Seeking AC Answers for 98 Jetta

MicroRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking
Last summer I just put up with these problems, but this year I would like to fix them before the season start.

1.) The first problem with the Air Conditioning was what looked like smoke coming from the vents. There was a tendacy for the smoke to come and go and it was not always when it was super hot out. Also the smoke could be a mist because it had no smell.

2.) The second problem was getting water on the passenger side. Water would drip on a passenger foot on occation and the floor would become soaked if the AC ran awhile.

The AC definitely blows cold, so I'm not sure if recharging will fix anything. Anybody have any clues.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
I'll take a stab at these.

1. The smoke you are describing is most likely water vapor condensing in the cold air, kind of like clouds in the sky. This is normal and most cars do it when its humid. You may also see condensation on the vent grilles.

2. This issue sounds like your evaporator drain tube is clogged/broken/or detached. This allows water that forms in the airbox to drip out of the car and make those water puddles under cars in the summer. I'm not sure of its exact location on your car but it is what I would check first.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Look for the little U shaped flaps cut into the shiny material on the firewall. Lift them one by one. The drain tube is behind one of them.