Seeking to buy any moment, but Life expectancy?

Chow King

TDI
A8L
I'm on this forum to get advice too since I'm looking to purchase a 2014 A8 L Audi TDI now with 111k miles. I commute 100 miles each day to work and back in moving traffic averaging 80 mph. I have a trusted TDI mechanic looking at the car today for PPI. Car cost $26k. I'm NOT diy, just driving it myself to work and back for comfort. If it's a good car, what's the reasonable amount of life expectancy left on it, with the hopeful minor/ routine maintenance cost. 150k, 200k, 250k, 300k, or < thanks someone. Read some posts and replies already very informative and helpful so far, thanks again.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I think timing chains are going to be the heavy hitter. Get some quotes on replacement and include that in your operating expenses.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
First of all, awesome vehicle, especially for that kind of use pattern.
Fist find out what how much warranty is left on it from the dieselgate fix.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Next, that car will not have the engine mentioned above, but most likely a CPNA.
Try to obtain maintenance records to see what kind of life it has lived.

Chow King

TDI
A8L
WAURMAFD7EN007885
This is it. I'll call the local Audi dealer and see if they can explain a little more for me, seems the extended emissions warranty is only good for several thousand more miles? Plus extended emissions warranty verbage has me confused about what it applies to exactly. But thanks again very much for that link and your feedback about the planned use of it.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As far as life expectancy I would expect at least 200k out of it with proper maintenance under that kind of use pattern. Religious oil/fuel filter changes, quality fuel, use of a lubricity additive every fuelup, and routine maintenance.

You'll basically have my Touareg's engine in a light weight sedan which will result in a zippier, more luxurious and more efficient ride. As long as you have a good mechanic servicing it, you'll get lots of enjoyment out of owning it.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So it looks like the 10/120 will apply in your case, meaning that you want any major items to need replacent asap or to have already been replaced (DPF, EGR, Turbo, HPFP, glow plugs, etc.)

Chow King

TDI
A8L
As far as life expectancy I would expect at least 200k out of it with proper maintenance under that kind of use pattern. Religious oil/fuel filter changes, quality fuel, use of a lubricity additive every fuelup, and routine maintenance.

You'll basically have my Touareg's engine in a light weight sedan which will result in a zippier, more luxurious and more efficient ride. As long as you have a good mechanic servicing it, you'll get lots of enjoyment out of owning it.

Chow King

TDI
A8L
This sounds nice, thank you for painting a nice picture but also realistic so far it seems. Very knowledgeable people here! :D

MPMN

TDI
A8L TDI
So i have a 2014 A8L TDI as my daily driver. I bought it certified preowned in 2015. It has been a terrific car and Ive had very minimal issues. Only big thing that happened was the right front wheel bearings went out. I had a local Indy shop do all the work on it since my warranty expired. Regardless, around town its just fine but on the highway is where this beast shines. It loves to cruise and is so smooth. On several road trips we were hitting 40+ miles per gallon. Just around town I’ll do mid to high 20’s based on the weather (i live in snow country). Im currently sitting at 70k miles on the odometer.

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you also drive a DeLorean?
How the Effff did you buy your 2018 model certified and pre-owned 3 years in advance?
So i have a 2018 A8L TDI as my daily driver. I bought it certified preowned in 2015.

A1sailor

TDI
2015 Q5 TDI 3.0

Turbo, I have a Q5 2015 TDI, with 145,000 km and hope to get more than 200,0000 km from it. It was a CPO and got extended Audi warranty, no issues to date other than a sensor. Using Top Tech 4200 507 spec oil.
Is 13,000-15,000 km too long for oil and filter change? 75% highway kms.
How often for fuel filter change?
I see you have a Porsche likely with similar V6 TDI.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
@A1sailor
Not sure why you think I have a Porsche, but I do not.
I have a '14 Touareg with nearly the same milage as your Q5.... just shy of it.... 143k or something....
As per my earlier post, many 3L TDI owners seem to be more comfortable with lower interval oil changes due to fear of timing chain wear.... I myself fluctuate between 13-15k and tow with mine. I have full confidence that it should last well past the 200k mark with proper maintenance.
Mine actually uses\loses\leaks a little over a L of oil between changes, so I find myself topping it off once in a while, but the "oil usage" isn't significant enough for me to go digging into the potential source as it's well within the VW specs for "normal".

