Seriously awesome Bluetooth RNS-510

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
I was just blown away by the Bluetooth (9W3) module in my JSW today. I knew that it updated the recent calls both made and received in the RNS-510. I did not know that it also updates any changes you make in the telephone numbers or entries on the cell phone.

I made a few changes to my address book on the phone today and when I got in the car the RNS-510 displayed "New Phone Book, Ok". Sure enough when I looked up an entry I had made on the phone, it had been inserted in the phone book on the RNS-510. A new entry was placed in the phone book, and an existing entry had been changed.

I don't know how you feel about that, but that just blows me away. What a treat. I have a car that gets me to work and helps me be more productive. It gets no cooler than that. :cool:

HEV

TDI
2010 JSW, Candy White, DSG
I still haven't found good instruction on how to properly pair my phone with the RNS-510. I can't find any information on the cell phone prep.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
meowguy said:
I was just blown away by the Bluetooth (9W3) module in my JSW today.
How did you get the 9W3 in your JSW? It only comes with the 9W2 module. Did you perform the upgrade?

cmannorth

TDI
09 sportwagen on order
9W3 module

meowguy said:
I was just blown away by the Bluetooth (9W3) module in my JSW today. I knew that it updated the recent calls both made and received in the RNS-510. I did not know that it also updates any changes you make in the telephone numbers or entries on the cell phone.

I made a few changes to my address book on the phone today and when I got in the car the RNS-510 displayed "New Phone Book, Ok". Sure enough when I looked up an entry I had made on the phone, it had been inserted in the phone book on the RNS-510. A new entry was placed in the phone book, and an existing entry had been changed.

I don't know how you feel about that, but that just blows me away. What a treat. I have a car that gets me to work and helps me be more productive. It gets no cooler than that. :cool:
Meowguy,You were asked sometime ago how you managed to obtain a 9W3 bluetooth module for your JSW as they come from the factory with 9W2 . Could-would you please respond?????????!!!!!!!!!!!

brg126

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I think the 2010 JSW comes with 9w3 only if you get the upgraded nav system, the rns-510. If you stuck with the base system, the rcd-510, you get the 9w2.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
brg126 said:
I think the 2010 JSW comes with 9w3 only if you get the upgraded nav system, the rns-510. If you stuck with the base system, the rcd-510, you get the 9w2.
I'm picking up my JSW in a week and I optioned the Nav. I'll check when I get it if this is the case but I don't believe it is.

D.Kinsey

TDI
none....yet
I have a new 2010 JSW with the RNS 510 nav and have the BT funtioning but, no phone book or anything(phone info) on the touchscreen. Is this correct? Do I have to upgade to the 9W2 to have this? Only way to dial out is on the phone? Kinda sucks.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a new 2010 JSW with the RNS 510 nav and have the BT funtioning but, no phone book or anything(phone info) on the touchscreen. Is this correct? Do I have to upgade to the 9W2 to have this? Only way to dial out is on the phone? Kinda sucks.
You have the 9W2 board. You need the 9W3 board for full Bluetooth functionality with the RNS-510. Yes, it is not what you expected after paying for the RNS-510, but then again as I recall, the price on the RNS-510 was not that high compared to other "high-end" navi systems. When installed the performance of the 9W3 Bluetooth with the RNS-510 is beyond anything I could possibly want in a phone system in my car.

Some of the features you will have with the 9W3 are:
1. Complete access to your cell phone phonebook.
2. Real time update of the phone book in the car to match the cell phone.
3. Real time update of recent calls.
4. Caller ID display.
5. Access to the dial number pad.
6. Speed dials (6 only).

Last edited:

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
This statement is incorrect. The JSW comes with the 9W2 board. There is no upgraded factory package available. The 9W3 board is a dealer installed optional extra. The RCD-510 comes with the 9W3 factory installed but it is not coded properly from the factory. When the proper codes are entered for the RCD-510, you have phone book and phone control on the MFD between the speedo and tach.

Last edited:

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
meowguy said:
This statement is incorrect. The JSW comes with the 9W2 board. There is no upgraded factory package available. The 9W3 board is a dealer installed optional extra. The RCD-510 comes with the 9W3 factory installed but it is not coded properly from the factory. When the proper codes are entered for the RCD-510, you have phone book and phone control on the MFD between the speedo and tach.
I'm picking up my car on Sat and it is a JSW with the RCD-510.

