Sensors

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
Hi

Im trying to put sensors on my BKD engine and on my 02Q gearbox to collect info for a dashlogger.
What is the best recommended/relevant place for a 1/8" watertemp sensor? Oiltemp and pressure is already sorted.

And on the gearbox, where to place a 1/8" temp sensor? In the plug under isnt possible, the car is to low.

Do anyone have a link to a drawing of the BKD watercooling system in a Golf V?

Thanks!:)

Theo

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Maybe you could take one of your existing metal water pipes, drill a hole and weld a 1/8" bung onto it?

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
I did an steelpipe adaptor on the hose leading to EGR cooler, now turbocooling, I think the water is about hottest there and its close to the stock sensor.

About tempsensor in the gearbox.. If I modify the filling plug, and put a sensor there, could that show accurate values? Its not always in contact with oil, but I guess since its hotter higher up it could work. Or do I think wrong here?

Theo

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Hi Theo, does your gearbox have provision for oil
cooling ? You can get the cover/flange and upgrade to a radiator with cooling provision for gearbox and you can tee into the feed line... it's pity not to us it if it's provided.

Why you took the engine out of the a4 quattro ? Not happy with the car ? I understand the new Passat is a nice daily car but 300 horses in the a4 should not be any different to the 295 in the Passat ?!

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Theo, does your gearbox have provision for oil
cooling ? You can get the cover/flange and upgrade to a radiator with cooling provision for gearbox and you can tee into the feed line... it's pity not to us it if it's provided.

Why you took the engine out of the a4 quattro ? Not happy with the car ? I understand the new Passat is a nice daily car but 300 horses in the a4 should not be any different to the 295 in the Passat ?!
Its a normal 02Q so I guess it doesnt have that?
I have plugs (filling and bottom) for oilcooling but it gets so low under, even if I use the tightest possible connector. Well see how I do that.

I took it out just to use it in the Golf. The A4 feels like a 25 year old car when you try a Passat 2015-> :)
300hp in the A4 was a lttle smokey, little laggy and almost impossible to get trough the yearly inspections (rules have changed). So I take it apart and sell parts and give the rest of the car to a friend of mine that have a similar car.