Should I buy a 2001 Jetta TDI Wagon for a taxi?

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
Thomas,

Here in England where fuel is REALLY expensive no sane person drives anything but a diesel as a taxi! The Jetta seems ideal. Some might moan about the size but you can soon shut them up when you tell them what's under the hood. (You sure this is a diesel?)

If you run a diesel warm all day and look after the maintenence they last almost forever.

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
Actually, a few years ago, there was a "taxi" version of a Seat Toledo (=Vento/Jetta, more or less) offered by the manufacturer. I think it had a beefed-up clutch and a handful of other minor taxiwork-related mods. You certainly see a few diesel Toledos, or whatever they're called now, around in use as taxis, and I suspect they are in wide use in Spain and elsewhere.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Don't hold your breath for that TDI wagon.

Rumor number 1 is that the TDI engine won't be offered until 2002 model year.

Rumor number 2 is that the wagon version of the Jetta/Golf may not come to Canada at all in any form, because it apparently does not meet Canadian bumper standards (which are not the same as the American standards).

Any further info on either of these?

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI mit UPsolute

Sacha

Veteran Member
Thomas, why don't you consider a sedan Jetta?? I'm originally from Montreal, and there is a lot of taxi that has TDI's jetta(most of them or A3 model). I dont know if you have seen the trunk on Jetta's, but it is very roomy.

I have 2 kids and a wife, and you should see all the stuff that fits in there when we go on vacation, just amazing.

Oh yeah, my black Labrador fits in the car too when we leave

Like Gofaster said, the jetta station-wagon TDI might not come over.

------------------
Y2K Jetta GLS TDI, Atl.Blue/Beige leather, Sunroof, bug deflector, Cd changer, 5 speed, drop-in K&N air filter, descreened(all of them)

Robert P

I was talking to my dealer again today to find out when and if the Jetta Wagon in coming to Canada and whether the TDI will be available in it. His response was that the wagon is being introduced in the United States first to test the waters of consumer demand and then should be making its way to Canadian dealers in April or May of 2001. The TDI availability is still up in the air. I told him if the TDI wasn't available that they might as well not import it. Car is too expensive for the size when compared to other gasoline powered cars. He said he drives a TDI himself and he definitely agrees with that thought. The Passat TDI seems like it will never happen according to his sources. Still can't believe Volkswagen can't bring them over here when they already have them in Europe. Keep looking at all my options and a Passat TDI wagon would be the all around ideal vehicle.

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
Robert P -

The Jetta Wagon (to be) seems to be a Mexican creation - I'm not aware of any Jetta/Bora wagon or estate car in Europe. Golf, yes, we've had that as an estate for some years,and it's quite popular, but never a Jetta.

The Bora/Jetta/Vento have never sold well in Europe because of the European penchant for hatchbacks in that size of car.

russla

Veteran Member
This Bora/Jetta Golf hybred, issue keeps popping up, and it's also covered in the Automobile review thread

The Bora, called the Jetta in North America, has an estate version. (station wagon or break)

The Golf, has an estate version.
(wagon or break)

They are the same platform. The Golf front end looks like a golf, the bora estate, looks like a bora, but from the side and back, they are damn near identical.

The Bora/jetta wagon, is the higher end model, and comes with a better choice of options and engines and costs more.

The golf wagon is the poorer man's wagon, with crappy interiors and smaller engines. (you can't get the high end golf options/equipment levels like Confort, or GTI in the wagon).

If you want better engines/options in a wagon, from VW, you have to spring for the Bora or Passat Estates, Breaks, Varients, whatever you call them.

I know this, because for my company car, I wanted a Bora wagon, but I have ended up with a Golf (with the PD115 motor) non wagon.

Kind regards

Russ

Could it be that they don't import the bora wagon into the UK? I haven't looked at the UK VW site?

[This message has been edited by russla (edited November 24, 2000).]

Thomas Yazer

When I heard that VW will be shipping a Jetta TDI Wagon to Canada,I gave the idea of saving hundreds of dollars in fuel a serious thought. I'm presently driving a big boat of a car for a taxi--a Chevrolet Caprice--and it sucks gas like anything. Would the Jetta Wagon make a good taxi? Has anyone had any experience in a Jetta wagon/sedan taxi TDI? Is the loss of passenger space too big of an issue to buy one? Gas is becoming so expensive that it almost gives me no choice but to get one and suffer the loss of some comfort for my passengers. Is the back seat bigger in the wagon because it is probably a bench seat? Can you get a trunk/roof rack?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. Email me if anyone has any pertinent information.

russla

Veteran Member
Well I hadn't checked the UK site, so let me modify my tirade

In the UK, I see that they don't have the Bora wagon available, so there, you can get a loaded Golf with many engine options, (but it's RHD)
In France, the situation is still Golf wagon, lowend and less expesive, Bora Wagon,
more expensive and better options.

I believe someone posted elsewhere that in DE, it was similiar to France, so perhaps it may be similiar for the rest of the LHD continent.

Best Regards