Seat Airbag Replacement

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
I have an opportunity to get some really nice GTI leather seats for a steal. The catch is the car they are coming out of was in an accident and the drivers seat airbag went off. It didn't damage the leather and just the stitches were damaged. Is it possible to just replace the airbag and stitch up the seat cover? I searched and found next to nothing on the subject. Also, are all the MK4 airbags compatible? Can I just go to a pull-a-part and remove an airbag from a mk4 golf/jetta there and transplant it over?

For the record, I am getting all the seats for $250. Should I just move on and keep looking or is this an easy fix?

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
I walked away from the deal. I contacted several auto upholstery shops and nobody would touch it due to liability.

Htown

TDI
2001 jetta
Bummer. Well I'm getting the leather seats for free and the only damage is the driver seat airbag. The donor car is an 04 and mine is an 01. Anyone know if I can just remove the airbag from my current seat and slap it on the "new" one without any problems? Is it an easy procedure? Is it safe? My current seats are cloth and a bit beat up, so I don't know if I should fix my current ones or just swap the seats and re use the airbag. I live in Houston so I don't think I'll have trouble finding someone that will stitch it up. Thanks

kltk1

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I just happen to be in a, somewhat, similar situation. I have an airbag lite coming up on the dashboard. The folks at M&M Auto/cycle (Mike Hevner and co.) have traced the problem to the drivers side seat airbag. Does anyone know if the airbag is replaceable? Or do you have to replace the entire seat? If it is replaceable, who would do that? a mechanic or an auto upholstery shop?

2005 New Jetta. Leather seats.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I just happen to be in a, somewhat, similar situation. I have an airbag lite coming up on the dashboard. The folks at M&M Auto/cycle (Mike Hevner and co.) have traced the problem to the drivers side seat airbag. Does anyone know if the airbag is replaceable? Or do you have to replace the entire seat? If it is replaceable, who would do that? a mechanic or an auto upholstery shop?

2005 New Jetta. Leather seats.
I'd look things up on partsbase.org. If it shows up as a separate part then I'd think that it's replaceable.

carebearw3

TDI
2003 Jetta
Totaled 03 Jetta

[/IMG]

I would like to repair my car and need info on replacing the airbags in the headliner and Driver seat. I would not let the at fault insurance take my car and bought it back for a mere $600. This was mostly due to amount of money I had put into it 5 days before I was hit.. Timing belt broke and as most of you know that is a terrible thing to happen to these amazing little cars and your pocketbook.. I can find and replace the doors easy enough, but I am curious about the airbags. I am located in Utah, but not above getting parts out of state.

carebearw3

TDI
2003 Jetta
I'm currently looking for an entire replacement body. The motor is newly rebuilt so I'd like to swap it out. I was okay with driving it with replaced airbags and new doors with a salvage title. I am not looking to sell it anytime soon so I might as well fix it up where I can just drive it if I'm not able to find a shell to put the motor in.

Last edited: