SD Card mp4 file display

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I transferred some mp4 files from iTunes onto a 128 SDXC card formatted to exFAT per the owner's manual. The issue is when I bring up the track list on the touch screen it displays all the artwork files first, which of course are not playable, then the playable music files after all the non-playable files are listed. So if I want to select a track I have to scroll past all of the non-playable files to get to the playable ones. Touching an artwork file will just result in an error message. Scrolling to the playable files can be quite a chore when there are hundreds of files and I have to get to at least one in order to start the playlist. Why would the artwork show up as a separate file from the actual mp4, it does not display that way on other devices. Anyone know a workaround?

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Seems like I remember reading the directory structure used is important for things to work as you want. There are posts here about this I read long ago.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
its a while ago that I added MP3 music files on a SD card for my Passat.

Unless I remember wrong I formatted the card to FAT 32 and then just added the MP3 music files. I don't remember making a directory either.
Personally I think that your problem is using iTune files which are NOT MP3.

I get no "artwork" or anything similar showing up! Only titles and artists names are displayed while playing.

Last edited:

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
You cn get art work on MP3

I use MP3 files to listen to audio books form CD's
Ripped to computer as MP3 files to SD Cards

Artwork added with "STAMP" from https://www.nchsoftware.com/
Plays great, no need to swap disks
Howard Garner

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
My 15 Golf will play AAC files, which is Apple's standard compression, while our 15 Passat will only play mp3s. Did you use a Mac to add the files? If you take a thumb drive or an SD card from a Mac and put it in a PC (or a VW) an index file will also exist for every actual file on the drive. These never show up on a Mac, but do on other OS's. When I use my Mac to put songs on my SD card since my Music is there, I then transfer the card to my old PC and delete all of the index files that show up there. Once I've done that, it works fine in my car.

For some reason (I really haven't looked into why. AAC may just not be supported. Which would be odd because it's not even close to new) the Passat doesn't show any AAC files I place on an SD card, just MP3's. So if I want to put music on it's card, I transfer the files I want from my Mac to the card and use iTunes on my old PC to convert the files to MP3.

The only artwork problems I've had involve the files being too big for the WV, which really doesn't bother me too much.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I tried putting the tracks directly on the card from the mac and also from the PC. I also tried a number of experiments and I am pretty sure it is the artwork files, but I can't see them on the PC and the vast majority of my files are MP4. I will convert some of them to MP3 and see what happens. The issue is not as bad as I thought though as I discovered once you start a playlist it will continue even after a shut down or going back and forth from radio or other media. If I want to change the playlist to a different one though I have to scroll past all the non-playable files to get to a playable one to start the new playlist. Since my playlists tend to be very long this won't be a huge issue if I don't get it fixed. At least it does not seem to select any of the non-playable files during shuffle playback which would be bad. It's pretty amazing that the unit can support up to a 2TB card.