Shark fin Antenna Seal

ChiTownPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI + Premium
I was looking at the "shark fin" antenna on my car and noticed that there is a small (maybe 1/2mm) gap between the front portion of the rubber seal and the roof of my car. Idk how big of a deal this is (I'm assuming there is another seal/grommet around the actual wire hidden inside) but I'm curious if this is normal? I'll get a picture up later.

Can someone also confirm that this antenna is only used for satellite radio and not for AM/FM?

I tried doing a forum search and found a lot of thread dedicated to replacing/painting the antenna but nothing addressing this.

Thanks in advance!

ChiTownPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI + Premium
Here are pictures of what I'm talking about...
This first one was taken from the side to show the gap size between the roof and antenna rubber seal (you can see clear across to the tree line).

This second one shows how the aft section of the seal is in contact with the roof and even flexes slightly from the compression. You can see how the front section of the seal is not compressed or in contact with the roof.

jkowalski

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Premium 6MT
According to the service info, yes, the roof antenna on these are used for GPS/SAT radio access only.
FM/AM is left to the antenna amps in the left and right C-pillars.

Not quite sure why there would be a gap, unless somehow something got under the antenna?
I remember it being possible to bend the antenna up a little to break the seals contact with the roof.
I suppose it is a possibility.

ChiTownPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI + Premium
Thanx for the feedback... Can anyone tell me if this is ok for the seal to be "broken" around the antenna base? Is there a secondary seal or grommet, presumably surrounding the sat radio wire, that will prevent rain water from getting into the roof of my car?

ChiTownPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI + Premium
Awesome thanks for the response! From what I understand, the dealership would have to remove the headliner in order to replace it and I don't really want them tearing apart my new car.