetta TDI
2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel
2008 Chevy Aveo
2012 Nissan Leaf
2003 Jeep Liberty Gas
2014 VW Tiguan