Seats too thin

bigdv

TDI
2012 passat se
Have any of you felt the seat bottom cushion is too thin? I have had my car for less than a week and if I drive it more than 20 minutes my right leg starts to tingle. I think these seats do need thicker foam. Has anyone pulled the seats yet? i might just have to pull the driver side seat and figure out how to add more foam. I am a big guy and I need thick cushions to sit on.

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
I am about 260 lbs and I ride in my car over an hour each way to work and I haven't noticed any issues. When i first looked at this car I thought the seats looked thin but they feel comfortable to me now that I have about 2000 mile on it.

bigdv

TDI
2012 passat se
thanks

Thanks guys. But I have come to the conclusion that I need to do something more than just move the seat or try a different position. I am sitting on top of the frame of the seat bottom when I am sitting in the seat so I guess I will find a seat cushion for now to sit on. Like I said I am a big guy. 5'11' and approx 290 lbs. and need more support than most peaople.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Might try ordering a leather seat, or seeking one from a wrecked SEL, they usually have heavier ticking material in them, with more support.

TDI_SC

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Might try ordering a leather seat, or seeking one from a wrecked SEL, they usually have heavier ticking material in them, with more support.
Just as an FYI... The seats in the SEL Premium I have are NOT leather. They have leather outer trim, but the seat bottom (center) is a sueded fabric. It's not leather though.

TDI_SC

Megarep

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL PLATINUM
I've had mine for 3 weeks and 1400 miles, my right thigh has been screaming lately! Think the problem is I can't change the angle on the front of the cushion. I am going to keep playing with the controls, if not I will look into the seat cushion cure.

bigdv

TDI
2012 passat se
same situation

I've had mine for 3 weeks and 1400 miles, my right thigh has been screaming lately! Think the problem is I can't change the angle on the front of the cushion. I am going to keep playing with the controls, if not I will look into the seat cushion cure.

I am in the same situation as you are. Right now I am sitting on a 4" cushion that covers most of the seat. This is what I am using until I can figure out how to remove the seat without deploying the airbag. Don't have much time off these days. I like to have at least a couple of days off to do this.

turborip

seat

Hey Big, You may consider shimming the rear of the seat up 1/2'' or so to change the seat angle. I also have had that issue.

bigdv

TDI
2012 passat se
Hey Big, You may consider shimming the rear of the seat up 1/2'' or so to change the seat angle. I also have had that issue.

What do you mean by shimming? Are you talking about using more foam? Right now I am using a 4" pad to sit on and it is working ok. What I would really like to do is pull this seat out and add more foam or do something so I still have my heated seats. You know what I mean?

turborip

You can change the seat angle by raising the rear of the seat up by adding a spacer between the seat frame and the floor.This will reduce the pressure under the knee.I have not done this but their is a post on this site of someone doing that.
Rip

turborip

Big, Click on the search bar and type in '' jetta seats uncomfortable" and scroll the page for the post date of 8-6-08 for more information on shimming. I sold my 09 jetta,same seats as the passat, due to the seat angle. I wished i had tried the shimming.
Rip

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
I find the front seat cushions are too thin in my 2015 SEL. I get butt burn after 2 - 3hrs of driving. I don't have this problem in my 2003 Jetta GLS.

I'm 6' 2" and 180 lbs.

fauxToez

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I find the front seat cushions are too thin in my 2015 SEL. I get butt burn after 2 - 3hrs of driving. I don't have this problem in my 2003 Jetta GLS.

I'm 6' 2" and 180 lbs.

Man, it's always seating issues that make me not mind being a tiny, thin man. Bumping into the walls and hitting a new funny bone every day sucks ass but at least airline travel and my Passat SEL seats are fine.

Are you just going to go the seat cushion route or go all out and find some comfy new seat(s)?

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
If i had enough free time i would figure out the wiring and do the upgrade to cc seats from a wrecker (also mentions that perhaps toureg and golf r seats fit too? Dont know about wiring pattern) that someone did a full rework on a few years back. I just havent had enough time.

I did buy a back up seat from a junk yard in louisville for $80 bucks (free pick up) since my bottom leatherette has already started to crack and flake.

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
I recently raised my seat up to where my head just clears the roof. I hoping the additional support for my thighs and legs will shift some weight off my butt.

I don't believe the cushion is bottoming out on the frame, but I can't be sure since it only happened on this last 3.5 our trip. Maybe a better way of describing it as the bottom cushion is too firm.

If there are gell pads that work well in the Passat SEL I'm all ears.