Serpentine belt tensioner tool or a 16mm box end?

spike

The "http://www.tdiclub.com/articles/A4-TimingBelt/" procedure says:

"Using the Craftsmen 41831f Serpentine belt tensioner tool and the special short 16mm socket that came with the tool. (FYI a standard socket WILL NOT fit in this small space) Relieve the tension on the serpentine belt tensioner and remove the belt. "

I did not have this tool and just used a 16mm box end wrench which seemed to work fine. Does anybody know what the benefit of the special Craftsman tool is?

wyseguy

Veteran Member
TDI
wyseguy100
just extra leverage.... I use the box wrench too, all 14 times I've had that belt off. The tensioners on these motors are not very strong compared to my friends supercharged durango... that thing needs a serp belt wrench, tdi's make it optional...

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
While recently replacing the tensioner I found the Sears tool to be too long and hitting the radiator cross brace (?) before the holes lined up to put the pin in the shipping/holding holes. Making it necessary to use a cresent wrench also on the square shoulder. This job can be done without the tool. If this was the only car the tool would be used on a curve put in the handle about half way up would make it more usefull. I also found this tool didn't work on my wife's 93 Eurovan.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
I use a 16mm box end as well and then I put another wrench on the end of the 16mm for more leverage. Works fine.

Greg

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It's definitely 16mm. Been there many times doing timing belt changes. I use the Sears tool from below without a problem as long as the car is up on ramps or stands.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I also use this tool.
I find that sometimes it is a bit too long and gets bound up either on the ground or the front valence.
The nice thing about it is that I can push the tensioner out of the way when removing the one 10mm lower timing belt cover bolt. its always right behind, or slightly impeeded by, the tensioner's roller.
what I do is lay on my back with my body paralell to the car and my head towards the front, I use my right foot to push the tensioner back using the long handle, and then proceed to remove the bolt.
its easier than it sounds.

[edit: I left out a word]

rmr25

Veteran Member
TDI
GL Coupe/2000/Auto/Silver
I missed a couple of days on this thread. But here's another contribution. On two recent TB changes, for the serpintine belt tensioner I've used a 16mm crow foot wrench with a 3.8" drive ratchet 16" extension. Fits easily the limited space and provides plenty of torque. Got mine at Sears.