seen a 2012 passat in person yesterday

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I have another problem, however: Fixed-angle headrests.
At a comfortable seatback angle, they push our heads forward uncomfortably.
I am rather hopeful that the post spacing may be common among recent VW products, but are any of the headrests in recent Golfs, Jettas, JSWs, or CCs angle-adjustable and available in leather or leatherette?
I, too cannot stand the seatback angle AND active protruding headrests on mk6 models. Have to use a small pillow to straighten my back. Confirmed the active headrests are on the 2012 Passat. Haven't test drove one yet, so don't know if same seatback issue exists.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
No angle adjustment, due to whiplash prevention, just height.

I've gotten used to mine.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
No angle adjustment, due to whiplash prevention, just height.

I've gotten used to mine.
Yeah, I've gotten used to mine too, but I'm thinking about gently/slightly bending the rails to tilt them back a tad, shouldn't be too difficult, unless the steel used is crazy hard.

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
It's interesting that the innards of the China lights look pretty exactly like the innards of the B7 lights. I wonder if that means B7 innards can be swapped over? (This is based on my perception that even though the China/US and rest-of-world B7 Passat noses look identical at first glance, the lheadlight are different in shape, at least at the upper outer corner. Am I right?)
(I noticed previously that the reflectors (and high-beam sockets) in US vs. E-code Golf 4 headlights are the only part that differes by definition, and wondered if a reflector swap is all that's nactually needed to do a conversion - a mmot point since separate reflectors do not seem available for sale.)

...and just how much was VW China involved with the US-Passat design? Buick made the mistake of promoting the fact that the Lacrosse interior was largely designed (as an Opel Insignia/Buick Regal enlargement) in China, which very much shows...

THChemE

TDI
none at this time
Drove the Passat SEL TDI DSG at TDIFest and it was impressive. Factory power is way up over my 2006 (pre-RC) and 30/40 in a car that large is great. I'm 6'1" and after adjusting the driver's seat, I hopped into the back and had 6" of knee room behind the seat.

Downfall...I think the new Jettas and Passat don't have distinct styling anymore. It that a Mitsuhonda?

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
I was at my dealer yesterday to check on my order (Black/Black SEL TDI). He tells me none have been shipped (Northeast anyway) but I should see mine by the end of the month. He also says they are required to keep the demo cars until December before they can retail them.

Anyone seen consumer inventory on the dealers lots yet?

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I was at my dealer yesterday to check on my order (Black/Black SEL TDI). He tells me none have been shipped (Northeast anyway) but I should see mine by the end of the month. He also says they are required to keep the demo cars until December before they can retail them.

Anyone seen consumer inventory on the dealers lots yet?
Sale-able cars are in transit to dealers now. Unclear how customer/dealer cars will be handled at this point. I am waiting
for my VIN and more info.

"The German automaker's new plant in Chattanooga is shipping about 350 Passats daily to dealers.
The exact starting date for sales of the new midsize sedan remains a mystery."

http://www.wmctv.com/story/15390042/vw-in-chattanooga-shipping-2012-passats-to-be-sold

Last edited:

statistic

TDI
2012 Passat possibly
In the Atlanta area, there are several dealers with Sale able Passat's on the lot with Vin#'s. Im looking at purchasing towards the end of the month.

TDICT or darrelld, did you dealer come off the sticker any if so how close to invoice if you dont mind me asking

Last edited:

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
In the Atlanta area, there are several dealers with Sale able Passat's on the lot with Vin#'s. Im looking at purchasing towards the end of the month.

TDICT or darrelld, did you dealer come off the sticker any if so how close to invoice if you dont mind me asking
No discount off sticker on my deal. I checked Consumer Reports true car pricing and even what they consider a good deal is $300 below sticker.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
There are several dealers in my area selling the new Passat's at invoice to help jump start the sales and get these cars moving.

statistic

TDI
2012 Passat possibly
Hey darrelld, did I read where u were considering a Sonata Hybrid also at one time? So was I.

As far as pricing, have you gone to true car.com and got accurate pricing in your area?

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey darrelld, did I read where u were considering a Sonata Hybrid also at one time? So was I.

As far as pricing, have you gone to true car.com and got accurate pricing in your area?
I did consider the Sonata Hybrid, took several test drives but never got close to the EPA rating. The hybrids don't seem to like extreme weather like we have seen lately. I also read on the Hyundai forums of numerous glitches with some of the hybrid electronics leaving drivers stranded and dealers clueless how to resolve.

Ended up ordering the Passat, I will check the price guides to make sure It's a fair deal.

Why did you decide against the Sonata?

Last edited:

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got a card in the mail today about the 2012 Passat launch event at my local dealer on Sept 20. Anyone else get info about a launch date?

statistic

TDI
2012 Passat possibly
I did consider the Sonata Hybrid, took several test drives but never got close to the EPA rating. The hybrids don't seem to like extreme weather like we have seen lately. I also read on the Hyundai forums of numerous glitches with some of the hybrid electronics leaving drivers stranded and dealers clueless how to resolve.

Ended up ordering the Passat, I will check the price guides to make sure It's a fair deal.

Why did you decide against the Sonata?
Similar to you, I went to the Hyundai forums to do research & came across the same thing. I actually posted about my concerns & the responses were tepid at best. A poster there mentioned that the concerns with HPFP failures w/ the TDI engines is causing them fear so they are moving to the H Sonata because of it. In my research, there seems to be more issues with the H Sonata than with the TDI engine? So thats when i started to lean more towards the Passat

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
In my research, there seems to be more issues with the H Sonata than with the TDI engine? So thats when i started to lean more towards the Passat
Same here. Be interesting to know how many HPFP failures on 2010-2011 TDIs. My guess is it's statistically insignificant thus far.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
drove the TDI SEL today, DSG was "interesting" blindingly fast shifts that were smooth, i just still wanted to shift though and the creep felt starting from a stop kinda made me want to fether the go pedal a bit more. But other than that car was nice and quite, interior was just as good as my 2010, i could have done without the bling bling fake wood and shinyness.

Also i didn't hear anyone else mention the left side dash cubby, that's a nice feature I still need to add to mine, the passats was huge!

Seacoaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
I am debating on adding the new passat or another JSW to the house, I would take the passat and give the misses my JSW. I spend more time on the highway and the softer ride may be nice. If I do I will go with the SE sunroof nav package. The only reason I would go to the SEL is for the Fender audio and i find it hard to justify $3k more for that and a couple other little bells, so to speak!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the SEL did have a bit of bling that i didn't need (wood faux grain was very very shiny) it came off a bit much over my 2010 sedan. I'm thinking the SE will be perfect for the Girlfriend. I just want to wait until there are enough on the lots so they wont gouge at or over MSRP.

Last edited:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
My sentiments as well. The Premium SE will do just fine. $3K not worth it for items of interest (Fender audio & RNS-510), and leather will not hold-up as well as V-tech for the 300K I plan to go. And I will not pay more than a couple $100 over invoice. Therefore my buy target is the holiday season.

Options I can do without: Climatronic, sunroof, fogs.

Last edited:

piney

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW-TDI/DSG
The lack of rear AC is enough for me to not look at it although I do love the TDI w/DSG combo. What I'm trying to figure is what the folks at VW are thinking when a Golf 4d TDI with the options costs more than their larger 4dr sedan in the nicer trim. I know size ain't everything but it is still hard to justify.