Seattle Mechanics: Fine Tuning, Bug Aid, Autovice, University VW or someone else?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Dante, I counted 7 or 8 different mechanics (mentioned above) :)

Maybe you went with Fine Tuning? That would leave 6 or 7 others to try. Matthew is the only one that I personally know to recommend in that area.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I have never been to Seattle, but I'm getting the impression from this thread and others that Fine Tuning should not be the first choice for TDI repairs and maintenance. Also, that if one goes to them, everything must be in writing including the estimated date of completion. It seems that days turn into weeks, and weeks turn into months, where Fine Tuning is concerned.

bugget

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI GLS 2000
They never complained about my mods. They know about my chip and nozzles and all they have ever said about it is that I am straining my engine more than it was designed for. I imagine that if something in the drive train went I would hear that warning again but that is about it. I can't imagine they would say anything about it if you are just looking to have your harness redone.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Fine tuning was the one I meant when I said "(mentioned above)". I guess I should have said "(mentioned in my posts above)". I won't use them again. They were slow, they overfilled my oil (should have done it myself, but figured since the car was there I'd leave the oil and have them do it), and the oil leak they "repaired" started leaking again within months and they wouldn't step up. I subsequently fixed it myself and it hasn't leaked since. Suffice it to say, I think I can do better. Your mileage may vary.

I'll probably pay a convenience premium and use Fat City because they are so close to work. I can throw my bike rack on the car and ride my bike home from work and back to work the next day if I use them.

Last edited:

bugget

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI GLS 2000
Dante said:
I'll probably pay a convenience premium and use Fat City because they are so close to work. I can throw my bike rack on the car and ride my bike home from work and back to work the next day if I use them.
That is exactly why I use them. They are just right there and for little things they haven't messed anything up. Good luck!

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
Ugh! Geez! Why do people go to Fat City? The Previous Owner of my golf used 'em for a timing belt change, they charged 1600, and used the wrong belt and tensioners, so I had to change it out again 20k miles later! I wouldn't care if I worked next door to them, I'd go out of my way not to get screwed...

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
All or most of these shops are on the "recommended mechanics" list.

So which ones belong there and which ones don't?

bugget

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI GLS 2000
conejo_a_cuatro said:
Ugh! Geez! Why do people go to Fat City? The Previous Owner of my golf used 'em for a timing belt change, they charged 1600, and used the wrong belt and tensioners, so I had to change it out again 20k miles later! I wouldn't care if I worked next door to them, I'd go out of my way not to get screwed...
I dunno about that. I have been going to them for over a decade now. They are expensive for sure but I have never had them do anything wrong and I have never had them charge me $1600 for a timing belt which I did have done there once. Might the previous owner have been exaggerating?

Last edited:

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
kiwibru said:
So how is Matthew over at Zahntech in relationship to mods? Tolerant?
Will do them? No go?
He put in my 17/22 and my McNally gauges. :D Give him a call.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
conejo_a_cuatro said:
I've read much more good than bad about them here. We all know they're expensive, but they seem to have a reputation for honesty (e.g., not doing unneccesary work)

Anyone else have bad experienced with Fat City?

Thanks to Fred's I fixed my own problem. I did some searches and learned that my glow plug light was blinking bacause I'd let both brake lights burn out :( Now I can get my vehicle emissions tested. I just hope the apes at Emissions do it right the first time so I don't have to do it twice like last time :mad:

ETA Can anyone recommend someone in the seattle area to install a turbo-back exhaust? It's been sitting in my garage for months

Last edited:

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
Well, I have the dated receipt in my glove box, so I don't think he was exaggerating. DBW can give you first hand knowledge of the state of my timing belt when I had him do it, if he still remembers!

SeaDsl

TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG
bugget said:
More than tolerant I would say :D A great guy too!
I highly recommend Zahntech. I am putting in new injector nozzles and timing belt in a few months and I am definitely going there.

I also recommend The Wagon Shop in Kirkland. They specialize in VWs. Had all my previous VWs worked on by them when they were located in Bellevue. They are also very honest and would not push any unnecessary work.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Any more good Seattle area TDI mechanics?

I've been away from the board for a while, and did some searches to see if the options have improved. It looks like Zahntech and Oldpoopie are the leading contenders.

