Shim Headlights

9Rockr

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-Spd, BSM Delete
The adjustment screws on the original lights had stripped so I replaced both lights with aftermarket ones. The lighting is still terrible, lights the ground 20-30 feet in front of the car.. Has anyone shimmed their headlights? And if so what did you use?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
If you need to lift the beam, I've used just some ¼" acrylic cut in 1" squares with hole drilled for (longer) mounting screw.

Helping someone else recently, though, the idea struck me to maybe try some cork - wine bottle might be a little too small, but something around 1" diameter from a hobby supply store might work nicely - slightly compressible if you need to move up/down a little.

9Rockr

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-Spd, BSM Delete
If you need to lift the beam, I've used just some ¼" acrylic cut in 1" squares with hole drilled for (longer) mounting screw.

Helping someone else recently, though, the idea struck me to maybe try some cork - wine bottle might be a little too small, but something around 1" diameter from a hobby supply store might work nicely - slightly compressible if you need to move up/down a little.
Would you know the mounting screw specs off hand by chance? I realize it just needs to be 1/4" longer but looking for the pitch, diameter and thread.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Oh - they're nothing special. They're not threaded bolts, but more like the fender liner screws.
I just looked at the stock headlight screws
and then dug through the screw bin until I found something similar; went with stainless steel wood screw with Phillips head and a washer. It's worked for years.