Short Curcuit in Anti-Theft/Interior Lights Grid

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Well my #14 10 amp fuse has blown twice and renders my anti-theft/interior lights/power locks and windows useless. I put the meter on #14 and it's pulling about 10.65 as is, ignition off. I open the hood, it'll go up to about 11.81 and not quite that much when I try to pop the trunk (which as I'm sure most of you that know what I'm talking about, also doesn't work).

I am hoping someone has gone down this road before and has some quick go to places I could try to find the short. I've been looking at the wiring diagrams and my head is starting to hurt. It's been several years since I've had to use a wiring diagram (thank God) and do anything like this and my patients (lack there of) is getting to me. It was great in the Air Force when you run into a problem like this on an F-16 because you (being the Crew Chief) would generally call out the Electricians. ;)

Thanks!
--Adam

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Sadly, it wasn't the culprit. They are still working as they should. You don't know how much I wanted it to be that simple. Thanks though!

I guess I'm going to do without some things for a while because money is tight at the moment and I'd rather not take it anyone anyways. This has me thinking this car is short prone because I remember having a problem with honking my horn and it messing with the radio (interference). Also, when I change from recycling cabin air to outside air, it cause interference on the radio too. What fun.

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
OK, since I haven't got any more suggestions and my incompetence is too great to find the short, I went out on a limb and put in a 15 amp fuse since my meter shows a spike of about 11.50. I know this really isn't the smartest move but I needed these functions for a recent LONG trip. No problems thus far. The car hasn't burst into flames, nor any of the systems. I'm hoping the system with give me a code to pinpoint the short when either I buy a reader or find someone with one.

Last edited:

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
Is this problem on the 01 Jetta? If so, search for coolant migration & make sure that isn't your problem.

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
OK guys, a new development on the short front. My right front single light went out and when I went to go replace the bulb today, it wasn't burnt out...at least not in the traditional way (filament). One of the contacts was sure burnt--all the way through! No fuses blew that I have found thus far and everything appears to be working as usual. Hopefully I'll have time, or make time, today to go through some diagrams to try to chase this short down. This should help narrow things down--that is if it is related.

For any of you, does this help raise any flags off-hand for answering my original question?

--Adam

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Nothing aye? I've got to say I still haven't had time to check the diagrams--college has me a bit busy at the moment. I might even break down and take it to a dealer if things don't lighten up.

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Well hell! Thanks for bringing this to my attention kromicacid. I've got to say, this is the most confusing forum I've ever been too!

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
take a look at the rubber sleaves/boots that cover the wiring going to the doors. Sometimes it cracks and allows the wires to corrode.

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I just got a CodeScout Autoxray today, and it's showing a P0380. The light's been on for a few weeks now, but I've had a short I couldn't trace down way prior to that. The light comes on about 15-20 seconds after start-up. Before it a month or so, I had the #14 10 amp fuse blow. Since not having interior lights, use of window and the alarm was a bit of a problem for a long trip I was about to take. I rolled the dice and put in a 15 amp for the trip. The meter was saying the spike was peeking around 11-11.5 so I didn't feel too worry about melting wires. Well needless to say, the priority of getting down to fixing the problem went a weeks. Then I had the right front turn single light blow out, or so I thought. The bulb filament was fine. It burnt through the exposed lead on the bulb itself. Then came the engine light a couple weeks later.

And to top that, a little over a week ago my turn single blinker deal (the thing that makes the actual sound) started doing its thing when not using the single and would be pretty sporadic in speed too. It usually just did it after using the single, but not always. That lasted a few days and stopped. It started back up today, but not as often as it was after it first started.

So that's where I'm at as of now. So does that pinpoint this error more to a specific problem? It's been in the 20s (Fahrenheit) here in the morning and haven't had a problem at all with starts--I give it about 10 seconds before turning it over and it starts right up.