Shell v-power diesel

skatanic

Veteran Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Location
Hamilton, ON
TDI
'00 Golf 450k
I thought I would let everyone know what additive that shell uses in their v-power diesel. It's an additive called nemo 2061 and shell mixes it at a ratio of 4L of additive for every 4700L of diesel fuel.

Anyone know anything else about nemo 2061?
 

skatanic

Veteran Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Location
Hamilton, ON
TDI
'00 Golf 450k
I'd doubt that the additive would vary. Its added at the pump via 4L bottles, and the pump mixes it with the diesel as you fuel up.
 

NB_TDi

Vendor
Joined
Mar 16, 2008
Location
NB, Canada █♣█
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
skatanic said:
I'd doubt that the additive would vary. Its added at the pump via 4L bottles, and the pump mixes it with the diesel as you fuel up.
Wrong.

The fuel is made by different refineries all over the country. Like here in Saint John. Irving makes fuel for...Irving, Canadian Tire, Co-op, Petro-Canada, Esso and many more. They put the additives in while it's being made. I've seen it with my own two eyes, several times.

Shell here in Saint John is made in Nova Scotia and shipped in.

It's the same drill across the world my friend.
 

skatanic

Veteran Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Location
Hamilton, ON
TDI
'00 Golf 450k
I've seen the additive being added to the diesel fuel at the pump. This particular shell has one tank for diesel, and then mixes at the pump to differentiate it between v-power and regular diesel. The bottle is shell branded and definitely added at the station.
 

NB_TDi

Vendor
Joined
Mar 16, 2008
Location
NB, Canada █♣█
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
I've seen countless times pump jockeys add stuff to tanks. That doesn't mean that's what makes it premium.

They probably were adding a water emulsifier or whatever.
 

skatanic

Veteran Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Location
Hamilton, ON
TDI
'00 Golf 450k
The additive is added at the pump that is mixed as it is being pumped. The basic diesel and v-power diesel are from the same underground tank.

I agree that the additives in the basic diesel are the same across the coutry. If the v-power additives are added at the distribution location, then the basic and v-power diesel are one in the same. That would not make any sense.

Just to clarify, this is for Ontario. Shell could use a different system in the east. Also this station has the choice of regular diesel and v-power diesel while pumping. Forgive any format/spelling errors, this is from a cell.
 

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2009
Location
Henderson, NV
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I'm still trying to find the lubricity and cetane ratings for Shell V-Power Diesel. I can't find it anywhere

Anyone got that?
 

patter98

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2009
Location
TC, Michigan
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
tditom said:
it's currently not available in the US. try contacting Shell.ca
I have a Shell Truck Stop here in Traverse City, MI. It sells two forms of diesel at its pumps. One is #2 Diesel and the second is Premium Diesel it is usually 3-4cents more. I am wondering if that is "V-Power" Diesel. It has all i have been using for 2 months now as the word premium caught my eye as no one else offers it in town and there is no BP Diesel offerings in town either.

Any idea on what i am buying at shell?
 

tditom

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Sep 5, 2001
Location
san antonio & austin
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
patter98 said:
I have a Shell Truck Stop here in Traverse City, MI. It sells two forms of diesel at its pumps. One is #2 Diesel and the second is Premium Diesel it is usually 3-4cents more. I am wondering if that is "V-Power" Diesel. It has all i have been using for 2 months now as the word premium caught my eye as no one else offers it in town and there is no BP Diesel offerings in town either.

Any idea on what i am buying at shell?
my suggestion is to get ahold of the fuel distributor that serves that pump and ask them what the Premium Diesel has that makes more expensive.
 

NB_TDi

Vendor
Joined
Mar 16, 2008
Location
NB, Canada █♣█
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Oddly enough the V-power here is the same as regular diesel elsewhere. Their regulair diesel is about 2-3 cents less per liter.
 

Performance_Addict

Veteran Member
Joined
May 21, 2007
Location
Michigan
TDI
2014 Q7 TDI Prestige
I live in Michigan and we have a BP that sells "Premium" diesel. I asked the clerk why they call it Premium and he said becasue it wasn't farm grade. It is the same as other stations that sell regular Diesel, but they label theirs Premium and charge 8 cents more. Ugh...
 

tditom

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Sep 5, 2001
Location
san antonio & austin
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Performance_Addict said:
I live in Michigan and we have a BP that sells "Premium" diesel. I asked the clerk why they call it Premium and he said becasue it wasn't farm grade. It is the same as other stations that sell regular Diesel, but they label theirs Premium and charge 8 cents more. Ugh...
Where is this at?
 

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Location
Chicago IL USA
TDI
2006 Golf
Joe_Meehan said:
Why should I worry?
You shouldn't. Your anti-additive stance is well known.

