Shouldn't this work? (wiring problem)

el_flasho

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta
Shouldn\'t this work? (wiring problem)

i installed my homelink visor over the weekend, but was unable to get any power through it at all. here's what i did (it was used, so maybe it just doesn't work, but it seemed to be in good shape):

homelink doesn't plug right up, so i had to strip the 2 wires from the headliner (brown ground and power for vanity (brown with a stripe)) and the 3 wires in the homelink (brown ground, vanity power, and black/red homelink power). the headliner wires are labeled 1 & 2 (ground and power) and the wires coming from homelink were labeled 1, 2, $ 3. i spliced the 2 grounds together and then wrapped the power wire from the headliner around both the vanity and homelink wires on the visor. i then connected car battery and tried out the light and homelink but nothing worked. i kept the grounds spliced together at all times, but tried headliner power wire to just visor vanity wire, but still nothing. i then tried headliner power to just homelink wire and still nothing.

is there something i'm obviously doing wrong, or should this work and the visor may simply not work? i hope this hasn't been confusing or long winded. thanks in advance.

skicrave

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat 1.8T 4Motion Wagon
Re: Shouldn\'t this work? (wiring problem)

Did you check the fuse for the vanity lights? If you had both sets of wires exposed when you reconnected the battery maybe they touched eachother briefly and shorted out.

el_flasho

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta

i wrapped each splice in electrical tape each time before i would reconnect the battery to test em out. would it matter that i had the one power wire from the headliner wrapped around both the vanity and homelink wires for the visor?

skicrave

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat 1.8T 4Motion Wagon

No, there shouldn't be enough current draw to make a difference. If you're not getting power to the cars wiring harness though you need to check the fuse to be sure the circuit it getting power.

Did you test the wires in question with a DMM to be sure that you have power and ground correct?

el_flasho

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta

i'll check the fuse next time i'm out at my car, but the passenger side and dome light work, but i'm not sure if they're on the same fuse or not.

i may have to go get one of those dmm things to test the wires. i'm pretty sure they were right though. i read up about installing the visor on a couple sites and all said the wires should line up (1 to 1 and 2 to 2) and also described the ground as being brown.

TeleDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2004, Reflex Silver

Here is how I wired up the HomeLink visor in my 2004 Golf GLS TDi with a DIY plug and play wiring harness:

Here is the parts list:

1ea 1J0 973 332 Female connector
1ea 1C0 973 119 Housing
2ea 000 979 009 Repair wire, use 3 ends
1ea 000 979 132 Repair wire, use 2 ends
2ea 1" pieces of 1/8" heatshrink tubing

These are available from IMPEX FAP

The wiring connections are:
Connector 1J0 973 332 to Connector 1C0 973 119
pin 1 to pin 1
pin 2 to pin 2 & 3

This will allow the HomeLink control to operate without the ignition switch on.

Works great on my car and I didn't have to cut any wires

T.D.

el_flasho

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta

that's a great diagram. i'll have to order those pieces and try it out. it's too bad i went ahead and cut off the connector coming out of the headliner in order to have bare wire ends. hopefully after all this trouble it isn't just some internal problem with the visor. thanks!

el_flasho

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta

yeah, it might, but before i bought it i asked the guy if he knew how to wire it into a jetta and he said he didn't because he didn't have a garage, so i don't think he ever wired it. even if it is messed up, i mainly bought it for the extending feature anyway and the price was worth it. it would be nice to get it to work though.

i also researched fuses and found that fuse 14 is for "interior lights and central locking system", so it can't be the fuse.

oh yeah, kennedy, i received and installed the passenger visor i bought from you. thanks for the great item and great price.

Cosmobug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta, Black on Black Leather

I found an even easier solution. I got a visor from an 04 Passat GLS in Denver for $40. I have an 04 Jetta GLS. After removing original visor, I noticed the harness on my Jetta's visor had two push-on connectors at the opening of the arm. I pulled those off with some needlenose pliers, "crimped" them a bit tighter, and plugged them right into the passat harness. Not a single wire to cut! As a safety measure, I put a piece of elec tap around one of the connectors so that the two could no touch. Thanks to your great pic above, I connected pin 1 to pin 1 and the pin 2 connector across pins 2&3. Then I wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape so they did not easily pull out. All works well...I love it!

