Shell announces nitrogen enhanced gasoline

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
Drove by a Shell station today & saw a sign advertising "Nitrogen Enhanced" gasoline. I had to laugh about the thought of why anybody would want nitrogen in their gasoline. This is what CNET had to say about it http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10185640-48.html
I guess their will be some people thinking they will get more power & better fuel economy because the sign says it it "nitrogen enhanced". I want to see when they start selling the "plutonium" grade gasoline.

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
One of the nice things about diesel fuel is it is less susceptible to these marketing gimmicks.. at least in the US where it is less popular than gasoline.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
nortones2 said:
Presumably the detergent additive already used by the "premium" brands.
Likely and it is also likely that the oil companies are just advertising the better fuel additive packages that all US gasoline must have today.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
the gasoline is not enhanced with nitrogen, the additives used it in are. Supposed to work better in newer DI engines.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Nitrogen itself does next to nothing in gasoline, but its compounds have well-known properties as explosives and combustion accelerants (e.g. TNT - trinitro-toluene, EHN - ethylhexylnitrate, nitromethane, amyl nitrate, etc.). If the advertised additive(s) helps to accelerate combustion in an engine without affecting the knocking propensity, some benefits in fuel efficiency (of a very small order, a few percent at most) is conceivable and could be noticed after several tankfuls.

The quantity of additive used would be in the order of parts per million (ppm), so the affect on NOx emissions in- and of itself will be negligable, but any increase in combustion rate will tend to increase NOx, which would then get converted in a 3-way catalyst in a gasoline engine at over 95% effectiveness anyway...

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
pruzink said:
Drove by a Shell station today & saw a sign advertising "Nitrogen Enhanced" gasoline. I had to laugh about the thought of why anybody would want nitrogen in their gasoline. This is what CNET had to say about it http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10185640-48.html
I guess their will be some people thinking they will get more power & better fuel economy because the sign says it it "nitrogen enhanced". I want to see when they start selling the "plutonium" grade gasoline.
I began seeing that sign a month or so ago at the Shell near where I live and I meant to google on it to see what kind of marketing BS it is. My guess is that it is a standard gasoline additive that all refiners use and its a nitrogen containing compound.

--Nate

grizzlydiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 speed
does that mean the fuel is carbonated???? or, nitronated??? i would imagine the fizz would cause filling problems, what with nitrogen being a gas and all.....

nortones2

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly Passat 1.9 110hp
Guinness contains nitrogen, and carbon dioxide, under pressure, and gives a nice smooth head when poured, but I don't recall any such thrill with gasoline....

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
mtbmaniac said:
... are NOx emissions being increased?
I agree with TDIMeister in that the added N is insignificant in the light of 75-80% of the intake charge air is already nitrogen. But I disagree in that the amine compounds are not the nitrate compounds normally associated with explosives or the combustion enhancers you find in diesel additives.

Gasoline combustion additives have the exact opposite goal in mind. Higher quality (higher octane) ratings in gasoline are meant to inhibit combustion during compression. The desired effect for diesels is exactly opposite: higher quality of fuel will ignite more readily under compression.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Lots of issues (particularly in Europe), with fuel injector deposits in DI gas engines, since the injector tips are right in the combustion chamber. The gas residue rapidly thermally decomposes and can cause significant deposits within a few thousand miles.

The new RDS & BP gasolines are meant to minimize these deposits...

TS

EVO&TDI

TDI
2012 Q7 TDI
"Shell claims that nitrogen-enriched molecules chemically react with carbon deposits that have collected on the valves. These nitrogen-enriched molecules then clean the valves and permit maximum gasoline and air compression within the cylinder." Maybe they tweaked the amount but I think it's more marketing than new technology. If anyone really cares if it's new or not my wife works for the company that produces the additive for Shell, let me know and I'll bug her for an answer.

grizzlydiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 speed
nitrogen reacts with the carbon...........

im just stumped trying to think of a molecule that has nitrogen and carbon in it.....

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
grizzlydiesel said:

im just stumped trying to think of a molecule that has nitrogen and carbon in it.....
Never took organic chemistry in school did you?

There are plenty of them.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
grizzlydiesel said:

There are entire classes of them. Amines. Amino acids. Amides. Imides. Isocyanates. Proteins. Just for starters.

You want specific compounds? Urea. Tryptophan. Methy nitrate. Hexyl nitrate (hey, that's in your PowerService!). The possible list is truly endless.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
naturist said:
There are entire classes of them. Amines. Amino acids. Amides. Imides. Isocyanates. Proteins. Just for starters.
You want specific compounds? Urea. Tryptophan. Methy nitrate. Hexyl nitrate (hey, that's in your PowerService!). The possible list is truly endless.
Organic chemistry is fun. ;)