Wanted to get me for:
New Pass Side Lock Mech - $110+Labor
New Windshield - $550+Labor
Replacement "Skid Plates" for the Underside of Vehicle - $450.00+Labor
New set of OEM Tires - $680+Labor
Alignment - $80.00
Flux Capacitor - 1 Billion Dollars

Thats all I think.....

Every time I called these jokers, they were trying to add something else. I have been a shadetree mechanic for several years, but decided to bring it to the dealer because I have never worked on an import and Diesel Engines are new to me. The only thing on the list that I am unsure if I needed is the "Skid Plates". He said something about them missing and needed to protect and cool the engine....any thoughts?

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
Only thing that seams semi-reasonably priced is the alignment, though I wouldn't have the dealer do my alignment...take it to a trusted private shop.

The lock mechanism sounds like a price I would guess for it.

Side skirts...$450 is way too high. Check out World Impex with the part numbers, order them, and put them on yourself. Not as critical as the dealer has made you think.

Tires...do your research on tires and then head to somewhere like Discount Tire. Should be able to get away with $80-100 a tire for very decent tires, even OEM brand.

The stuff for $2k? Timing belt will cost you around $600-700 if you buy the parts and have someone who's knowledgable and the Dieselgeek parts kit includes the water pump, but DO get it done. That's the only high ticket item I see on there. I guarantee you can do better than $2k. Sounds like labor is the issue, and the dealer usually charges around $90 an hours last I remember. Find someone near you who can just help you do it or do it for cheap. Check out worldimpex.com and tdiparts.com for prices (and dieselgeek.com for the timing belt kit)

Last edited:

TDI
2000 Beetle TDi
Thanks, But they are not "Side Skirts", they are "Skid Plates". I'm pretty sure they go under the Chassis and "Protect" the engine from road debris. You know anything about them?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
You should have done all that you were capable of doing before going to the dealer. If you follow their rec thats a new Kia. :)

I should have responed to the OP - does the word sodomized mean anything to you. If you do decide to let them do the work I sure hope they use synthetic lube, OUCH

Last edited:

TDI
2000 Beetle TDi
Diesel Geek has really cool looking "Panzer" Plates for sale. Only problem I can see is Oil Changes. They seem to be a Permanent Mod.

P.S. - I never Thought of it that way wjdell, but you are right! Nice.

ForestHill

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI, sedan
Unless there's something special about the beetle in this regard, the windshield price is a total rip-off. I had the windshield on my '04 jetta replaced a few months back, and if insurance hadn't covered it, it would have cost me about $250.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
ForestHill said:
Unless there's something special about the beetle in this regard, the windshield price is a total rip-off. I had the windshield on my '04 jetta replaced a few months back, and if insurance hadn't covered it, it would have cost me about $250.
My jetta windshield was $400. Insurance covered zippo. *grumble* *grumble*

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
1001100 said:
Thanks, But they are not "Side Skirts", they are "Skid Plates". I'm pretty sure they go under the Chassis and "Protect" the engine from road debris. You know anything about them?
Right, they're the "skirts" that the OEM skid plate connects to, correct? I wasn't referring to the side skirt body panels on the side of the car...meant the ones on the engine. Sorry for the confusion.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
Bob_Fout said:
My jetta windshield was $400. Insurance covered zippo. *grumble* *grumble*
Mine tend to cost about $200-250 installed. However, insurance covers it as we have no deductible glass coverage (necessary out here..especially for us tailgaiters!). You can find them for like $150, but they're thinner glass that chip and break a lot easier. Usually the companies that use these also offer $50 back type incentives. Go with a glass company that doesn't offer an incentive. And don't do the dealer...they charge a lot more. And don't be afraid to shop around...prices vary a lot!

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
the side skirts are molded plastic plates (one on each side) that connect to the plastic "skid plate", which keep debris from coming in from the side/angle into the engine bay. the "skid plate" "protects" from underneath (and some may say deaden sound, but i can't hear any real difference, and direct airflow better). at least it keeps little objects from bouncing up and possibly getting into your serpentine belt.

the DG panzer plate is easy to take on/off if you really want to do bottom side changes (or you can drill a hole easily eith a dremel/drill) and install a fumoto valve. certainly no harder than taking off the plastic pan, if not a little bit easier IMO. with the panzer plate, you slightly modify your side skirts to fit with the new plate. i have always drained with the top on my TDIs and it's a breeze.

for $450, they probably want to replace the plastic belly ban and side skirts. what a waste. you might as well spend that on a panzer plate ($275), your side skirts are probably just fine, at least to work with the panzer. those things hang on there by two rather crappy screws anyhow.

TDI_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed
Don't do it! Everything is priced high or way overpriced.

$680 + labor for stock tire replacement? Go to Sam's club and get a full set of quality tires for $350 labor included with free rotations, balancing, flat repair, warranty etc... I bought a set of BFGoodrich TAs for that price.