I used one tank of Shell V-Power diesel on my way down from Quebec last year and noticed... nothing different. Fuel economy, power, (absence of) smoke, sound & NVH were unchanged from most of the ULSD/B5/11/20 I used for the rest of my roadtrip.
 

dwbuster_

Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2009
Location
Ohio
TDI
2010 JSW
I have no idea if it is shell v-power, but I had an email conversation with a regional sales manager for shell and he said that later this year they "will be producing a diesel fuel that has been successfully tested and used in Europe that exceeds all current US specifications."
 

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Location
Chicago IL USA
TDI
2006 Golf
dwbuster_ said:
I have no idea if it is shell v-power, but I had an email conversation with a regional sales manager for shell and he said that later this year they "will be producing a diesel fuel that has been successfully tested and used in Europe that exceeds all current US specifications."
Shell V-Power is not available in the United States, nor have I read any information that stated they were considering selling it here.

They may have a new additive formulation coming out but I somehow doubt we'll start getting the GTL blend that most European countries know as V-Power diesel. Once again, the US sucks hind tit when it comes to diesel fuel.
 

GTIDan

Veteran Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2009
Location
So. California
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
scurvy said:
Shell V-Power is not available in the United States, nor have I read any information that stated they were considering selling it here.

They may have a new additive formulation coming out but I somehow doubt we'll start getting the GTL blend that most European countries know as V-Power diesel. Once again, the US sucks hind tit when it comes to diesel fuel.
You/we don't know that. With emission controls being the most stringent in the world here in the US, the diesel we're getting could well be of a higher grade than what's sold in Europe. No, I don't know that for sure.

And here in California, the very highest standard is most likely what we're getting in order to pass CARB tests.

I think it just shows how much we Americans are in awe of 'super' sounding names. Like 110 percent is more than 100 percent.........say what?

Stay with a major brand with high volume and you'll be fine....

Drive more/worry less.
 

b4black

Veteran Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2004
Location
IL
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
Diesel is the US is tailored to the Heavy Duty industry. In general, high cetane diesels have lower density and cost more to make. Low density = less BTU/gallon. Less BTU means less fuel economy. Ask any trucker if he would be willing to pay more money and get less fuel economy in trade for higher cetane.
 

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Location
Chicago IL USA
TDI
2006 Golf
GTIDan said:
You/we don't know that.
Yes, I do. We are routinely stuck with 40CN / 520µm HFRR wear scar fuel - if indeed it actually meets that spec. IIRC fuel can measure up to 590µm and still be considered 'in-spec'. Only since the ULSD mandate did we get sulfur levels well below 500ppm.

What's the norm in Europe? From what I've seen on pumps and read, it's 50+ CN, 460µm maximum, 50 ppm sulfur. I believe it's the same in Canada, but 15ppm sulfur. Many developing countries also have fuel with the same specs.

We have crap fuel because we have a crap specification for on-road diesel here.
 

Ookpic

Veteran Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Location
London, ON - Port Huron, MI
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd, 2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Fixmy59bug said:
I'm still trying to find the lubricity and cetane ratings for Shell V-Power Diesel. I can't find it anywhere

Anyone got that?
Here's an excellent thread on Cetane Ratings in Canada and US. I have tried PetroCan, Sunoco Gold and Shell V-Power. PetroCan is supposed to be the highest but with my car I can hear more "clatter" than with Sunoco Gold or Shell V-Power. When I emailed Shell regarding the cetane rating of the V-Power they did get back to me but did not nail down any numbers. I'm assuming it is higher than 46 as this is the regular.
 

bwcomputers

Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Location
British Columbia, Canada
TDI
Golf, 03, Blue
'MIL' check engine light with V-Power

I am in the vancouver BC area.

Last fall (2009) I tried a tank of Shell V-power diesel as I got onto the highway going to Kelowna. This is only about 300kms away, but before I got there, my check engine light came on. I did not feel a difference, performance was the same etc. After I used up that tank (2 weeks later) I filled with my normal esso diesel. 1/2 way through that tank the light went off and has not been on again since. (Now may and about 6000kms later) I have run many different tanks including B40 with no problems.

Has anyone else had *or heard of* this problem?
 

snakeye

Veteran Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Location
Montreal, Canada
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Ookpic said:
Here's an excellent thread on Cetane Ratings in Canada and US. I have tried PetroCan, Sunoco Gold and Shell V-Power. PetroCan is supposed to be the highest but with my car I can hear more "clatter" than with Sunoco Gold or Shell V-Power. When I emailed Shell regarding the cetane rating of the V-Power they did get back to me but did not nail down any numbers. I'm assuming it is higher than 46 as this is the regular.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=210677

Here's another thread. Shell v-power is 45+ apparently.
 
Top