Saturn TDI Conversion

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
Just passed the 60,000 mile mark on the engine swap; currently getting 63-64 mpg for this time of year. Had my diesel fuel jell on me once, but I think it was because I filled up at a small gas station that doesn't sell a lot of diesel, instead of at a truck stop that I normally frequent; likely got some old/stale/summer blend fuel.

Aside from that and the air cleaner mounting bracket cracking (made a new heavy-duty one to replace it), it's been super-reliable and puts out some great heat once it come up to operating temp - usually takes several miles in this climate, but that's to be expected in cold weather. Looking forward to milder temps so I can start running B100 again.

midnightoil

Veteran Member
TDI
researching for a TDI highway driver and occasional tow pig
Out of curiosity, how roughly do you drive to get such spectacular figures? I'm aware you can save gas if you drive 55mph instead of 77mph but some of us with impossible schedules and long commutes aren't able to do that. Pulse and glide gives huge savings but isn't possible during close traffic either. (i'm not sure if your doing either/didn't check linked articles, just read this thread)

I'm asking because i'm considering something very similar - put a VW diesel (though thinking of an IDI for other reasons, with a factory or DIY aftermarket turbo) into an SL or SW, do some minor aeromods (not sure if i'm up to driving a space cadet car with boattails or drawing attention yet though but more subtle things and bellypans are fine, though if I went from 70mpg to 90mpg my wallet would probably make me accept it) but mostly still drive it like i'm forced to drive it ie as fast as possible without getting arrested in close traffic because there's never enough time to do it all. Any suggestion what mileage I might get if I did the same but were forced to drive like a typical american? (I get about 33-35mpg on the urban freeway commute in my "40mpg" SL0)

I'm researching car projects for a future education and work situation coming up in about 18 months which will force probably a 20-30k miles/year commuting scenario absolute minimum (possibly bad as 40k) for the next decade, such that amortizing the cost of a long lived diesel plus custom conversion costs over that means if it saves me $25/month in fuel it pays for itself by then. I have a Saturn SL and still like it, cheap to fix, already familiar with it, it's few flaws (like warping brake rotors) known by now, little rust problem due to plastic body and similar. If the additional mileage benefits could be had by putting the engine into an SL instead of staying in the Jetta, i'm going "hmmm..." (though i'm still baffled why it should be so much better, the Jetta is a bit heavier but pretty comparable aerodynamically to an SL sedan, and better than a wagon)

Have you tested a 0-60 with the car just for a rule of thumb of performance? With that Rocketchip it should be, what, 120hp comparable to the original DOHC motor just with more torque?

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
Most of my mileage comes from techniques such as coasting down hills or to stop signs/traffic lights, observing the speed limit, light acceleration (although I admit I will stand on it when the need arises!), and just being aware of how I am driving. My daily commute currently includes driving from Wells to Rochester for work, then to South Portland four mornings a week for classes - the downtown area is a real bear to drive through with all the traffic and lights, so my mileage suffers a bit from that.

I've never timed it 0-60, although I can tell you it's pretty quick! My son tends to drive it like he stole it, and reports that he has won a few stoplight Grand Prix's. Of course, he also knocks several mpg off my figures...

Keep in mind that it takes a good deal of design/engineering and fabricating skills to make something like this happen. Mine is probably one of the more elaborate conversions, because there are so many details that had to be dealt with as they came up, and being the only Saturn swap, I was on my own. I ran into a few snags along the way that I had to resolve before I could forge ahead, but that's what seperates the successful swaps from the dead-end projects: this one has nearly 62,000 daily-driven miles on it in all kinds of weather conditions.

Evilsizer

TDI
2012 Golf TDi
man starting to wonder what would your number would look like had we 1.2/1.4 tdi's here in the states. im with a few here on the sc/sc2's to bad we cant find someone that would be able to do a kit type service for these. can find some nice/decent examples around 2-3k here with 100-140k on them.

cfm awesome conversion man and sweet mgp numbers! hope you can take lots of pictures when you around to areo modding it more. i do think going all boatail on it would be funny to see and imagine the comments you would get. lol

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, it's been a couple years since I last updated this thread; the Saturn TDI just turned 100k on the engine swap and still going strong! Getting ready for a timing belt and oil change soon, otherwise it hasn't really needed anything. It took a real beating this winter, though - sub-zero weather (needed a jump start at -15, even with two batteries in the car), lost oil pressure once when the bolt securing the vacuum pump (which also drives the oil pump) came loose, a couple of light bulbs, and a quart of oil. Took awhile to reach operating temperature in such cold weather, and the winter temps took a toll on the fuel economy, returning mostly mid-upper fifties. With the warmer weather finally taking hold, I'm starting to see low-sixties again.

My son borrowed the car for a few days, and drove it like he stole it ("It's ok Dad - I won."), didn't want to give it back!

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Anyone have a good way to get in touch with CFM?... he's on here very seldom, I sent him a PM several days ago and his email gets bounced back.:confused:

specialed1995

TDI
1Z 1.9 TDI from 1996 B4 Passat
Another Saturn TDI In Progress!!!

Hey guys I know this thread hasn't been updated in quite a while but I wanted to let everyone on here know that I'm following in CFM's footsteps and building another Saturn S-Series TDI, here's a link to the forum on here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=470625

I would also like an update on CFM's original conversion to see how it's doing. CFM, are you still out there???

specialed1995

TDI
1Z 1.9 TDI from 1996 B4 Passat
Wow, I'm surprised no one else posted this already, so I guess I'll show what ultimately happened with this TDI Swap:

For those of you that are not aware, CFM's original Saturn TDI is gone.

Originally Posted by lilcraigford;

On Tuesday, January 10th, after eight years and over 100k miles of service, the Saturn TDI was officially retired. Over the weekend it was discovered that the car was sitting atop a terminal amount of oil. Without the time or means to diagnose (let alone fix) the issue my father decided that the car had exceeded its useful lifespan. That Sunday a deal was struck up for a 2012 Toyota Prius C and a few days later, with the oil topped off and a few extra quarts on hand, the Saturn TDI took to the road one last time. The dealership selling the Prius accepted what remained of the car as a trade-in.

The Saturn TDI achieved an all time high of 72.3 MPG.

Build Thread: TDIClub - Saturn TDI Conversion

Swap Summary:
1995 Saturn SL2
1997 Volkswagen AHU Turbo Diesel
1997 Volkswagen 02A/CHA 5-Speed Transaxle

Modified Saturn S-Series Engine Cradle
Custom Drivetrain Mounts
Hybrid Axles (Volkswagen Inner/Saturn Outer)
TDI ECU & Wiring Harness
Rocket Chip Stage 2 Chip
Dakota Digital Signal Converters (Speedometer/Tachometer)
Adapted Volkswagen Passat Shifter
Front Mount Intercooler (Modified Saab Item)
Secondary Thermostat (Modified Renault Alliance Item)
Secondary Trunk Mounted Battery
Sachs VR6 Clutch

Exterior Mirror Delete (Custom Inboard Mirrors)
Forward Mounted Headlights
Lower Grill Blockoff
Smooth Wheel Covers
Under-Nose Belly Pan

Here is the link to the original post:

http://sixthsphere.com/showthread.p...I-is-no-more?p=1526530&viewfull=1#post1526530