Scirocco head gasket issues I hope not.

adam0801

TDI
Scirocco
Hey everyone,

I have a Scirocco 2.0 TDI 2009 cbdb 130k.

When I bought the car I noticed the sloshing noise from behind the dash board. The heater was hot so thought just needed some air purging.

Since then I have changed the cambelt and pump, clutch and flywheel.

Trying to bleed it has been a nightmare and I've noticed that there is no constant flow from the return pipe to the resivour it more spits and spurts.

It never over heats, never goes above 90c and no smoke from exhaust, no mayo in oil either.

There is however smoke coming out the coolant reservoir, I have done a sniff test which turned the chemical yellow which indicates exhaust fumes on the coolant.

Now I have removed the egr cooler and blanked the egr and it still does it.

Its really doing my head in. I'm hoping it's just a massive air lock but with it failing the chemical test I doubt it.

Would anyone try anything else or its every pointing at a slight breakdown in the head gasket?

Cheers

Adam.

Nathanael Greene

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 1.9 PD/BEW
I'm not an expert by any means, in fact I know nothing compered to a lot of people on here. But I was wondering the same thing as you at one point, so you could see what they told me here:
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/how-do-you-test-a-head-gasket.519296/
Also, I found someone somewhere saying one of the main coolant lines, I don't know which would get really hard if you had a leak (the cylinder pressurizing the coolant system).

Hope this helps,
Nate