Saw a motorhome towing a tdi Golf

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
I was going for a run down one of the major thoroughfares in Huntsville, Al, last night and saw a motorhome towing a tdi Golf. It was a very big, slick, new, expensive-looking mainly black motorhome. I didn't see where they were from -- too busy trying to be sure that green Golf really had "tdi" on the back. Is it anyone we know? And what about towing a Golf 4-wheels down? I wonder if they had the disconnecting half-shaft fitting that is sold for this purpose.

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I wonder what would be more efficient... the RV pulling the TDI or the TDI pulling the RV? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
I saw a sharp-looking green Golf TDI in front of a house in the Old Town part of Huntsville maybe 6 mos ago. There's plenty of non-member TDIs in the world, but this one had the "Diesel Inside" Intel logo on one of the windows. Put up a post, but nobody owned up to it.

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp
I saw an expensive diesel powered "pusher" RV towing a TDI about a year ago just north of Minneapolis.

Gotta love it!

Hollywood

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat Sedan
I am unaware of VWs being able to flat-tow without alterations. Of course, just because the manufacturer doesn't recommend it doesn't mean it's not perfectly safe. I think Saturn and Geo have in the past marketed to the RV market specifically for this application.

Go leave them a TDICLUB business card.

I haven't seen any being drug through Florence, but have you guys ever seen the river tours? Barges loaded with probably 20 big RVs going up the Tennessee. Don't know how far they go up, sure struck me whem I first saw them.

OneBadBug

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle
Are you sure the VW wasn't pushing the motorhome? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
[ QUOTE ]
Hollywood said:
I am unaware of VWs being able to flat-tow without alterations. Of course, just because the manufacturer doesn't recommend it doesn't mean it's not perfectly safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost any car you can modify to be able to do this. The main problem with auto transmissions is they will overheat without the engine running to spin the pump that pumps the transmission fluid through the cooler. You can get an aftermarket 12v pump that you plumb into the trans-cooler lines that will circulate the fluid while you tow the vehicle.