Second swap done. 1994 Jeep XJ PD150/ALH hybrid, GTD1756, 280 injectors, HGM Compushift for AW4

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
Didn't think I would do another one after the CJ7, but they're so much fun to do. This time I did an automatic in the XJ. The Compushift is such an amazing little device. I currently have the AW4 valve body on it with the TV cable, but I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 A340 with the extra solenoid that I'm going to throw in (eliminates the cable and line pressure will be done by CompuShift).

The injectors were from Jarod March, the turbo from PowerTDI. The tune is mine, but will be done by Tekmektronics in the next month or so. I've tested it about 100 miles and pushed it a few times. It doesn't seem as fast as the CJ, but that could be perception, and also because of the slushgbox. I plan to do gears and maybe a locker. It'll become my DD and I'll store the Tundra in the garage.

Here is a quick video of testing. The dash is OneGauge, and is being replaced due to lag and difficulties to get it working right. Instead I have two Defi Advance clones (one from AliExpress and the other from JRP), and a Speedhut gauge on order. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/20j6wsFfAOE

I did port the head and put dual valve springs on this motor when I rebuilt it. Overkill for what I'm doing with it, but still nice to have if I decide I want to go crazy. It has electric power steering from a Volvo, cruise control integrated into the stock controls, AC and heat work as well. All I need is a front drive shaft, my front bumper I ordered, and I want a tire carrier for the rear as well.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
What tire size and gearing are you running? I'm very familiar with choosing gearing for manuals but I'm still trying to figure out how to choose gearing for a slush box build. With a 5 speed you have 5 set gears. With a slush you slip in every year except the lock up top gear(s)

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
What tire size and gearing are you running? I'm very familiar with choosing gearing for manuals but I'm still trying to figure out how to choose gearing for a slush box build. With a 5 speed you have 5 set gears. With a slush you slip in every year except the lock up top gear(s)
Sorry for the delayed response. Currently I'm running a 31" tire with 3.54 gearing. I want to change the gearing to 4.10 or 4.56. Cruising around town I run in 3rd gear, but my standalone TCU allows me to set the TCC where I want, or do it manual. I have it locked in 3rd gear and above at speeds of 45 and higher. The CompuShift TCU is pretty legit, although pricey.

Here is my latest video. Take the numbers with a grain of salt.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
I'll be curious to see what your long-term fuel economy looks like on it. How much does the Jeep weigh? I have a TDI in my LandCruiser and while it is a heavy rig I still think I could be getting better mileage.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you allow some slippage in 3rd gear without burning up the clutches in the transfer case at say sub 50 mph speeds.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll be curious to see what your long-term fuel economy looks like on it. How much does the Jeep weigh? I have a TDI in my LandCruiser and while it is a heavy rig I still think I could be getting better mileage.
I'm jealous of all these guys hitting 30 mpg. I think 26 has been my best, 22 worst. Most recent fill up was 24.5.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
I'm jealous of all these guys hitting 30 mpg. I think 26 has been my best, 22 worst. Most recent fill up was 24.5.
Same here! My best was 29mpg, but lifetime average over the past 60k km is about 23.5mpg. Granted, my rig is quite heavy for an ALH at around 5000lbs, I have a rooftop tent and most of the highway driving I do is at 75mph.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
As soon as doomsday releases the TDI to land rover adapter I'll have a similar weight rig in the disco 2 running one of my BHW motors. It is running 285/70/16s on a 4 inch lift. Will likely get a 1 inch body lift to help clear the tall TDI motor. I would really like it to see 20+. Mpg. It also has 3.54 gears, the ratios of the 4hp24 are similar to the aw4 but the transfer case is either 1.2 or 1.4 (cannot remember now) which gets me to about 90mph at 3000 rpms.... about perfect for a highway commuter. The disco 2 feels squirrely, even stock, above about 80.

The xj and 4runners are toys compared to the mass found in land cruisers and the discovery, by about half a ton.

Last edited:

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
That is on the list of things to do. I just put on the bumper yesterday, and need to get new tires on it and will be going smaller. I'd guess probably stock numbers since I removed the 4.0 but added a 3-link and don't plan to go crazy with tires.

Can you allow some slippage in 3rd gear without burning up the clutches in the transfer case at say sub 50 mph speeds.
I can fully control the transmission however I want. I can make it work fully manual, or have the TCC lock up when I push a button. I have a trans temp gauge in the body of the transmission (older than either 95 or 96 had a plug near the dipstick) and haven't seen temps higher than 170F yet. That is also through the stock cooler/warmer in the radiator. My plan is to test it fully out, and if I need to I'll put in an auxiliary cooler w/ bypass and fan.

As soon as doomsday releases the TDI to land rover adapter I'll have a similar weight rig in the disco 2 running one of my BHW motors. It is running 285/70/16s on a 4 inch lift. Will likely get a 1 inch body lift to help clear the tall TDI motor. I would really like it to see 20+. Mpg. It also has 3.54 gears, the ratios of the 4hp24 are similar to the aw4 but the transfer case is either 1.2 or 1.4 (cannot remember now) which gets me to about 90mph at 3000 rpms.... about perfect for a highway commuter. The disco 2 feels squirrely, even stock, above about 80.
This is running a 3" lift w/ 245/75R17 (31.5x9.6R17), so tire size is comparable. I can say that over 2300 RPM is perfect cruising speed where I live. The CJ is at 2300 in 5th at highway speeds (75 MPH) and the XJ is about the same locked in 3rd, hence the reason why I want to regear.