1) So you're telling me it comes with 9W3?
2) Do you know the codes to activate the 9W3 functionality?
3) Once codes are entered, does the phone functionality (dial number pad) work in the RCD-510?

Thanks!

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
fleuger99 said:

3) Once codes are entered, does the phone functionality (dial number pad) work in the RCD-510?

Thanks!
You are confusing the RNS-510 and the RCD-510. The RCD-510 is a radio. No matter what you do to it, you will not have a dial number pad or speed dials. You will have phone info on the MFD between the speedo and tach.

Your car should be equipped with the 9W3 requiring only the proper coding to have the phone book, recent calls, received calls, etc on the MFD. If you car has the Volk-L module you are out of luck.

You can find the coding for this in another thread. I believe it is located at the very top of this forum page as the MKV/MKVI/Bluetooth FAQ.

You might try reading this thread also. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=262470

Last edited:

Mat

TDI
MK6 Golf TDI Highline (ordered)
So if I have the RCD-510 and I want to swap my 9w2 module for a 9w3, I will only get the phone info on the MFD, not on my head unit?

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
So if I have the RCD-510 and I want to swap my 9w2 module for a 9w3, I will only get the phone info on the MFD, not on my head unit?
First, you may already have a 9w3 module. This was the case with my son-in-law's 2009. You need to check that out. If you have the 9W3 you only need the code change.

Second, you are correct. You only get the phone info on the MFD, not the head unit of the RCD-510.

Mat

TDI
MK6 Golf TDI Highline (ordered)
Thanks
But I'm pretty sure 2010 canadian golfs only come with 9w2.

crunch777

TDI
2010 Jetta
meowguy said:
First, you may already have a 9w3 module. This was the case with my son-in-law's 2009. You need to check that out. If you have the 9W3 you only need the code change.

Second, you are correct. You only get the phone info on the MFD, not the head unit of the RCD-510.
I am the son-in-law but a correction, I have a 2010. In a 2009, it's all different on that "premium 7". I have a 2010 Sedan with "Premium 8" or RDC-510.

In the 2010 Sedan TDI, you get the 9w3 but it's not coded for anything other than voice control with the RDC-510. See the wonderful videos by askavwsalesguy. http://askavwsalesguy.com/

I had the dealership put in seabears code change and I now have a working MFD phone menu but nothing on the radio. I believe that's only available on the nav system.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
fleuger99 said:

Thanks!
this thread talks about getting the 9W3 module to replace the 9w2.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2813492#post2813492

Sundowner

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
does anyone know what the parts counter cost difference is between the 9w2 board and the 9w3 board? how much is VWoA saving by putting the 9w2 board in the JSW's? are we talking $50 here or $500?

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Sundowner said:
does anyone know what the parts counter cost difference is between the 9w2 board and the 9w3 board? how much is VWoA saving by putting the 9w2 board in the JSW's? are we talking $50 here or $500?
Based on dealer cost (not manufacturer's costs) it is about $300.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I just purchased the parts to convert from 9W2 to 9W3 via a person that works for a VW Dealer in Charlotte NC who is selling VW parts at only 15% over dealer cost.

Here are the part numbers and costs for each part from this person on VORTEX:

1 1Z0-035-729-C INTERF.BOX 1 424.35
2 8P0-035-503-E ANTENNA 1 16.73

This is around $130 cheaper than buying it over the counter at my local dealer and I paid no sales tax as I'm not in NC.

Here is a link to the post where one can ask for parts & prices on VORTEX:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4628249&page=7

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I'll be putting together a group buy for this today.
My parts manager is quoting: $431.25 for the module, and $17.73 for the antenna.

Check classified information.
This is THE way the bluetooth system is SUPPOSED to work.
The List price on the 9w3 Module is about $675, so the $431.25 price is an outstanding deal.
My parts department is thrilled because they can increase their sales and will be willing to do alot more group buys in the near future.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't recall being charged for an antenna. The list price of the 9W3 sounds about what I paid. They charged me an hour labor.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Push to talk is now working. Although the commands are very hard to remember. I could possibly crackup trying to enter a voice command. Here is a list of the commands.

Push Mic Button, after tone then...
Say: Name or Number
Say: Save, Store Name, Number
Say: Repeat, Correct, Delete
Additional Numbers
or
Say: Select Number
Say: the number
Say: Select, Repeat, Correct, Delete
Additional Numbers
or
Say: Select Name or Names