separate antena for Nav GPS?

Aircooler

TDI
2003 Jetta
I bought a used Mk4 jetta with a VW Nav/Monsoon system installed by VW after it left the lot. I have the regular rear center mount antena but there is a 2nd curly antena mounted on the passenger side of the rear glass. It looks like an old school car cell phone antena to me but the dealer that I bought it from says that it is for the GPS signal. I hate it and think that they are wrong.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 A4, Reflex Silver
A4 jetta's in the us didn't have a gps option. Unless it was added by the po it could be a cell phone antena. Or a dumby cell phone antena. I am told some poeple like to add fake crap to their car to look important. From the personal vw navi installs i have read people mount the gps antena under the dash somewhere above the stearing wheel colum.

Are there any wires running to that antana. and is it stuck on the galss or near the glass edge on the metal part of the car?

cover the antean with tinfoil. if the gps stops working you will know what it is.

I am making the assumption that this is a tdi.. But even if it is a GTL i am not sure if they came with a gps.

Last edited:

Aircooler

TDI
2003 Jetta
Yeah I was told that mine was dealer intalled after the fact on my 2003 TDI. Yes there is a wire going to the antena but the thing is, this car is new enough that that type of cell phone antena wouldnt seem to have been in use. I havent seen one of those car phones in ten years.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
wish you had taken a picture of the antenna...

anyway, VW did make a combo antenna that had cell phone, GPS and radio in the same unit. The radio looked like the rat tail that was common on the A4s, though I think they may have also used the pig tail. The cell was just a little protuberance, like the shark-fin ones you see around. The GPS was a round section on the base toward the front.

It's possible the previous owner had a separate cell antenna added but it was never removed. I've thought of adding one to mine in order to boost the cell range.

TDIdenver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Black(traded in); Jetta 06, Platinum; Jetta 11, Platinum
Aircooler said:
Yeah I was told that mine was dealer intalled after the fact on my 2003 TDI. Yes there is a wire going to the antena but the thing is, this car is new enough that that type of cell phone antena wouldnt seem to have been in use. I havent seen one of those car phones in ten years.

I LIKE the way that looks!

dieselgus

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Variant Black/Black
There wouldn't happen to be OnStar in this car, would there? There will be some extra buttons on the rearview mirror, if I recall correctly.

That would be the one thing that would have reason to use an analog-style cellphone antenna.......

The other would be the previous owner had an in car mounted cellphone. They probably pulled the cradle and box, but forgot to yank the antenna.