Search not working using Android smartphone or tablet

Dieselboy

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 1981 Caddy Tdi ALH Swap
When ever I try to search the forums with my smartphone or tablet the pop up window comes up but as soon as I start typing the page always shifts to the top left corner ! What the deal?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
How are you accessing this site? Are you using a browser or Tap-a-Talk? Which browser? I do not know why you are experiencing this, but I do know that this site works fine on my Android tablet running FireFox for Android. I do not have (or want) a smart phone.

Have Fun!

Don

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
I had the same problem and discovered that you can search if you use "Advanced Search" which is a choice on the search popup when it first appears. The advanced search function works correctly with Chrome on Android.

When I was using an older version of Chrome the forum's search function worked just as "Dieselboy" describes and the window would zoom to a very large size only showing an upper corner without doing a search.

The search function works differently but still incorrectly with the latest version of Chrome on Android. I'm currently using Chrome browser (version 32.0.1700.99) and Android (version 4.4.2 KitKat) on a 2013 Nexus 7.

Now when I click on the "Search" function I get the normal popup where I can enter a search string and select "Show Threads" or "Show Posts" but when I try to enter a search string the popup disappears after the keyboard displays and when I enter the first character of text the keyboard disappears.

For additional reference, I do not have this search problem when using Apple iOS, Apple Mac OS or Microsoft Windows on this forum. Also, the forum appears to be using vBulletin (Version 3.8.5) software and I'm guessing there is an incompatibility between that version and Chrome causing this problem. I don't have this search problem on a different forum which uses vBulletin version 4.2.1.

NOTE: I'm not advocating or requesting any updates or changes to the forum's software. I'm just providing information from my own experiences to help others understand and work around this issue.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Everything works fantastic with Tapatalk. It's actually better than using it on the computer with the exception of posting photos

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
The search function on the site is less than optimal. The best way to search for topics is to google your issue or question with basic key words followed by "tdiclub".

Example,"Limp mode caused by bad turbo tdiclub". And you'll get plenty of threads linked right to the club through google.