Shipping cars across the country

HEATHKIT

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Hello,

We are moving from Ontario to BC and we need to ship both of our cars. Does anyone know off a good and reputable company?

Thanks!

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
I think it was SeaRail I used to ship from Alberta to Toronto. Very reasonable and had no issues.

bibendum

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta tdi
Usbip is legit, thing is, you should be specific when you ask for quotes. Business address, or house address, can you pay cash, do you require an enclosed trailer service, are your dates a little flexible. These are all important factors when getting a solid price.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Livingston is (was) searail - used to work there.

Livingston and Hansens will probably both get you the lowest quote, as they are the only two car-movers who can ship by rail (CN and CP respectively).

Hansens yard is in Scarborough off of Markham rd., and Livingston is in Vaughan/Concord off of Keele.

Both will pick up at your address for an additional charge.

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
Used hansens a couple of years back to get my current ride from Vancouver to my place of work- Arrived on a flatbed- no issues= Think it took about 10 days- Job well done.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
There may be another alternative. These companies arrange for someone to drive your car, they pay for the fuel.
I did it to drive to California.
Companies have names such as "Drive away".

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2002 Golf 5 speed TDI Indigo Blue Pearl
Welcome to the west coast. I did the move from Ontario to BC 8 years ago. I've moved one TDI out here via searail. No issues.
I tried to move a van out here last year, but found it more difficult and expensive than before. Turned out to be cheaper to pay for the fuel for the drive out.

There are a lot of people going back and forth, might be best to find a driver.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
can you pay cash
If a company asked if I wanted a cash deal, I'd run. Cash deal = no recourse if something goes wrong. I'd never do anything like this on a cash basis.

As for getting someone else to drive the car, think of liability/insurance issues. Is it worth the risk of your rates getting jacked if this person has an accident?

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
pay for shipping...I would never trust someone to put all those miles on my car ...wear and tear and god knows how they drive and brake etc.....on top of that if the windshield gets smucked or any damage to car it will be such a hassle....bite the bullet and ship em....call the VW dealer...they know companies that ship as they do dealer trades from the west and manitoba all the time...call a big dealer and ask to speak to the Sales manager....

bibendum

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta tdi
If a company asked if I wanted a cash deal, I'd run. Cash deal = no recourse if something goes wrong. I'd never do anything like this on a cash basis.

As for getting someone else to drive the car, think of liability/insurance issues. Is it worth the risk of your rates getting jacked if this person has an accident?
I don't mean undocumented cash, I'm mean cash, check, certified funds all taken with a reciept and contract. Only to avoid paying 3-5% in processing fees.

HEATHKIT

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Thanks everyone. I'll call Livingston and Hansens. MVS was also another company that I found out and they quoted me $1600 per car!!!