Scan Gauge II XGauge - EGT & Boost

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'll check my ScanGauge to verify the coding when I get home.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I have no idea what it is on the Jetta.
Thanks folks... I'll figure it out. I am happy with EGT1 (Pre-Turbo), Boost and Water Temp. Really only need one EGT, pre-Turbo, which is a flag for Regen when it goes over 1000F steady.

I am look forward to playing with it some more. I'll try to program torque, which I know my Ross Tech cable can record. The stock "LOD" or LOAD seems to be somewhat useful... but primarily the SGII is great for monitoring REGENS.... (VW listening, why don't you have some REGEN indicator in the MFI).

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That's not entirely accurate - EGT1 can be as low as 750 and as high as 1300+ during regen. If you can pick another EGT sensor like 2 or 3, you'll be good to go as far as monitoring regens.

Livefreeordie89

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I've never had a Regen using EGT sensor 1 lower than 950 and that was all down hill after heating up to 1200 going uphill.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
EGT temps will still fluctuate but they will be substantially higher than normal overall. If you know what you are looking for you can tell. Pre dpf is easier though and I have an alarm set for it on Torque.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Can some one confirm these standard gauges. I scrolled through and these are the standard gauges I can view. What is HPR? I might have copied it wrong. I was taking a voice memo with phone. I see no match in the manual. The standard Water Temp works like a charm, but the XGauge I entered for Water Temp, does not work (could be typo). I have no data for standard gauges: LP, MAP, TPS, FIA, FPR, IGN.... (not that it is a big deal, I am happy with what I can read so far.) Any code for DSG transmission Temp?

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
You can check the bitmaps returned from querying PID 00, 20, 40 and so on, and thereby determine what your car supports. I would guess (and I could be wrong) that a 2010 JSW should support the same variables as my 2012 JSW. The variables (PIDs) for my car are listed in the link from my signature.

HPR is horsepower I think, but it's just computed/estimated. Charge Air Temperature could be useful if you live in a damp and cold neighbourhood, or are just generally prone to worry about intercooler icing.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm pretty sure there are ScanGauge threads in each of the model-specific forums. They might be of more help. :eek:

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I can easily tell when a regen cycle is taking place reading EGT1. Temps at idle are 850-900°F and at cruising are around 1200°F.

Temps for normal operation at idle are around 400-500°F depending on A/C status and at steady cruising are 600-700°F.

Of course, it fluctuates often as Lightflyer1 said which is simply due to throttle position input.

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4A.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
I can easily tell when a regen cycle is taking place reading EGT1. Temps at idle are 850-900°F and at cruising are around 1200°F. Temps for normal operation at idle are around 400-500°F depending on A/C status and at steady cruising are 600-700°F. Of course, it fluctuates often as Lightflyer1 said which is simply due to throttle position input. Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4A.
I concur.... that is what I am seeing.
HPR is indeed horsepower.
Yep thanks! I have to calibrate the fuel and add the fudge factor for HP.... It reads way too low. I was told (called scangaugeII) that the fuel calibration will help with the HP. Apparently fuel flow is used in the HP calculation? You would think they would use RPM and Torque. Anyway in ADV settings you can scale the HP.

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
you can check the bitmaps returned from querying pid 00, 20, 40 and so on, and thereby determine what your car supports. I would guess (and i could be wrong) that a 2010 jsw should support the same variables as my 2012 jsw. The variables (pids) for my car are listed in the link from my signature.

Hpr is horsepower i think, but it's just computed/estimated. Charge air temperature could be useful if you live in a damp and cold neighbourhood, or are just generally prone to worry about intercooler icing.
thanks!