Why didn't VW offer this as an option! Probably got it cheaper than they would offer it anyhow.

TheSpatulaOfLove

Non-stick & heat resistant!
TDI
04 Bug TDI GLS, Black & 02 Bug TDI GLS, Uglyass Green

Teledawg

Thank you very much for the excellent modpics/part numbers. I just did this install, and it works FLAWLESSLY. On top of it all, I didn't have to cut any factory wiring, thus avoiding VW voodoo later on.

BIG thumps up to you!

Moderator: Please add this to FAQ or something - I spent some time trying to find this thread, and it should be more easily accessible.

vwsandman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 01' Blue lagoon
Something to keep in mind when doing this mod

As I found out with my Homelink mod, if you are using LED lamps in your make up lights, the above mod will not work due to the curcuit used by VW. As some of you may be aware, if the wire is brown on our cars, it is a ground wire. If it is a brown wire with a colored stripe, it is a "switched" ground. If you observe the stock sunvisor wiring, you will see that the two wires that run to the switch for the makeup mirror lamp are brown and brown/white. Since VW is only giving the makeup light ground via the switch, power is only available to the Homelink by going through the incandescent lamp used for the makeup light. This works fine until the light burns out, or you use an LED, like I did, which prevents the 12VDC from going to the Homelink as wired in the above post. (LEDs are one way devices, where an incandescent lamp goes both ways) Solution? Run the VW repair wire used in pin three of the Homelink visor over to the makeup lamp socket, there you will find the red/blue wire which feeds this circuit in the first place, tap into that and you will not have to worry about lamp failure or the use of LEDs for your interior lighting. The wire used for the power to the Homelink sunvisor is a red/blue.

The LEDs I am using were purchased from 42Draft and really make for a nice cool white look in the interior. (or any other color you might like)

By the way, the Homelink transmitter is a GM part! :eek: You can carefully remove the cover on the Homelink and the unit will snap out. The Homelink unit is GM part number 15015905. Doing a search revealed that these are available for around $87. Probably can find these for less somewhere else. So if your Homelink fails or does not work, you might be able to find this in a GM vehicle for allot less money than replacing the whole sunvisor. Hope this helps out anyone looking to do this mod.

I got my Homelink all programed up and it works great! Search around on car parts.com I got mine for $65 shipped. I believe these were only used on Passat GLX's and W8's which should help to limit your search.

vwsandman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 01' Blue lagoon
Yeah I figured that would come up...:)

Another thing to add that I forgot to mention up above was the pinout I used, may not have been clear. So:

Homelink pin 1 to car pin 1 (ground)
Homelink pin 2 to car pin 2 (switched ground)
Homelink pin 3 to red/blue wire on the makeup mirror ight right by the sunvior mount. (homelink power) (the other option would be to run a wire through the column to a source either switched or unswitched with the key based on your prefrences) from the car.

Again, hope that helps....

Reptile

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I want to give a BIG thanks to Teledawg and VWsandman for their posts.

I installed a homelink visor in my 02 Jetta today, and if it wasn't for sandman's addendum about the alternate wiring, I would still be in the garage scratching my head.
Many thanks for clear, and detailed instructions! :D

cosmic

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Silver Arrow
Great post. Thanks for the write-ups and additional info guys! Gonna try to wire mine up this weekend.

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
Question, I just finally got around to doing this today. I did it as how it is showed and when I extend the visor the light comes on. Can anyone explain why?

eagle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta
TeleDawg said:
Here is how I wired up the HomeLink visor in my 2004 Golf GLS TDi with a DIY plug and play wiring harness:

Here is the parts list:
1ea 1J0 973 332 Female connector
1ea 1C0 973 119 Housing
2ea 000 979 009 Repair wire, use 3 ends
1ea 000 979 132 Repair wire, use 2 ends
2ea 1" pieces of 1/8" heatshrink tubing
These are available from IMPEX FAP
The wiring connections are:
Connector 1J0 973 332 to Connector 1C0 973 119
pin 1 to pin 1
pin 2 to pin 2 & 3
This will allow the HomeLink control to operate without the ignition switch on.
Works great on my car and I didn't have to cut any wires

T.D.
Can you provide more specific instructions for doing this? I was going to use electrical tape and twist the wires together, but a friend assures me that this will result in electrical fire and that the connections will shake loose.

