Seals covered under extended emissions warranty?

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
So I've got leaks in both the crankshaft and camshaft seals. Dealer says the extended emissions warranty doesn't cover seals, I contend they are part of "the assembled long block." Dealer agreed to submit to VW, anyone have experience with this part of the warranty?

Edit: this is for my 2013 Passat TDI.

Last edited:

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Have the same issue on my ‘15 Golf (leaking from crank seal on the timing belt side). Haven’t gone in to VW for a diagnosis. The outcome of your case may change my mind. Good luck and please keep us posted!

bill4d

TDI
2014 Passsat B7
So I've got leaks in both the crankshaft and camshaft seals. Dealer says the extended emissions warranty doesn't cover seals, I contend they are part of "the assembled long block." Dealer agreed to submit to VW, anyone have experience with this part of the warranty?

Edit: this is for my 2013 Passat TDI.
Have you come to any resolution with the dealer on the seals being considered part of the long block assembly and covered under the extended warranty?

I have an oil leak at the oil filter / cooler gasket, which my dealer is stating is not part of the extended warranty.

bill4d

TDI
2014 Passsat B7
Long block - differences decided in favor of the customer, both statements in the settlement.
Exactly! Wasn't sure anyone read the settlement as closely as you and I. I actually was going to post an image of the booklet I received. But here is the direct quoted paragraph from the settlement document/booklet.

"The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable taxes. If the warranty service is scheduled to take longer than three hours VW must provide a loaner vehicle. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty. Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer."

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: VW is covering the seals, along with a new timing belt since it was soaked in oil. Dealer tried to talk me into full timing belt service (idlers, water pump, etc.) which I declined since I've still got 80k miles to the next scheduled timing belt service.

My experience with this dealer is they will try and get me to pay first, but when pushed will then go to VW and support the claim. A bit of searching here finally found VWP-17-08 specifying the covered parts, so I knew that it should be covered, and I referred the dealer to that.

Still waiting on the repair though, parts shipping has aparantly been slow during the holidays.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
I keep seeing "Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer" being quoted, but I don't think it means that the customer gets to dictate just what the warranty covers. I believe it refers to conflicts with other warranty coverage, as referenced in the immediatly preceding sentence, and just means that VW can't say that another warranty doesn't cover something or is no longer in force therefore they won't cover it. It just means that the consumer gets the best combined coverage from all warranties.

And where the seals and timing belt are absolutely part of a long block, bill4d's gasket may not be. But still worth pushing VW on it. jonferns' seal should absolutely be covered.