She's alive!

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Well, I finally got the new 17/22 in, after the great VNT explosion of Feb. 12 2011, with a TON of help by my buddy Steven (wandlc). I drove about 50 miles last night, just enjoying being able to drive MY car again.

It took us quite a while, but we encountered some issues (in new parts) that needed addressing. Anyway, the amount of time it took is a moot point since my car is running perfectly again!

Some things I'd like to mention:

When pulling the oil drain plug, approximately 2 quarts of oil came out (good news, at least I think so).

Exhaust reducing couplers are hard to come by. We had to get a weld-on reducer and cut slits in it with an angle grinder so it could be clamped. This is a temporary thing until I get full 2.5" exhaust made.

Definitely specify where you want the the hole drilled and tapped for the EGT thermocouple. I had some issues with the EGR cooler. It's partially my fault since I DID order an EGR cooler delete (which I'm not going to use afterall, due to emissions requirements). I would have rather had it in a place that could be used easily with any type of equipment used.

The 17/22 sounds AWESOME when it's spooling. :D I just need to have my tune redone since I have a 3Bar MAP now.

Thanks to everyone that offered advice and suggestions! Thanks to Steven for the awesome help! Looks like I'll be making it to the NorCal GTG!

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Glad you are going to make it! Now I need to get a 17/22 as well ... ;)

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Glad you are going to make it! Now I need to get a 17/22 as well ... ;)
Thanks! LOL! Didn't you just get a 1749VB? :p

I was going to put all my new brake stuff and filters on, but I'm going to hold off so I actually have some wrenching to do when I get up there. I'm wondering if anyone has a power bleeder. That would make my life much easier. :D

wandlc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB GLS TDI
Kevin,

Glad to hear the car drove so well, since I was only able to see the initial start up. Are all the gauges working? Yes, it would have gone faster with things being more plug and play but all in all didn't require too much extra effort. After you get an updated tune we'll have to go for a drive. Maybe check with vwmikel and see if he will indeed be at the GTG and get your tune updated then. Have fun at the GTG.

Steven

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Steven,
Yeah, it drives really smooth! The gauges are working perfectly. Finally being able to see the EGT's climb and fall is pretty informative. I've been in correspondence with Mike about revising the tune. He said he wasn't sure if he'll be able to make it. So, I might just have to wait until he has a loaner ECU or just buy the flasher from him. We'll see. :D Thanks again, Steven, I owe you BIG TIME! Just let me know when you're going to do your timing belt. It'll be a good learning experience. I'm going to have to do mine in about 17k miles.