I want to have someone give my car a thorough checkup/tune up. It hasn't been 100% since the last TB change, so I'd like someone to make sure the timing and VAG-COM settings are correct, and that everything is working as it should.

I also need someone to install a 2" Metalnerd lift and Koni Sports and do a full suspension refresh. Then I'll need an alignment.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI

I've been away from the board for a while, and did some searches to see if the options have improved. It looks like Zahntech and Oldpoopie are the leading contenders.

I want to have someone give my car a thorough checkup/tune up. It hasn't been 100% since the last TB change, so I'd like someone to make sure the timing and VAG-COM settings are correct, and that everything is working as it should.

I also need someone to install a 2" Metalnerd lift and Koni Sports and do a full suspension refresh. Then I'll need an alignment.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Zahntech is closer than Ol'P, but a day in Oregon is always a good thing.

v8volvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Who did the last TB, and what's not 100%? Down on power or mileage? :)

If it just needs to be plugged in and poked at, might be able to find a member here who would be willing to help out with a VCDS cable.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Who did the last TB, and what's not 100%? Down on power or mileage? :)

If it just needs to be plugged in and poked at, might be able to find a member here who would be willing to help out with a VCDS cable.
I had Dr. Dan do the last TB change and both power and MPG are down. I'm not slamming Dan--my aftermarket IC pipes rubbed the timing marks off my pulley, making his job more difficult.

I have a VAG COM, but I want someone to give my car a thorough check-up/tune-up and am willing to pay for the peace of mind. I've neglected it a bit lately. It's almost to 120K, I have two kids who will start driving it in the next year or two, and I'd like to get at least 250K out of it (if neither kid wrecks it).

I also need someone to install a Metalnerd lift and Koni Sports, and plant to do a suspension refresh while I'm at it.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had Dr. Dan do the last TB change and both power and MPG are down. I'm not slamming Dan--my aftermarket IC pipes rubbed the timing marks off my pulley, making his job more difficult.
I thought the marks were on the flywheel, identifying TDC, a considerable distance from the IC? :eek:

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
OK, my bad. I've never replaced a timing belt myself. Dan said timing marks were missing. He didn't say why. I ASSUMED they were missing from the pulley because it rubbed on the pipe... :eek:

Dan does TB changes for customers fairly frequently, and I've been buying fuel from him for a long time. I have no reason to distrust him. The bottom line is the car has had less "oomph" and MPGs since the TB change. I'm trying to arrange a time to visit oldpoopie.

If that doesn't work, I'll try Zahntech again. I think I used them once before when I worked on the Eastside, but spending a weekend in Portland with the wife while oldpoopie works on my car is no more of a pain than having the car serviced in Redmond...

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, my bad. I've never replaced a timing belt myself. Dan said timing marks were missing. He didn't say why. I ASSUMED they were missing from the pulley because it rubbed on the pipe...
Your signature says you have a VR6 clutch, which means you've also replaced the flywheel. Some replacement flywheels lack a mark for top dead center (TDC) -- I had one of those for a while, and it complicated the task of setting the timing exactly.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
OK, now I'm confused... double posting going on here. I thought I was contributing useful information in another thread. I see now it's all been covered here.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Your signature says you have a VR6 clutch, which means you've also replaced the flywheel. Some replacement flywheels lack a mark for top dead center (TDC) -- I had one of those for a while, and it complicated the task of setting the timing exactly.
That sounds like the most likely explanation. I just sent an email to Matt at Zahntech. I'm sure I can get in there sooner than I can get down to Portland. I think Zahntech may have installed my Shine suspension. I'm pretty sure I had them do some work when I worked on the Eastside.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Aha. that would 'splain it.

lchizz

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan
best current job for timing belt/water pump in seattle/eastside?

Hey everyone. Just picked up a an 06 tdi that is at 104k and needs a belt and water pump asap. Who offers the best service for the money in the area? I'm in Kirkland, but I'm not opposed to going to seattle if it makes the most sense.

I've got a call into Finetuning but they aren't open yet :p

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Yeah on Matthew at Zahntech. He does great work, is detailed oriented and he has a good relationship with a nearby alignment shop. He has a complete systems check list that he can run the car through and he will get back to you with the details. When I need work that requires a lift I head to Redmond.