Should I listen to my shift nanny?

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
For the most part, it seems to be pretty good, but I find that in low load conditions (level ground or downhill) it's calling for a downshift, but I tell it to STFU as I am doing just fine lopping along at 1100 rpms.

There are some times when it seems to lose it's freaking mind and get stuck calling for a downshift when I am at 1800 rpm, low load. There is absolutely no erason to downshift at this time. I just chalk it up to the 'puter having a senior moment.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
It’s an annoyance, I assume it’s calibrated towards maximum mpg’s

pmm

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I've also noticed mine tells me to stay in lower gears through higher rpms while warming up.
I do that anyway... but only because I want to, not because it tells me.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
if it's in regen it wants rpms to build heat and exhaust flow.

This is an interesting point. Ocsaionally I find myself looking at the light calling for a downshift and think "you're freaking crazy". I chocked it up to an ECM brain fart, but it could be that it's in regen and it just wants some revs.

Sure do wish they had included a regen light. It would go a ways towards prolonging emissions system health.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
This is an interesting point. I've had my 2013 JSW for a few days now, and my point of comparison is my wife's 2015 Golf TDI 6MT. I feel like they are very different in that my JSW is seemingly always telling me to downshift like you say here, and my wife's golf is seemingly always telling me to upshift. It's strange.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MacTechG4

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy, Sol s
TDI
2012 Golf TDI (DSG)
I wouldn’t listen to it, then again, I also want a way to permanently disable all the stupid “nannies” like the traction “control” and the kickdown “feature @ in manual mode (if an affordable CPO manual comes up, I’ll most likely trade out of the DSG

yes I know I can disable trac. In vag-com and I can get a DSG tune to disable those features, but I shouldn’t have to pay extra to get the vehicle set up the way it should’ve been from the factory.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I skip 5th gear all the time

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

I find myself doing the same, particularly on highway entrance. Sometimes I do a little turbo vane cleaning on these on ramps in 3rd gear and go directly to 6th.

Really love 3rd and 4th gear pulls in this thing.