Scan Gauge II XGauge - EGT & Boost

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
I did try a different position but to no avail. First it was 0 now it's 1.

Here's an interesting twist though... I unplugged the display unit and after plugging it back in I got the proper readings. EGT now changes rapidly with throttle position just like it's supposed to.

I think I'm set now, however my mileage numbers were down signifigantly on my way into work just now. At 20 degrees F I should at least be at 40mpg or better but only managed 34 today. Has anyone else experienced a mileage drop when hooking up a SGII?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I did try a different position but to no avail. First it was 0 now it's 1.

Here's an interesting twist though... I unplugged the display unit and after plugging it back in I got the proper readings. EGT now changes rapidly with throttle position just like it's supposed to.

I think I'm set now, however my mileage numbers were down signifigantly on my way into work just now. At 20 degrees F I should at least be at 40mpg or better but only managed 34 today. Has anyone else experienced a mileage drop when hooking up a SGII?
SGII is a passive OBD reader. There is no way it's interfering with engine operations.

Perhaps you had a stiff head wind in addition to the cold temperatures.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I guess you didn't read carefully through all my old posts.... ;-) :that same problem had me stumped for a while. For almost all Xgauge edits you need to either powercycle the scangauge, or do a full cycle through all variables, before the edit takes effect. You can't just edit a variable and go straight back to displaying it. Makes scanning for new variables pretty inefficient.

Happy New Year!

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
SGII is a passive OBD reader.
It does submit requests to whatever unit it is getting information from.{Diesl}

I'll give you that, but it isn't modifying any information in the process (unless you clear codes, of course).{Veedubtdi}

Edit by me (Diesl): how did that happen that your comment appears in my post?

Last edited:

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
SGII is a passive OBD reader. There is no way it's interfering with engine operations.
I didn't think so. Thanks for verifying.

Perhaps you had a stiff head wind in addition to the cold temperatures.
I had a headwind but I didn't think it was that bad.

I guess you didn't read carefully through all my old posts.... ;-) :that same problem had me stumped for a while. For almost all Xgauge edits you need to either powercycle the scangauge, or do a full cycle through all variables, before the edit takes effect. You can't just edit a variable and go straight back to displaying it. Makes scanning for new variables pretty inefficient.
I'll admit I probably missed a few posts. I hadn't seen that mentioned but I'm glad I stumbled across the solution.

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 2 door GOLF TDI; 2009 Touareg 3.0 TDI
RPMs per mile

I just ordered a scan guage II.

I am intrigued by the Xgauge function and I was wondering if it is possible to use this to make a gauge that displays RPM's per mile (both instantaneous and average) in a MkIV golf?

Thanks!

-JR

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The ScanGauge doesn't have enough display space to show revolutions per mile. I'm not sure how that information would be helpful anyway.

On a Mk4, more useful information would be coolant temperature, boost pressure, intake air temperature, and voltage.

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
Revolutions per Mile.

It would be very useful to me.

Its really just another way of looking at Miles per Gallon (or gallons per mile in this case), but since I am messing around with gear ratios in my trans for all gears plus the R&P I have an interest in monitoring this as Engine Revolutions per Mile. I am currently running a stock 3.16 R&P with a .588 5th gear.

(I make my own gear sets)

-JR

Last edited:

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
As for not enough display space, it could be Revolutions per Mile x 1000 or similar. Really I just want to know if this is possible with X Guage and the info available from the ECU.

We can debate whether or not its useful or my reasoning some other time.:)

Thanks.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I think the equation you'd need to write to calculate that is too complex for an XGauge.

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
Wouldn't revolutions per mile (RPMi) simply be a function of speed and RPM?

RPMi = (60 / speed) * RPM
That would work for instantaneous steady state measurement.

But it is not as simple as that since rpm's often fluctuate greatly over the course of a mile. If X gauge can make this measurement several to many times a second and average those numbers over time, and display that average, I would think a reasonably close number could be achieved.

But I don't know if this is within the capabilities of X Gauge and if the information to do this is available from the ECU. Hence my inquirery.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You might want to contact ScanGauge to see if something like that can be programmed. As far as I know, end users can't program anything that would involve calculations across multiple parameters. The unit itself is obviously capable of making such calculations, as it can display miles per gallon and gallons per hour, but that is hard coded into the device.

Coal Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium DSG Reflex Silver
Browsing through the manual for my SGII I'm wondering are there more than 4 gauge readouts that can be programmed. AKA "level one and two"? If so how many parameters can be programmed?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You can't program multiple pages. There is only the one page with four gauges on it.

Multiple pages would be a great feature, however. Are you listening, ScanGauge people?

e84

Veteran Member
TDI
blue 2002 ALH 5spd Jetta
You can't program multiple pages. There is only the one page with four gauges on it.

Multiple pages would be a great feature, however. Are you listening, ScanGauge people?
wait so you can only have 4 readouts going at any given time? meaning you can't press a button to flip over to another 4 readouts? that is kind of wack if that's the case.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That is correct. There is a button for each of the four readouts to cycle through all of the options, but it doesn't store "pages."

On your ALH, that's hardly an issue, as there is limited useful information anyway. I display water temp, intake air temp, speed, and voltage on the ALH.

e84

Veteran Member
TDI
blue 2002 ALH 5spd Jetta
That is correct. There is a button for each of the four readouts to cycle through all of the options, but it doesn't store "pages."

On your ALH, that's hardly an issue, as there is limited useful information anyway. I display water temp, intake air temp, speed, and voltage on the ALH.
so you must presumably use a separate gauge for egt and boost?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yes, a gauge just for boost. No gauge for EGT.

And just to clarify, this thread is in the Passat forum, so it's going to be Passat-specific.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
VeeDub: I couldn't find air intake temp on my 2012. Can you tell me/us how to program that in?

e84

Veteran Member
TDI
blue 2002 ALH 5spd Jetta
was wondering on a scan gauge does it tell you what you actual turbo boost is or does it tell you what the computer is requesting from the turbo? if it's the latter then the edge clearly goes to mechanical boost gauges.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Scan gauge reports MAP (manifold absolute pressure). You can program an x-gauge to subtract a fixed number for atmospheric pressure from the MAP reading to get a close approximation of boost pressure.

Simon

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
And to add: you can get both, requested and actual boost. That should allow you to see if something goes wrong with the turbo.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The car doesn't know what the oil pressure is. It's either good or bad (a simple switch).