Windshield $550 + labor? The whole thing including labor should not be more than $400.

I had my TB done with a dieselgeek deluxe kit, oil change, intercooler cleaning, coolant change, serpentine belt replacement for about $600 parts and labor buy a local TDI guru.

Look up a TDI guru in your area on tdiclub. Buy your own parts online tdiparts, metalmanparts, dieselgeek etc...

Only go to the dealer for stuff that you can not get done/find elsewhere.

Good luck!

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Great advice so far!!

I don't know in what part of New Jersey you are, but the TDI-Club Timing Belt Gurus that are more or less in your region are: UserID "Bowlerman" in Medford, UserID "Ritchieracket" in Barnegat, UserID "TDIJetta99" in Port Jervis, NY, and UserID "Metal Man" way out West in Sunbury, PA (in case you're heading that way sometime).

As far as the timing belt is concerned, you should read up on the procedure before deciding on anything... just so you could ask the correct questions... Please download:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf

As others have said, look at the _complete_ kits offered by some of the fine vendors here... (BTW, Metal Man [Dennis Marquette] also rents out the special lock-down tools for the TB change, in case you feel you're up to doing it yourself... check them out at www.metalnerd.com )

Good luck!!

Yuri.

TDI
2000 Beetle TDi
FINAL TOTAL FROM BURLINGTON VW........

$2,068.18

not even the courtesy of a reach around....

Lousy "Cashier" teeny boppers...

Call them, you can barely hear the receptionist...

and they scratched up the interior too...

bastards...

seriously done with them.

***BTW guys, I did not mean to sound like a jerk about the "Side Skirts". I understand the terminology now....Thanks.***

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...sigh...

Could you kindly look at your invoice and give us the exact part number for the timing belt? (particularly the suffix letter)... Ditto for any rollers that they may have replaced (most dealers do not replace any...) Finally, compare the parts that any of the vendors mentioned above include in their timing belt kits with what was installed in your car... (especially the bolts... again, most dealers don't replace the ones that MUST be replaced...)

I have a feeling that you'll be re-doing the timing belt sooner that you'd like, but I'd bet it's past the 12000 mile "warranty"...

Yuri.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Sigh x2--makes you wonder why he asked us? :confused:
Let me guess, the TB was part number: 038 109 119D (60k belt).

From my 100k kit:
Timing Belt 038 109 119 M
Serp belt 038 903 137J
Tensioner 038 109 243N
Camseal 038 103 085

Vac Pump Seal 038 145 345
Injection pump bolts 3@ N 903 285 04
Large roller 038 109 244M
Small top roller 058 109 244
Small roller bottom 038 109 244E
Waterpump 038 121 011A
Large roller bolt 1@ N 905 969 02
Engine Mount to body bolt 2@ N 905 969 02
Engine Mount to engine bracket bolt 2@ N 102 096 03

valve cover bolts: 3@ N 101 725 01
Vibration dampener bolts 4@ N 903 396 01
Engine bracket bolt short 2@ N 907 124 01
Engine bracket bolt long 1@ N 102 043 04

I'll also bet that if you have someone look it over they'll find a lot of missed/screwed up things.
Good luck, hope your engine doesn't go kaput. While you may think I am being sarcastic, I am 100% serious.
-BB

TDI
2000 Beetle TDi
I am never going back to Burlington VW (Stealership....funny)...... PLEASE! DOES ANYONE KNOW A GOOD TDI GUY IN SOUTH JERSEY NEAR BURLINGTON/MT. HOLLY?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1001100 said:
I am never going back to Burlington VW (Stealership....funny)...... PLEASE! DOES ANYONE KNOW A GOOD TDI GUY IN SOUTH JERSEY NEAR BURLINGTON/MT. HOLLY?
If you read up a few posts, you'll see that I mentioned UserID "Bowlerman" in Medford... Send him a Private Message and see if he can at least look at what the dealer did to the car...

Yuri.

TDI
2000 Beetle TDi
I contacted Bowlerman and he does everything BUT the water pump / timing chain for the Beetle. It's good to know that I can go to him for everything else, though.

BTW they charged me $60.00 for a master key (non-flip) that is made of nickel coated Brass. I can bend it between my fingers! The key blank was also a generic no-vee-dub-logo-cheap-o that makes me sick. I can pick up 2 replacement blanks that are factory solid steel or nickel for about 20 bucks. Don't fall for this one...

Last edited:

TDI
2000 Beetle TDi
I am buying the Atlas Skid Plate from Evolution minus the oil hole. Seems to me adding another hole to a plate that is soooooo easy to remove for service is not necessary. Does anyone know what these side skirts look like IN the NB? I know the "Diaper Pan" is missing from the car, but don't know if the skirts are too. Are these something I can see from the wheel well?