Service campaign 34J7: replace gear shifter trim

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
There's a fairly new service campaign on all MK7 Golfs/GSWs/Alltracks to replace the faux chrome trim around the gear shifter. Came out January 2022. Not surprised, I got a pretty serious cut from this spot in the past. Owners are supposed to get a letter in the mail.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Got my letter last week, VWoA told me about it a few weeks ago when on phone with them about a different issue. Next day off going to a different VW dealer(Basil in Lockport) to see when I can get that scheduled along with inspection to see if they notice leaking water pump. Hopefully they treat first time customers better than Orchard Park VW....

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I bought my 2015 Mk7 used. Chatted with a VW of America rep. Mine is a 6 speed manual and she said there aren't any recalls for my car. Hmmmmm

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
IMO at this point it almost seems like a low hanging fruit to get people into dealers doors, the part is what $25 retail, they prob are able to get it for $10.

Eitherway i'll prob hit up my dealer for it.

Side note, who else got a bosch bonus check? whopping $40.27 baby!!!!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
IMO at this point it almost seems like a low hanging fruit to get people into dealers doors, the part is what $25 retail, they prob are able to get it for $10.

Eitherway i'll prob hit up my dealer for it.

Side note, who else got a bosch bonus check? whopping $40.27 baby!!!!
I covered that trim piece LONG ago with 3M carbon fiber vinyl because i knew it was going to be an issue, not letting them mess with it. I do wonder though, how many others have the foil/metal trim cracking and peeling on the steering wheel. Same issue, super sharp, terrible finish and I'm hoping the dealer can get them to replace as well.

I did get that check, going to dinner on VW. Lol

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I had mine done yesterday. The new piece has the aluminum trim wrap around underneath the trim piece and not just come to edge like old one did...

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
after getting a pretty nasty cut a few years ago, i just covered mine with a piece of black electrical tape. i'd totally forgotten about it until i got that letter last week.

But with diesel being $5.15/gallon, i'm not in any hurry to take it in for the recall.