Schematics Question for headlights

meetis

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta silver
Headlight wiring information for information for VW Jetta MK IV with 10 pin headlight plug.

The previous 2 images were originally found somewhere on the vortex forum thus far i have not found where.

Below is a list of parts mostly different wire colors because personally i like using different color wires for different functions. These are from ESCtuning.com i also used some elecctrical grease to make it easier to push the connectors into the housing.
[SIZE=-2]
Genuine Volkswagen Aud
Eletrical Housing-Priced Each ES#8958
10 pin female housing[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]ES#8958[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]ES#4055[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]ECS - ECS Headlight Connector Repair Wire - Brown ES#4055
Common VW connector used on headlights. VW Equiv#000 979 133 if two are bought learn more[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]ES#4906[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]ECS - ECS Headlight Connector Repair Wire - Red ES#4906
Common VW connector used on headlights. VW Equiv#000 979 133 if two are bought learn more[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]ES#4053[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]ECS - ECS Headlight Connector Repair Wire - Yellow ES#4053

[SIZE=-1]ES#4054[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]ECS - ECS Headlight Connector Repair Wire - Orange ES#4054

If you must remove pins there is a bluish purpleish plastic piece (slightly visable in above pic) that you have to slide out. I would suggest finding a molex pin remover for this one place i know of that sells a kit is cyberguys.com otherwise using 2 pins or pushrods push the fins above and below the connector so it can slide out of the housing.
Be careful when removeing the pins it is easy to ruin the pin and or pish straight through the connector and into your hand (yep i managed to do that myself very happy to have hydrogen peroxide in good supply)

Check your current wiring setup before takeing my word on any of this.
My stock wiring housing (molex connector) is part number 1j0 973 735 this is a 10 pin housing. Apparently some cars have 10 some have 12 check first!
My wiring is as follows
Pin numbers can be found on the back of the housing looking straight down at the housing. Again your wiring may vary especially for HID's and self leveling setups.
pin 9 = high beams + (white)
pin7 = Low beams + (yellow)
pin10 = Parking lights + (grey / red ) (another side note i only have 95% color vision)
Pin 8 = high beams and low beams - (orange)
pin 6 = turn signals + (black / Green)
pin 4 = fog - (orange)(Also seems to be the turn signal ground)
pin 2 = fog + (no factory wire)

Last edited:

meetis

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta silver
This message has a list of parts to repair / replace the headlight wiring harness on a MKIV VW Jetta. Majority of parts found at esctuning.com this is far cheaper than replaceing the whole harness.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Meetis, I am glad you found what your looking for. Please give credit of authorship for those pictures to the lad on voretex who did the diagram and wrote the piece with the excellent photographs (which is in btw the MK4 FAQ section). Also, please note that the pin structure depicted there was for FK Angel eye installation and is not the diagram for standard lighting on our tdi's (in other words, your standard tdi wiring is different).

meetis

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta silver
ok sorry i didnt know where they came from i had a friend at work helping me look for pics also he accually found that thread. I know its not the stock wiring its accually better because it has more information (ie the fog lights and angel eyes) so as long as people read the diagram it works for all installs and repairs because all the wires are listed and documented. My wiring color codes were different in fact and i noticed there are numbers on the houseing later when i get all the parts in i am going to add to this the wiring via pin numbers. If you have the link we might as well make it part of this thread also so if someone wants to either replace a broken connector or replace the whole headlight there will be 1 all inclusive thread on it.