I'm pretty sure there are ScanGauge threads in each of the model-specific forums. They might be of more help. :eek:
True but there is no specific thread for +2009/2010 Golf/Jetta sportwagen, at least as good as this one. I did not notice the category. There is a separate "OBD scanner: forum section, but I just searched all forums. This one came up. Cheers

Last edited:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Just got a new toy for the passat !!! Got all the usual guages set up and soo far it's pretty cool. Is there coding for oil temp that actually works? I tried a few but got nothing.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
No oil temp, unless Scangauge has found it. Your gauge placement is exactly like mine. Downside is you have to look down to read it, but it's out of the way.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Nope. HPR is computer calculated horsepower. FRP might be fuel rail pressure... haven't tried to find that yet because it isn't particularly useful day-to-day.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope. HPR is computer calculated horsepower. FRP might be fuel rail pressure... haven't tried to find that yet because it isn't particularly useful day-to-day.
Yep HPR is HP... mine reads really low.... The "R" part of HPR might be at "rear" wheels? Regardless I think it is a derived number, and mine reads very low. I find it of little use. You can scale up the HP reading in SGII settings. I think Torque would be better. I have not been able to get that to work yet, but I have not really tried very hard. I find the standard gauge LOD (engine loading) or % power being used of available power at that RPM, to be fairly accurate/useful... Using my VCDS Ross Tech cable I recorded some driving data.

FRP per the manual says it is fuel pressure at "pump", and the manual says "very few vehicles report this". I suspect pump means low pressure boost.

If we can read the rail pressure, which is very high +32,000 PSI, it would have to be an XGauge... Does anyone have a code for that? I am not sure it would be useful, but I suppose it could be an early indication of HPFP failure....

I now display : EGT1, BST (boost), fWT (water temp) and the forth item either: Total fuel used (XGauge from standard trip gauge programing required), or standard gauges like: LOD or volts.

Have programed DPF differential pressure reading, it works and goes up with more airflow through engine. Not sure how useful it is. I could not get DPF temp to work yet..

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
If we can read the rail pressure, which is very high +32,000 PSI, it would have to be an XGauge... Does anyone have a code for that? I am not sure it would be useful, but I suppose it could be an early indication of HPFP failure....
Yes - linked from my signature.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes - linked from my signature.
Thanks :D, which one is it. I see some fuel ones... I'll try them all, but is one of them COMMON RAIL pressure? That would be a 30,000 psi reading.

I have a similar list, but again thanks... Good stuff!

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
The one called 'fuel pressure'.
Actually, there are two, 'actual' and 'requested'. One could compare the two and worry about the difference.
It's in multiples of normal atmospheric pressure, aka bar. For psi you have to multiply by 15 or some number like that.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
The one called 'fuel pressure'.
Actually, there are two, 'actual' and 'requested'. One could compare the two and worry about the difference.
It's in multiples of normal atmospheric pressure, aka bar. For psi you have to multiply by 15 or some number like that.
I guess you could change the math input and get it to read in PSI. I said the pressure was over 30,000 psi... I guess it is lower..

High Pressure 3,336 – 26,107 psi (230 – 1800 bar)​

One Atmo is 14.7 psi.

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
I finally had time to program the SGII tonight though I'm having an issue with the EGT gauge reading.

I've read this thread and TDP's more recent one on the SGII EGT coding and have come up with these codes as the ones to use. Correct me if I'm wrong…

TXD: 07DF0178
RXF: 051406780000
RXD: 3810
MTH: 00090032FFD8
NAM: EGT

I do get a reading but it is the exact same number as the DPF, which is coded according to post 1 here.

Before you ask I have and re-entered the codes and triple-checked the numbers for both EGT and DPF yet no change with EGT. The DPF seems to be right according to what I've read.

Did I miss something simple? Any ideas or is it time for a call to SG?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I finally had time to program the SGII tonight though I'm having an issue with the EGT gauge reading.
I've read this thread and TDP's more recent one on the SGII EGT coding and have come up with these codes as the ones to use. Correct me if I'm wrong…
RXF: 051406780000
I do get a reading but it is the exact same number as the DPF, which is coded according to post 1 here.
Before you ask I have and re-entered the codes and triple-checked the numbers for both EGT and DPF yet no change with EGT. The DPF seems to be right according to what I've read.
Did I miss something simple? Any ideas or is it time for a call to SG?
Your 1 and 4 are swapped.

The correct coding is
RXF: 054106780000

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Hey thanks for the quick reply VDub! Unfortunately I'll have to wait til tomorrow to try it out. Gotta get some shuteye!

I'll let you know what happens...

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Did you enter 2 EGT x gauges by accident, 1 with DPF code and 1 with EGT code? When you cycle through the display gauge options, make sure there isn't a second EGT available.

Also delete the one and try a different x gauge position. Some have said slot 1 gave them trouble.