Scenic Roads

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Since I'm at a "mature" age, I will skip those in Asia and South Africa at this time. Great pictures and super roads.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
They have to be kidding about Afghanistan. They will skin you alive just for being there.

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
I was just in Montana, drove south from Ft McLoed Alberta, crossed over at Piegan MT crossing. I wanted to do the Glacier Hwy to get to Kalispell, but unfortunately it was closed. I had to continue south to Browning MT - what an awesome stretch of road for twisties!!! The new GSW handled it great but I was longing for my Mini JCW lol...
Browning over to Kalispell was also a very nice drive. Not overly challenging but beautiful. Kalispell to Elko BC via Whitefish MT was also real nice. Great weekend!

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Going to the Sun is best on a bicycle, especially downhill! Ditto for the Beartooth.

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
I have a local road that gives the tail of the dragon a run for the money but it's not as desolate.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Where is the Pacific Coast highway in that list? Seriously one of the most beautiful roads I've ever driven.

ScottBL

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Completed the Cabot Trail (Nova Scotia, Canada) this summer. One of the most amazing drives I've ever done.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Any listing of scenic highways is not complete without including the Beartooth in Montana.

http://beartoothhighway.com/

Although the Beartooth Pass is on my bucket list, I've been all over that area and never took the time to venture up and over....Maybe summer of 2016 in the ALH Vanagon!

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Did the Cabot Trail right after the TDIFest. Nice drive is right. Trees right up to the edge of the island make it a bit hard to see the ocean. Lots of bike riders also.
?. HAHAHAHA, this NOT about the post but about your B4V Mr Jackson!
Your B4V is set up nicely, like mine IF mine was done right.
The turbo; the sixth..., 24 PSI ?, and no need for this ? !

smbaau

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
some of my favorites

My favorite is probably the Icefields Parkway 93 , Alberta CA.

If you going to Bear tooth , make sure and drive Chief joseph highway 296, had the pleasure of riding it each of the last two years.

Highlights From my ride to Alaska this year,
The Alcan massive expances of wilderness,

The Dalton, rough road but very Beautiful up to Galbraith Lake campsite.

The drive into Valdez ,

cassiar highway,

37 into Stewart/Hyder saaweeet

a road not mentioned much, 141 from Naturita to Grand Junction, Bea-utiful.

Almost any where in Utah :)

Big beautiful World out there

1sTDI

TDI
^ Icedields parkway 93 is a very scenic drive, and Jasper is a great town to visit for a weekend.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The Kankamangus highway is closed all winter.. it opens in May. I recommend taking it. I went to the White Mountains with the Mrs. in my Wrangler... now we will take the TDI.

Also.. Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor Maine.. really cool.
I'm lucky to have Acadia so nearby. I found alt. 89 in arizona pretty amazing. It goes from bitter springs across marble canyon, past the vermilion cliffs, climbs the kaibab plateau through kaibab national forest and on to Jacob Lake near the north rim of the grand canyon. Some pretty inspirational views for a northeastener.

Last edited:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
After viewing a Youtube video of that road, I found it hard to believe that there are 318 curves in 11 miles.

Sure enough, when I contacted the owner of the web site and asked for his definition of a curve, he admitted that a single curve would be counted as two or three curves if the radius changed along it.

A twisty road I drive often. Hard to count the curves. :D

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
North Cascades Highway, Lochsa River between Lolo Pass and Lewiston, ID, Cedar Canyon Road, between Cedar City and Cedar Breaks, UT, Gardiner River between Bozeman and West Yellowstone, Little Cottonwood Canyon near Salt Lake City, I'll think of more.