Should I do it!

Seanhizzo

TDI
None yet!
I have a chance to pick up a 2015 Passatt TDi SEL for about 23k out the door, with 20k miles on it. It's in amazing shape and has upgraded wheels on it.

My question is with the dieselgate going on, is this a good deal? Is it safe to buy without me losing my ass? It seems like a good price, and I'm in need of a mpg commuter.

I'm a new guy that is curious, please let me know how you guys feel. The car is super nice and calling my nameZ

Tell me nay or yay, and why.

Best case outcome and worst?

Thanks!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

I can't tell you yay or nay (you have to make that decision).

Best case: VW announces a quick and easy software update and the only "cost" will be more frequent DEF refills.
Worst case: VW can't "fix" the car and you have to sell it back to VW for less than you owe (or paid).

There are (of course) many other possibilities in between these 2 options.

Have Fun!

Don

Scobi-wan

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi 5 spd , slightly modified.
If I could I would . But that's just me. You'll either be happy or not and you won't know either without jumping in the icy waters. I say yay.

Scobi-wan

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi 5 spd , slightly modified.
If I could I would . But that's just me. You'll either be happy or not and you won't know either without jumping in the icy waters. I say yay.
But that's my opinion , you make the choice you feel comfortable doing . What does your heart tell you ????

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I have a chance to pick up a 2015 Passatt TDi SEL for about 23k out the door, with 20k miles on it. It's in amazing shape and has upgraded wheels on it.

My question is with the dieselgate going on, is this a good deal? Is it safe to buy without me losing my ass? It seems like a good price, and I'm in need of a mpg commuter.

I'm a new guy that is curious, please let me know how you guys feel. The car is super nice and calling my nameZ

Thanks!
The answer depends on a couple of things:

1. Do you like the current state of the car, regarding performance and fuel economy. It sounds like this is a "yes".

2. Will your state REQUIRE you to show up and have the modifications done when the time comes (to register your car the next time!!). If not, refer to question 1. If so, read question 3...

3. Will you like the car after modifications, or not.

The answer to the second question is critical. In some states, Diesels are not tested... You may not even have vehicle emissions testing in your region (we have NO testing, just safety inspection... horn turn signals, etc).

Last edited:

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
That is an excellent deal. For comparison purposes, one week before dieselgate i paid 20k for a 2012 passat SE with 40k miles on it.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Done! Picked it up today. Put a quick 100 miles on it and love it.
Congratulations. Follow your dream. I regret selling my Golf TDI every day.
Just can't beat the torque and MPG of the TDI also the sweet sound. ;)

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
Hopefully value rises when fix is stated and complete. How often do I need to fill up the adblue?
Had mine almost a year and havent put a drop in there. 10 to 15k miles it seems from what ive been reading of others experiences. Probably going to be more often once the recall starts happening