Severe Oil leak!!!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Yes, it's an EGT. You might be able to use a speed nut on there, such as one that would slip over the edge of sheet metal

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Installed new turbo oil feed line. Started car and there was a shrieking sound. I undid the fitting at the turbo to confirm oil flow and pre lubed the turbo. Got it back together let it idle for a while and while the sound was more intermittent it persisted. I had posted before when the same or similar sound happened and it was one of the gaskets in the EGR system. I can't remember if it was exactly the same sound as this time. I'm pretty sure I got all the gaskets tightened this time. There is one on the bottom of the EGR valve that has a concave/convex shape that I may have installed upside down? It seems to rev fine and no noticable loss when parked and revved. One thing is I don't seem to hear the turbo spinning but that may be me. Before I remember that I seemed to notice the sound sometimes and other times not and that's while it was fine.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Recheck those egr bolts it only takes about a quarter turn to shriek.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Seeing that it’s intermittent I wonder if the EGR cycling has something to do with it.
On the EGR gasket you have to make sure that the raised ring area is large enough to be compressed by both flange surfaces. There are some gaskets for the EGR system where that’s raised area is smaller than the hole in the fitting and it does not get compressed. It falls into the hole.
I think the OEM set up uses a fiber style gasket in that location which eliminates that possibility.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
I took it for a test and unfortunately I really think the shrieking sound is the turbo bearing. I noticed that there was noticable low power with light throttle use and then when I mashed the pedal the power came on but with it the shrieking. The sound increases with what I imagine the velocity of the turbo impeller shaft is moving at. I hear the sound even at low rpm where as if I remember correctly with the gaskets the sound was only when at higher RPM and stopped and started pretty suddenly where as this is more consistent now. I'll go back through the seals tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath. I suppose the car will be able to get me to work for a while longer. I just started looking at parts for rebuilding and new complete turbo and manifold.

The Amazon option there because I have a good history with Affirm I could do a payment plan of 24 dollars a month on that.

These are less expensive than I thought for a clone part. I knew a Garrett 17 would cost 600-800$ and was thinking maybe someone here would have a few upgrades laying around. I honestly don't need a performance turbo and don't plan on doing a bunch of upgrades to my current car it's frame rails are beat up and it's just not what I want to throw a bunch of effort and work into. Won't be doing a 5th gear upgrade or 6 speed or anything else like that but if I do need to replace the turbo and could get a little better milage by running a different than stock turbo without changing injectors or anything too much I'd do that. Any suggestions please let me know.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
No-name brand. Would not be my choice.
And especially not Prothe!!!
A lot a sad stories on these forums attached to this vendor.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
When I get work it's at a moving company. I haven't been working since the oil feed line cracked. The day it cracked I got paid 210.00. 160.00 of that went to a tow and 36.00 to oil. I've got a little over 500.00 "to my name" it would be my choice to purchase a Garrett too but as you can see the economics of that don't work for me. Maybe you've got a takeoff turbo or two sitting around that you could help me out with?

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
No disrespect and thanks for the heads up on the ebay seller prothe if this is well founded but I'm not in the position to be able to purchase anything above a couple hundred $.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
I understand the advantage of purchase of parts such as a wheel hub/bearing as opposed to buying only the bearing for one or more reasons such as don't have a bearing press/ it's faster that way. A turbo complete with manifold as opposed to only the turbo cartridge because it's faster/easier. I prefer the minimal approach in my case would be to buy the cartridge. However I know that the bolts/nuts could be a real pain to remove from the down pipe and others. I had just installed new exhaust gaskets and know the exhaust manifold nuts should easily come off where as what if I purchased a cartridge and have a problem getting the old turbo apart. If I went with the cartridge I could afford to purchase a part from a company known for quality such as Mahle.

Otherwise for a known quantity part (Garrett or Both) I would need to ask for help from someone here to hook me up. I really think enthusiasts that also work on they're cars and mechanics that learn out of necessity and are successful in major repairs should treat each other as a brotherhood as a fraternity or recognize each other as elite. Working on these machines and understanding them is not particularly easy it's often frustrating to profanity and lashing out! Most people can't hang with this type of work. I can and know there are others that do and I would like to think that we should have each other's backs. I don't know kinda getting idealistic and personal but it's freaking crazy how much it seems like things are rapidly going to ****. It seems like an exponential curve that corporations/the state or whatever are making happen and that sucks for a lot of us but the more people can help each other pick up slack here and there the better. I don't expect anyone to provide for me despite feeling entitled I believe rightfully (at 36 and being as proficient as I am with working on cars and such why shouldn't I be able to got to the VW dealership and say I'd like a 2022 TDI Beetle and get one) but whatever I guess I haven't made the right choices in life. In the meantime is it ok to drive my car with the turbo jacked? I imagine I'm going to be losing precious fuel economy but should I be ok other than that?

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
I guess my "rant" made this thread go cold... Out of necessity I took the car to town to get 15 gallons of water, a bag of food for my dog and to wash clothes. The shrill noise persisted sporadically for a few miles while I was attempting to stay out of the throttle. When I got to the highway began to accelerate the sound had changed to a papery whistling sort of sound for a while then nothing. I floored it and recognized a loss of power and think I said out loud that the turbo had seized. I still don't know for certain that it has, but... imagine that considering the circumstances it basically a paperweight now. Maybe not I'll probably rebuild it I guess when I get around to it if it doesn't make milage drop too much. I didn't seem to notice any remarkable loss of fuel efficiency but I don't think the number of miles traveled was enough to make an accurate determination of that.

Last edited:

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Well I hadn't posted for a while partly because I was wrong and suppose a little embarrassed to have made the same mistake again and partly because what I deal with on a day to day basis. I didn't tighten one or two of bolts on one of the EGR sections tight. The gasket wore out one of the bolt holes and was all the way against the plastic intake piping. It melted/cut that that quite a bit but not through so no need to repair or replace. The gasket two layers of stainless was in two pieces. I installed one piece of the gasket and tightened the bolts. Has been running fine since. No turbo damaged. I've been saying I need to use a checklist when I do work and I really probably should. I am usually posting here either when something bad has happened or with dreams of building a TDI race car that I can't afford. Instead of that I think it would maybe be good to do maintenance service things. I'll start another post for those questions in 101. I also have another alternative fuel question that I'll post to that section. Oh I was successful in installation of a new (used) windshield. I didn't get it perfect but it's on and totally sealed with the automotive grade urethane. Thanks for the helps.