Seattle Area Suspension Shop Recommendations?

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
I've got a Metalnerd 2" lift on the way and need to have it and Koni Sports installed. My car's got about 120,000 miles on it, so I thought I'd do a suspension refresh at the same time. Any shop recommendations? Seattle proper would be ideal.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Thanks FlyTDI Guy.

Any other suggestions? I was hoping that things had changed over the past couple years. It looks like the choices are still limited.

Anyone know if oldpoopie does suspension work? I shot him a PM and email about the suspension and engine work I need. Hopefully he'll respond.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I'm sure he does... A couple hours down to Portland isn't that big a deal. If you're willing to go that far, Rich @ Fix-um Haus can get you fixed up as well.

v8volvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Not that limited. You could look up Dr. Dan's in Ballard -- small shop, focused on the biodiesel community, but does high quality general work, almost exclusively TDI, including performance upgrades, suspension, etc. I did time as the main wrench there a couple years back -- high rate of customer loyalty and satisfaction. Calendar can be full since it's one-bay operation but worth a call anyway.

http://drdansbiodiesel.com/services/auto-repair/

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
I've been a customer of Dr. Dan's since 2000. I've had him do various jobs over the years. He did had some trouble with my last TB change--something to do with missing timing marks--and the car hasn't had the same "oomph" or MPG since. I'll discuss this job with him, too.

I'm corresponding with oldpoopie by email. If we can find a date that will work for both of us, I'll probably spend the weekend in Portland with my wife while he works on my car.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
You might as well get Justin to correct your timing situation while you're at it. You are probably missing the TDC mark on the flywheel. Some are like that. With a little futzing, it can be established but takes a bit of patience and ingenuity. I'm betting you can get it better or at least verified as correct.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
You might as well get Justin to correct your timing situation while you're at it. You are probably missing the TDC mark on the flywheel. Some are like that. With a little futzing, it can be established but takes a bit of patience and ingenuity. I'm betting you can get it better or at least verified as correct.
That's the plan. I've neglected the car a little bit recently. (I moved on to other hobbies for a while, but have a renewed interest in the car now.) I also have two teenagers who will start driving the car in the next year or two. In addition to the suspension work, I plan to have either Justin/oldpoopie or Matt at Zahntech check the timing and VAG COM settings and perform any other checks/inspections he recommends. The goal is to identify and correct any significant problems to the extent doing so is possible.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
I ended up going with Matthew at Zahntech. I am very impressed. Matthew did an excellent job with respect to the work I requested, and also fixed a bunch of little things I had forgotten to ask him to address. Matthew at Zahntech is now my "go to" TDI mechanic.

77 K20

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg TDI LUX
I ended up going with Matthew at Zahntech. I am very impressed. Matthew did an excellent job with respect to the work I requested, and also fixed a bunch of little things I had forgotten to ask him to address. Matthew at Zahntech is now my "go to" TDI mechanic.

I can second this. I had to travel from Montana to Seattle to take my daughter to her appointment at Seattle Children's Hospital last week. I'd heard Matthew at Zahntech was highly recommended so I had him do some work on my Golf. It has 170k miles on it and figured it was time for new injectors. My gas mileage and power had been going down hill.

I'm going to be putting a ton of miles on it so wanted him to look it over.

He looked it over, installed new balanced Titan 520s, cleaned the intake, changed the brake fluid, cleaned a bit under hood (including a mouse nest that I just noticed had happened during the winter). Think there was more- but can't remember the whole list right now.

Now the car is running great, it is fun to drive, and is getting good mileage again.

The first tank was around 600 miles and I got 43 mpg out of it. Some of that was playing with new found power and going over several passes.

Yesterday and today I drove from Montana to Morgan Hill CA. First tank was 46 mpg, and today I drove 725 miles from Twin Falls ID to Morgan Hill. My gas light is about to come on, but hasn't yet.

I'm very happy. :D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I can second this. I had to travel from Montana to Seattle to take my daughter to her appointment at Seattle Children's Hospital last week. I'd heard Matthew at Zahntech was highly recommended so I had him do some work on my Golf. It has 170k miles on it and figured it was time for new injectors. My fuel mileage and power had been going down hill.

I'm going to be putting a ton of miles on it so wanted him to look it over.

He looked it over, installed new balanced Titan 520s, cleaned the intake, changed the brake fluid, cleaned a bit under hood (including a mouse nest that I just noticed had happened during the winter). Think there was more- but can't remember the whole list right now.

Now the car is running great, it is fun to drive, and is getting good mileage again.

The first tank was around 600 miles and I got 43 mpg out of it. Some of that was playing with new found power and going over several passes.

Yesterday and today I drove from Montana to Morgan Hill CA. First tank was 46 mpg, and today I drove 725 miles from Twin Falls ID to Morgan Hill. My fuel light is about to come on, but hasn't yet.

I'm very happy. :D
Fixed it for yah! :D