Scirocco TDI

hobojoker

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk1 Rabbit, Mk4 Golf TDI (partout!), MK6 Golf TDI, MK2 Scirocco -> TDI,
Hey Mr.Dave! Sorry about that, nice to see that you're still around! Thanks again.

Do you remember how you determined how much tension to put on it? It doesn't have the slot to line up like the original tensioner

MrDave

Veteran Member
I sort of used the same specs as tensioning the belt on a 16V.

Per Bentley:
"Check the tension by twisting the belt, as shown in Fig. 4-5. On 16-valve engines, the belt is tightened properly when it can be twisted by hand no more than 45°. On all other engines the belt is tightened properly when it can be twisted by hand no more than 90°."

Though really, I got it tight with my tensioner tool, then tightened the nut.

The mk4 tensioner is more idiot-proof.

-Dave

hobojoker

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds good, thanks Dave! I'm trying to be super cautious with the timing belt because if there's a problem there, I don't want my engine to die :(

hobojoker

Veteran Member
TDI
I wish I had some... college + job in Philly make it hard to find any spare time to go to NY to work on it.

Very frustrating - I have break starting this weekend, hopefully with that I can get out there and get something done.

On that note, anyone want to buy an '81 rabbit diesel?

andys123

TDI
'84 Scirocco conversion w/'98 1.9 TDI
Scirocco MK2 TDI owner

I hope you see this project through to completion. I'm here to give you encouragment! After 4 years of pondering the best way to install a hydro clutch, I'm almost finished with a project car I bought in 2007. It's a 1984 Scirocco with previously transplanted TDI from a '98 Jetta. I'm hoping to bring this car out to the Scirocco breeding grounds in Cincinatti some day and let it pasture during the weekend rally. I'd love to see your machine also make that event. Here's the pic of my green machine from 2007.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...DI-are-there-any/page2&highlight=tdi+scirocco

hobojoker

Veteran Member
TDI
I really appreciate the support. I've honestly been considering trying to sell everything, as much as I really really don't want to. I've had no time to work on it really since college, and it's been just sitting. I'm stuck at trying to figure out the timing belt still. I got the tensioner from a '94 jetta 8v or something - I can't remember now. But, I have no clue how to install it, and I honestly haven't made it back to my cars since.

If anyone has interest in this engine with brand new turbo/clutch, gutted '87 scirocco, '81 rabbit, and assorted parts, let me know.

I'll do my best to try to work on this, it's very difficult to find the time when it's 2 states away.