Service southern Vermont 09 TDI?

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I expect to be taking delivery of a 09 TDI in July. Buying out of state because the local dealers are in love with MSRP.

Vermont has been on the California emissions standards for a while now. As a result, recent model TDIs of all kinds are fairly rare here.

Any ideas as to who provides top notch service in the Stratton/Okemo mountain area? Or how far will I have to go?

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I'd suggest visiting some dealers yourself and speak with the service manager to learn: a) what techs he is training and how; b) how will he ensure that you only get those techs; c) ask him then and there what oil is required for the '09 and see if he gets it right, and; d) find out how open he is to you specifying all that needs to occur and using outside information sources to get the best service.

(in other words, do they admit that they know little about the '09 TDI and are committed to learning and listening to an active and educated owner)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
There's supposed to be a guy in Waitsfield, but that likely won't appeal to someone in the southern part of the state. Isn't Hand VW still in business? There are a couple of franchised dealerships in Western MA, too.

You may also check in with Dale Newton (Fruitlands.net). He's sort of become the TDI guy for VT with sales. He may be able to provide some level-headed insight. I think he's in Marshfield.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Thanks for the advice. Compounding the problem is the fact that the adjacent states of New York and Massachusetts are also on the California standard, so a brand new TDI has not been registered in VT, MA or NY in a while.

Hand VW in Manchester VT is not far from here, and there is a dealer in Rutland that sells both VW and Audi, and seems to do a better volume of business than Hand. Buying my car from Chris at VW of Langhorne PA, which is about 290 miles away.

However, the horror stories I hear on TDIClub forums make me want to stay away from a VW Dealer shop as much as possible, particularly for routine maintenance.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
k1xv said:
Thanks for the advice. Compounding the problem is the fact that the adjacent states of New York and Massachusetts are also on the California standard, so a brand new TDI has not been registered in VT, MA or NY in a while.

Hand VW in Manchester VT is not far from here, and there is a dealer in Rutland that sells both VW and Audi, and seems to do a better volume of business than Hand. Buying my car from Chris at VW of Langhorne PA, which is about 290 miles away.

However, the horror stories I hear on TDIClub forums make me want to stay away from a VW Dealer shop as much as possible, particularly for routine maintenance.
These newest cars ARE 50-state compliant so they will gain familiarity.

Chris is one of the forum's best resources - - you made a solid decision.

Many of us have come to the realization that the dealer is not likely to ever see or touch our prized diesel autos. This have forced us to become more self-sufficient. We've bought the tools, the manuals, the VAGCOMs and gained support right here. Without Fred's forum, owning a TDI in the USA becomes an untenable proposition...

There are folks out there that won't even return to the dealership when something is obviously covered by warranty :eek:

xracerbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I bought mine from Chris as well and "smuggled" it into NY in '06. I've done all the service myself so far (except the TB). Dieseldorf is right on with his advice- knowing your TDI inside and out makes the ownership experience much better (and far less expensive). Just about at 180,000 miles and I'm aiming for 350,000 with this car.

PaPa Bulldog

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Boost Master
Hello from Bennington K1. Where are you located? Haven't met anyone here from Vermont this is cool! Yes, Hand VW is still in business. Hand VW, albeit a stealership is a decent choice. Go see Gerry Hoyt if you decide to go there. He is a stand up guy, and good friend. I work for Nemer GM Nissan in Bennington, and we have a sister VW store in Latham, NY. Check out Nemer VW too if you want to buy in New York. From my dealings with they seem to be very nice people too.

If your in town would love to meet up.

Cheers,

Papa Bulldog ( Bart )

Last edited:

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
Bart:

I am in Andover, just outside of Weston. I am getting my 09 Jetta Sedan from Chris "3913" at VW of Langhorne. I am doing a Cash for Clunkers deal, so I will not have it in the driveway until later this month when NHTSA publishes the forms and rules for dealers to follow. My clunker trade is a Infiniti Q45 1991 that I have had since new.

The other diesel in the driveway is a 2003 GMC crew cab Duramax.

PaPa Bulldog

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Boost Master
k1xv said:
Bart:

I am in Andover, just outside of Weston. I am getting my 09 Jetta Sedan from Chris "3913" at VW of Langhorne. I am doing a Cash for Clunkers deal, so I will not have it in the driveway until later this month when NHTSA publishes the forms and rules for dealers to follow. My clunker trade is a Infiniti Q45 1991 that I have had since new.

The other diesel in the driveway is a 2003 GMC crew cab Duramax.
Cool K1 I'm somewhat familiar with where you are. Good luck with the delivery process of the '09. I hope you like your GMC! If you are in the area and need GMC Parts come see me at Nemer GM-Nissan in Bennington. I will take care of you with parts on my discount:D Let me know, just have your vin handy;) Parts direct # 1-800-423-7450 or 802-442-6908 I will see what I can do. I'm sure your about to need a INT Steering shaft or front wheel hub:D

Papa Bulldog ( Bart )

PaPa Bulldog

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Boost Master
dieseldorf said:
I take it you have been to Hand VW before eh Dorf? What did ya think about the intersection leading to their parking lot? Us locals call it Malfunction Junction. I worked at Hand for 5 years as a detailer. Ah good old Manch Vegas, Vermont.

Where in Mass are you Dorf?