I'm not skilled in soldering. :(

But at least I have all of the parts - well, except the heat-shrink tubing - I have no idea where to buy that.

Thanks.

Jon_Mutiger

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6sp
Actually soldering isn't a good option in my opinion, use butt connectors with heat shrink.

Soldering results in broken wires over time.

ps. What the heck is homelink?
Jon

eagle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta
Jon_Mutiger said:
Actually soldering isn't a good option in my opinion, use butt connectors with heat shrink.

Soldering results in broken wires over time.
Great - so now I don't know what to do. :/

ps. What the heck is homelink?
It is an OEM garage-door opener solution.

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
So can anyone explain why my light comes on when I extend the visor? Also, you can get heat shrink at home depot or lowes.

eagle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta
Got it installed - awesome!

This is such a cool mod. A coworker brought in some crimp connectors, so we used those to fashion the adapter. Works perfectly. Awesome!

Now I'll be looking for a beige one for my wife's car. I picked up a gray 2004 Passat visor set on eBay for my 1.8T (black/gray interior), but my wife's has a tan interior.

I'll also be giving her my 2-button remote (currently she has only a 1-button).

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
eagle said:
Now I'll be looking for a beige one for my wife's car. I picked up a gray 2004 Passat visor set on eBay for my 1.8T (black/gray interior), but my wife's has a tan interior.
Watch the auctions of LKQOnline. They part out a lot of VWs, and I get lots of parts from them. My grey homelink visors were only $65 shipped...and they work great.

--Chris

eagle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta
Nihilator said:
Watch the auctions of LKQOnline. They part out a lot of VWs, and I get lots of parts from them. My grey homelink visors were only $65 shipped...and they work great.

--Chris
That's exactly where I got my gray ones... do you happen to know if the MKV visor is the same as the MKIV visor? They look the same to me...

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
eagle said:
That's exactly where I got my gray ones... do you happen to know if the MKV visor is the same as the MKIV visor? They look the same to me...
I would bet, even without seeing them, that they are not. The MKV is completely redesigned...there aren't many parts that would be common between the two.

--Chris

M206

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDI 150cv
hello, could someone help me, i need the vw code part of the 3 pin connector of the homelink..

cause during the install i've cut the original one to replace with my 2 pin one's.

or at least to know what colours are the pin number.

ex

pin 1 -> red
pin 2 -> green
pin 3 -> black

cause i tried to install it but it doest seem to receive the 12v power..

thanks

M206

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDI 150cv
hi to all, finally i've been able to install correclty the homlink visor.

everything work fine, the led works, i have coded my remote and the homelink seems to accept the code..

but..

the gate don't open..

i've tested if it's a multi-frequency code, (like stated in the .pdf manual in the homelink internet site) but it isn't.

the led seems to turn on rightly but (even if very close to the gate) it doesn't open or close it..

Any ideas??

Thanks a lot.

Byez

eagle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta
M206 said:
hi to all, finally i've been able to install correclty the homlink visor.

everything work fine, the led works, i have coded my remote and the homelink seems to accept the code..

but..

the gate don't open..

i've tested if it's a multi-frequency code, (like stated in the .pdf manual in the homelink internet site) but it isn't.

the led seems to turn on rightly but (even if very close to the gate) it doesn't open or close it..

Any ideas??

Thanks a lot.

Byez
Did you follow the two-step programming procedure? If your garage door opener uses rolling codes, the first step only programs the frequency. You need to do the second step to program the codes; this involves pushing a button on your garage door receiver, then pushing the home link visor button a few times so that the codes are programmed.

M206

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDI 150cv
eagle said:
Did you follow the two-step programming procedure? If your garage door opener uses rolling codes, the first step only programs the frequency. You need to do the second step to program the codes; this involves pushing a button on your garage door receiver, then pushing the home link visor button a few times so that the codes are programmed.
first of all thanks for your reply.

yes.i've follow the istructions.
after the first step i've tryed to keep pushed the coded button, but it doesn't blink as stated in the istructions (it remains only "on") and this means that my gate doesn't have the "rolling-codes"..

Right or not??