Should I buy a TDI PD or wait

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Here's the situation, in 6 months I'm moving back to toronto, and we won't need 2 cars. I'm going to sell both my current TDI's, and buy a newer one. I like the idea of the 09, but the price is too high so I'm left with the slightly older TDI PD. I'm a little wrried about the cam lobe problem, and according to my mech, the TDI PD will not make 200K.
Is this accurate? if so why not change the cam every 100,000K or is it too cost prohibative? Will a VW warrany cover this problem if I buy one from a dealership?

EMSbyDay

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
I'm sorry, WHO is telling you the PD wont make 200k? Why not? Is it just the cams/lifters they say need replaced?

Just curious as I'm kinda in the same boat, Looking at a MkIV TDI and considering a TDI but am worried hearing stories about the PD.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
lotsa pd's out there with their original cams past 200 and into their 300K km's regions. The cam wear problem isnt half as bad as most ALH owners make it out to be.

As Yatzee said, most of the known cases are in the BRM's be even those cases are few and far between.

lightseast

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 golf tdi
i have a 2005 golf tdi pd auto with 270 000kms with absolutely no eng/trans issues and it runs great.My dads 2006 brm pd/dsg is at 230 000kms and also runs great .both cars owned since new and all maintenance and correct oils used.I guess it comes down to proper maintence . i would not buy one without good records

cheers

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
lightseast said:
and i missed the point of the post both original cams
the PD's are supposedly wearing out cams, but I believe that it's being blown out of proportion.

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
What years are the BRM, is it the 2006?

I see there is an 04 TDI PD sport for sale, 150K for $8900. I used to own one and loved it! I would get another in a flash. are these problems only happening to the newer PD or are they failing also in the old body styles?

Last edited:

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
My BRM looks fine at 101k....

oilhammer sees more TDIs in a week than most of us do in a month and he has several customers with 200k+ on BRM original camshafts.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
kcfoxie said:
My BRM looks fine at 101k....

oilhammer sees more TDIs in a week than most of us do in a month and he has several customers with 200k+ on BRM original camshafts.
exactly. I think the issue has been overblown. Doesn't oilhammer have a PD?

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I don't know, he talks about his early 90s Jetta Diesel he has put 300,000 miles on. I think the misses may have a PD?

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Oilhammer owns a 2004 Passat TDI He has something like 90000 pretty much trouble free miles. Again correct oils and proper intervals.

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Should I have the VC pulled off and have the cam inspected before I buy one?

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
KAG said:
Should I have the VC pulled off and have the cam inspected before I buy one?
Not a bad idea. But you need to know what to look for. I wouldn't know what to look for. Unless i saw a lot of scoring on the cams, then i guess thats a sign of something bad. Otherwise, the other best thing to look for is a history of receipts or records, showing what king of maintenance the car had.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
My Cam failed at 201,000km.
505.01 5w40 oil used for all but two oil changes which I could not find records for....so it could have been the proper oil, but won't ever know.
Same dealer did the changes though.
I've had the car since 113,000km and can confirm 505.01 5w40 has been used since then.

No symptoms until one day driving home, and was done within 10 minutes. I didn't drive it once it started making a Thump.Thump.Thump sound.
Lost most of it's usable power. First sign was a slight vibration when trying to accelerate in 5th gear. 10km later I shut it off.

Cam, lifters, bearings, all replaced.

Runs VERY well now! :)

I was upset, but in the 15 months and 87,000km I've had the car, it has not cost me a dime in any repairs, period. (other than maintenance and timing belt)
I figure over that 87,000km I have saved anywhere between $1500 and $2500 in fuel depending on what else I could have been driving.

As well, 87,000km is about 4 yrs of driving for the normal person (Not a normal TDI club member) and zero repairs in 4 yrs of mileage isn't bad.

Of course it would be nice if this didn't happen, but such is life, you win some, you loose some. I contemplated selling the car once the repairs were done many times, but shouldn't have this issue again. (apparently it's an update cam, and lifters). At least hope I don't have this issue again since many members have WAY more miles that me, and have not had any issues.

Bottom line, I'm over it, and will continue to enjoy the car.
Still sucks though!

VwPodRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD150, 98 Jetta TDI
270,000kms on my pd and has been heavily modified since 120,000kms. By heavily modified i mean big turbos.. and injectors.. have ALWAYS ran OEM spec oil from the dealer, and their filters. Also change my oil every 10,000kms-12,000kms. Popped the valve cover just last week to have a peak and no signs of wear at all:D just my 2 cents. I personally think that most of the cam and lifter failures are from ppl that try to run NON oem spec oil and stretch the oil change intervals.. but thats just my 2 cents

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
VwPodRacer said:
270,000kms on my pd and has been heavily modified since 120,000kms.
Heavily modded, you sure? That is usually 200+HP...:D

Anyways, in my opinion/experience, cam failures usually arise from poor break-in of the cam after it's built.

So since this cam issue is scattered all over the map, are all BRM's built at the same facility? Could it be a variance of their standardized work procedures at different plants?

What are the open/closed valve spring pressures of a BRM?

New cams/lifters work harden together in the first 20min of breakin. It doesn't really matter what you do afterwards.

The engines that have had their cam/lifters changed; any failures? What is the startup procedure after the repair?

At TDIfest2009, they pulled a valve cover off for inspection. The lifters closest to the pulley's looked like they were flaking and chipping. The cam lobe looked fine.

Maybe i should take the lessons learned in non-TDI cam/lifter failures i've seen, apply it to the BRM's, and sell bulletproof cam/lifters to the TDI world....hmmmmm.......

Pete

VwPodRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD150, 98 Jetta TDI
petea4 said:
Heavily modded, you sure? That is usually 200+HP...:D

Anyways, in my opinion/experience, cam failures usually arise from poor break-in of the cam after it's built.

So since this cam issue is scattered all over the map, are all BRM's built at the same facility? Could it be a variance of their standardized work procedures at different plants?

What are the open/closed valve spring pressures of a BRM?

New cams/lifters work harden together in the first 20min of breakin. It doesn't really matter what you do afterwards.

The engines that have had their cam/lifters changed; any failures? What is the startup procedure after the repair?

At TDIfest2009, they pulled a valve cover off for inspection. The lifters closest to the pulley's looked like they were flaking and chipping. The cam lobe looked fine.

Maybe i should take the lessons learned in non-TDI cam/lifter failures i've seen, apply it to the BRM's, and sell bulletproof cam/lifters to the TDI world....hmmmmm.......

Pete
HAHAHAHA another one hitting me on the 200whp lol:D There is a set of lifters that are out there.... that ARE a OEM part in a PD engine that are black anodized to help with the wear problem. And they come from factory like that:cool: You just gotta know where to look when upgrading:eek: I have a set for my PD150 build but they werent cheap:eek: