SFBA VWGruppe meeting... A gathering of VWs of all kinds

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Okay, I'm posting this late. I should have posted about this event before it happened so that other TDI owners could participate but I've been so busy lately that I hardly have time to come here, even.

Anyway, we met at New Dimensions' parking lot as usual yesterday at 12:00 noon. There were 19 cars that showed up. Mines was the only TDI. There were a lot of VR6's, no 1.8T's, a few hotrodded 4 bangers, even a turbocharged VR6 Corrado. A fast group.

The route we took was from ND to 880, merge onto 280 northbound, then we took some road towards the coast (forgot which one). This road was a typical two lane road through the redwoods that is so prevalent in this area of California. The cars tend to sort themselves out from fastest to the slowest. I ended up near the head of the pack. There was a comment from Tom (the drive coordinator) that a few of the VR6 owners wanted me to slow down because I was making them look bad! At one point, I was following a black A4 GTI VR6 and I was just tailing him. When we stopped I asked him if I could get around him on the next leg. I ended up behind a highly modified Corrado. He was baiting me on by slowing down and then charging off. It was only when he was in second gear revving from about 5000 to redline that I could not match his acceleration!

Unfortunately, the road was not familiar to me and a few times I found myself in the wrong gear and I sooted the guy behind me (a white A3 GLX). He was having a hard time keeping up with me despite his Neuspeed chip, K&N filter, and big exhaust.

I found the TDI to be ideal for this kind of driving because I found that I could easily keep up with these VR6s through the twisties in third gear and second in the tighter corners (coming out of a turn in third, I could keep up with the VR6 in front of me by revving my engine to about 3500, then brake for the next turn, no shifting!) whereas the VR6s were busily shifiting up and down. I could easily hear the guy in the modified Corrado that I was following shift up and then have to shift down (with an occasional crunch from his gears as he forced his gearbox to downshift).

Lotsa fun!