service manual for transporter

Hannu

Does anybody know, how to het a service manul for my ride ? (see signature) I'm starting to loose my mind. Bentley is for U.S cars only.

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
Uwe lists the new Bentley CD for the Transporter but not sure about our TDI version.

Damn, You never saw me

[ March 31, 2001: Message edited by: Brodie ]

Hannu

Brodie: It's for U.S cars only. I asked from bentley. But do the U.S manuals really differ so much?

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Hannu, I'm lookin' at my Bentley manuals right here, and they state:
"Volkswagen Eurovan Official Repair Manual 1992-1999 Gasoline, Diesel, TDI, 5-cylinder and VR6 including MultiVan and CV Camper."
(in case you were wondering, the US market does NOT have a TDI T4, otherwise I'd be driving one right now!)

Perhaps it might be easier if you asked your question and those of us with any relevant info could try and help you out?

Norman
'91 Jetta GLI
'93 Eurovan MV
'00 Golf GLS TDI

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
Wow, that's interesting Norman. I'd like to know what the book says about pump timing. The 5 cyl has no '3rd injector' to record start of injection. I have been trying out Uwe's excellent scan tool on mine and it seems that the ECU just doesn't allow any adjustment of the timing via a scan tool.

I expect they suggest using a strobe. There looks to be the plug in the back of the pump for the old fashioned dial guage check. But what settings do they list? My engine code is ACV.

Thanks

Brodie

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Brodie, sit tight for a bit, and I will check when I get home tonight. Unfortunately there's this bit about an 8hr. time difference..

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Brodie, hopefully the following commentary lifted from the manual will make sense to you:

- Remove sound dampening pan
- Remove radiator grille
- Remove Charge Air cooler (intercooler?)
- Remove left and right mounting bolts
- Tilt lock carrier with radiator out and forward
- Remove injection pump toothed belt guard
- Turn crankshaft in direction of engine rotation to cyl. 1 TDC *Injection pump sprocket/console and flywheel/clutch bell housing marks must align. For engine installed, there is a Note: that "This condition is only possible every 2nd TDC position.

Installing, tensioning:
- Install 3313 gauge and adapter (for that plug you mentioned earlier..) with 2.0 mm preload (in place of sealing plug) *gauge with a measuring range from 0-3 mm
- Ensure that marks on injection pump sprocket and injection pump align
- Loosen locking bolt on injection pump and remove intermediate plate
- "Zero" gauge

To ensure that injection pump high pressure plungers are at TDC
- Turn injection pump sprocket slowly in direction of engine rotation (clockwise) using 3036 counter-hold tool. *Gauge needle must remain on "0" or "Zero" the gauge upon reaching TDC
- Slowly turn injection pump sprocket using 3036 counter-hold tool in direction of engine rotation (anti-clockwise) until *55 mm lift "start of injection"
- Tighten lock bolt on injection pump *30 Nm (22 ft lb)
- Ensure that TDC mark on flywheel and reference are aligned
- Install toothed belt with injection pump drive sprocket
- Tighten mounting bolt until drive sprocket can just barely be hand-turned
- Mark direction of rotation on used toothed belts
- Check idler roller installation position *Idler roller indicator must align with cylinder head flange contour
- Loosen mounting nut and adjust idler roller, if necessary
- Tighten idler roller mounting nut *20 Nm (15 ft lb)
- Install tensioning roller and adjust so tensioning roller tab is positioned in console cut-out
- Tighten mounting bolt hand tight
- Turn tensioning roller anti-clockwise onto inner tensioning roller stop, then turn tensioning roller back until both pointers align
- Tighten mounting bolt *15 Nm (10 ft lb)
- Hold injection pump drive sprocket using 3036 counter-hold tool and tighten *160 Nm (118 ft lb)
- Loosen injection pump lock bolt
- Fit intermediate plate and tighten locking bolt *25 Nm (18 ft lb)
- Install toothed belt guard for injection pump
- Dynamically check "start of injection"; adjust if necessary
Note: If toothed belt must be removed/installed; first install ribbed V-belt.
- Install radiator with lock carrier
- Install sound dampening pan.

That's about all they had to say about anything having to do with the injection pump on an ACV engine code... Since I don't have a scanner that would be able to reproduce the pages that these instructions (with their graphics) were lifted from, I'm playing around with possibly taking digipics and posting them to a server so you can get a clearer idea of what's to be done.

HTH,
Norman

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
No need Norman. I have all I need there, thanks for all your trouble. So it has to be the old fashioned way, can't use the scan tool.

Hannu, the bit about moving the radiator forward is quite useful if you havn't tried it. It comes out about a foot (sorry 30 cm) on cantilever hinges and allows a lot more room to see things.