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I also change my fuel filter every 40k or sometimes every 2nd oil change if I'm feeling eager.
I do use Stanadyne treatment each and every fillup however. (in both my 3L and 2L CRs)

Chow King

TDI
A8L
Well I took ownership today and did my first 50 mile commute to work, here now, looking forward to return trip home unlike before, very easy on the mind body and soul I must say. Even with very worn perrelli tires got 36.5 mpg. I can appreciate a lot of things about this vehicle so far thanks for the continuous support to date and feedback!!

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for your input TurboABA.
No worries.... based on what you've said and depending on how much you drive, you should still be good for another 48k of coverage and whatever time frame of up to 3 years from now. (less if you drive more than 16k a year).... so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Turbo, I have a Q5 2015 TDI, with 145,000 km

A1sailor

TDI
2015 Q5 TDI 3.0
TurboABA, Our kms are similar, at some point (not sure when) for prevent maintenance I will change serpentine belt, tensioner, idler pulleys. Right now at 146,000 km no noise from bearings and belt looks good. Any thoughts as to when these items should be replaced?
On the Q5 I need to put the front fascia into the service position to get access to these parts for a DIY. So not an easy DIY.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had planned on doing mine based on "visual inspections" and\or noise when present.
I probably have some "maintenance schedule" somewhere in all these PDFs I've downloaded over the years.... I'll do some digging to see what the charts suggest and let you know.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Found it.... it's from USA, but should be similar to us. Looks like it just calls for "inspection" every 40k miles (so roughly 65k kms)

I'd say look at it closely, and if you have any concerns, change it.
I had mine off a few months ago, and it seemed fine, so I'll check it again next summer. Now that the Touareg will be my DD, I'll be using it more, so I may just replace it as PM when summer comes.

TDI772

TDI
2014 A8L TDI, 2013 Q7 TDI
I think timing chains are going to be the heavy hitter. Get some quotes on replacement and include that in your operating expenses.

Timing chain isnt a problem on the later 3.0TDI. the guides will wear long before the chain. As long as you change you oil regularly and use good oil( I use moutl) the timing chain will last the life of the engine. Only reason they fail is people cheap out and try and push the oil change to 12-15k. I would NEVER go longer than 7500 on a TDI oil change.

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
Offering my experience. I have a similar situation, '14 Q5, daily driver, 90% highway, between 100-150 miles per day, and rare towing. I have 147k miles (not km). I purchase CPO at 43K. I use Powerstroke products with each fill-up, 10K oil changes, and all services per Audi recommendation. Repair during ownership was the rear door actuator. I recently changed the glow plugs. I will not be surprised if it lasts another 150K. I would not hesitate to recommend your purchase. I hope this helps.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Good info, i spend a lot of time on the highway and really am starting to get an itch for something larger and was surprised at the cost of the A8 being pretty low considering what junk used cars are going for. Been chatting with my tdi mechanic and he actually really wants the chance to do a delete on it... that would be the only way i would go. The passat has been so much more enjoyable and trouble free after removing the problem pieces of these cars.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
We have a '15 Q7 and a '16 A7. Both are at around 80K miles. Replaced serpentine belt on both. A7 needs new engine mounts. My only complaints are that the Q7 really chews up brakes, and has annoying issues with the convenience features (locks, power seat, power steering column). The A7 does not seem to have the same ailments. Our previous '09 Q7 had around 120K on it when they bought it back. Had to replace the adblue transfer pump, and would likely had to replace the NOx sensors if we would have kept it. They probably won't be as reliable as our '05 Passat, but it's not as nice to drive on long trips either. However, it's a downright fun car in it's own way.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Might look at changing the transmission and other drivetrain fluids. Audi says that the trans fluid is "lifetime". ZF, the manufacturer, says change it and the filter at 60-70K.