Sdi Cam...

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
I have one SDI cam but i don't know the engine code exactly...i believe is AGP or AEY... in the cam there's the following numbers on it: "28H" and "004" wich is the meaning of these numbers? has the AGP cam the same specifications than AEY?
I'm very interested in install it beacouse it's than new and my afn cam has 250.000km on it...

If i install it, is there any method for to test if the pistons will hit the valves without to have starting the engine?

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Pistons will not hit the valve.. more duration is beneficial, more lift isn't (with stock head)

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
OK OK OK... well, pistons won't hit the valves... where i can get information about SDI camshafts specifications? i need to know if the AGP and AEY cams are the same and which's the meaning of the numbers on it(28H and 004)...

in the table i posted: wich is the meaning of n/a in lift?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Diesel_Benz said:
See that little EDIT button on the lower right corner of your post? Use that instead of the back button.
Ok, but I accidently hit post and the the whole thing crapped out on me :confused:

Well..

imo there is not so much to be gained by cam alone on stock head..

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87 said:
Ok, but I accidently hit post and the the whole thing crapped out on me :confused:

Well..

imo there is not so much to be gained by cam alone on stock head..
For me, there is sufficient gained by new cam in stock head instead of 250.000KM cam with visible wear...

someone can help me with my questions? Thanks in advance:)

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
what oil do you have there? how much time between oil changes?

I have engine with over 550.000km's an still looks like new inside..

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87 said:
what oil do you have there? how much time between oil changes?

I have engine with over 550.000km's an still looks like new inside..
I bought my car with 160.000Km, with a headgasket problem... cam wear was there when i open valve cover the first time...
I use Mobil1 10W40 high performance for turbochargers cars, and i change it with 7500Km... i change the oil filter in each time...

do you know the meaning of the numbers in cam(28H,004)? how i can to know if this cam will fit in my engine? i know the engine code is AGP or AEY... i believe is AGP, where i can get information about AGP,AFN and AEY camshafts specifications?

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
I'm not sure on the numbers though i think the cam should fit with little to no mods.............that oil that you are using , is it for turbo-diesels or just turbocharged motors.......if its for just turbocharged motors although the grade is fine it will not have the soot rageme in it that carries the soot away after the combustion process......so i would change the type of oil your using for one that does.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
mojogoes said:
I'm not sure on the numbers though i think the cam should fit with little to no mods.............that oil that you are using , is it for turbo-diesels or just turbocharged motors.......if its for just turbocharged motors although the grade is fine it will not have the soot rageme in it that carries the soot away after the combustion process......so i would change the type of oil your using for one that does.
Oil i used is for turbodiesels...the cam wear was there when i bought my car...oil isn't my problem but thanks for suggestions...

where i can get information about AEY and AGP cams?
how i can to know if it will fit in my engine? PLEASE, I NEED SOME HELP WITH THIS!

Last edited:

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
hatemi said:
If its 028 then it will fit. And i'm 99% sure 038 cam would fit aswell.
Yeah! that's good! will be necessary valves/head work for to fit it?

Last edited:

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87 said:
2nd time: no!
2nd time: THANKS!:)

hehehe ok man...be patient, i want to be really sure about it... i don't want a homemade bomb when i start the engine!:D
I will install it tomorrow...i will tell you my experiences... THANKS AGAIN

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Always when you work on the timing belt, be sure timing is correct and then turn the engine a couple of turns by hand so you are sure there's no piston/ valve contact.. then recheck the tensioner

I saved me one day when I did a TB on a 1Y engine which somehow had a wrong mark on the flywheel..

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87 said:
Always when you work on the timing belt, be sure timing is correct and then turn the engine a couple of turns by hand so you are sure there's no piston/ valve contact.. then recheck the tensioner

I saved me one day when I did a TB on a 1Y engine which somehow had a wrong mark on the flywheel..
one last question... when i will turn the engine by hand, how will i know when there's piston to valves contact? is it very noticable?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
you'll feel.. and when you inset the cam locking plate and then look at the flywheel mark you're safe..

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, i'm sure about my cam is from AGP/AQM engine...
the oem number is: 038 109 101 E
the oem number for AEY is "028 109 101 E"
AEY is a SDI 64hps engine and AGP is a SDI 68hps engine...
AEY cam seal has the same VW number than AFN but AGP cam seal VW number is a bit different:
AGP: 038 103 085 C
AEY/AFN: 068 103 085 E
wich cam seal have i install?

I can't understand the meaning of the numbers in the camshafts specifications table i showed in first post... wich will be the pros/cons for to install it with the stock software in ECU? my first cam swap reason is for wear conditions of my AFN cam...

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
I did the cams change this afternoon, no fitted problems but engine has a horrible idle... has a horrible shudder/jumping at idle...it's undriveable!...a lot of grey smoke...my stupid pc doesn't want to connect with vagcom... what's happening in my engine???:confused:

Last edited:

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Do you know how old your lifters are did you change them aswell or leave the old one in....it sounds like the timing is retarde for some reason , i take it that the cam was locked down aswell as the ip and crank being in tdc.

Last edited:

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
mojogoes said:
Most are going with a 3 hole gasket i believe.
I have two holes gasket...
??? What want do you say?:confused:

Silva said:
See the TDI timing in vag-com
Idle is horrible... i don't want to keep it at idle for to see the timing... when you loose one injector nut engine has
shudder idle... my idle is than that but worse,too much worse...

all parts was blocked for doing the work... i turn engine by hand four times and then rechecked the tensioner,cam,IP and the flywheel mark...all is set up properly... can be a IQ problem?

Last edited:

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
mojogoes said:
Sorry i cross posted!!:eek:

Where is the timing in vag-com!!
timing issue... is possible that timing change for to use a different cam?
how i test/adjust it with less damage to the engine? idle is terrible...

Last edited:

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
I would tell you how but i don't want to be responsible if anything went wrong.........all i can suggest is to get your hands on an afn cam and fit that..............it seams that that cam is retarding the valves from opening/closing which can happen with obviously the correct cam if you go too far.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, thanks a lot for your help... i will install the afn cam again... i've saw it better and only has one lobe with a bit of wear, the second lobe... worked for nothing... well, i can use this SDI cam than sex tool...:mad:
Meaning of the history: DON'T USE SDI CAMS IN YOUR TDI!

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Can't see why a TDI would not idle with a sdi cam if timing etc is set well..