Saturday Morning Timing Belt

M

mickey

Utah members: The big Timing Belt GTG will be Saturday morning at 9:00 at the address I sent you.

It is my intention to videotape the relevant bits of this procedure and splice together a "how to" video production for Forum members to buy. How many folks would be interested in such a tape? I'd sell it for the cost of tape production and shipping. (I have no idea how much that would be. Well under $20, I would imagine.)

-mickey

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I'll bite.

(Maybe we could play it for some clueless dealers also!)

------------------
1997 Jetta TDI
Upsolute Chip
K&N Filter
Descreened
Broken Timing Belt @ 72,800 (15,100 miles on belt)
New Cylinder Head

caddy@udnet.net

Ted Strong

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 1998, Red; Passat TDI Wagon, 2005, Silverstone Gray
I would definitely purchase the video. What a cool idea. Let us know when/how we can order.

Ted

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Count me in. The only question I have is how you are going to do this? I mean the timing belt change. I have read where people do a normal timing belt change and the off they go. Others do the change and then hook up some equipment to tweak it for performance like the day the got the car.

Also does the timing belt change include the tensioner change?

Brad

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
I'd be interested, too. A couple questions, though. Is this on an A3 or A4 vehicle? And does it make a difference to the procedures (I'm pretty sure it does)?

Oh and thanks for doing this. Man, I love this forum.

------------------
The TDI Owners' Premium Diesel Fueling Station List:
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/svenfoucault.geo/tdi/premdiesel.html" TARGET=_blank>
http://www.geocities.com/svenfoucault.geo/tdi/premdiesel.html</A>

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Beowulf: The differences in the procedure are those involved in getting to the belt - what you have to clear out of the way. On the A4 chassis, for example, there is this pesky motor mount that goes right through the belt loop. In order to change the belt you have to support the engine and remove the mount. I don't think there is that hassle with the A3 chassis. For the belt itself, it is the same (assuming you use the marking method and don't bother with locking the cam and injection pump.)

Deafbug: The tensioner is a pretty beefy unit. When we looked at mickey's at his 40k change, it looked brand-spankin' new. No one there could see any reason to change it. Besides, VW is so proud of it (read: it's expensive) that you would do well to let VW keep them until at least 80k mi. Maybe past then, it would be your call. Actual observation of the part would be the decision maker.

------------------
"I love the smell of [burning diesel] in the morning. It smells like ... victory!"

M

mickey

He's chosen to re-use the original tensioner and accessory belt, though I'll bring along a brand new tensioner just in case his is tweaked. (I'm prepared for ANYTHING!
) Other than that we'll just be replacing the fuel filter. He already had the oil changed.

I will, however, point out the various bits and explain how to change them. Once you SEE the tensioner replacing it is self-explanatory. You'll also get to see my awsome custom made tensioner tool!

This will also be a "mark and pray" change. No cam or pump locking involved. I'll bring those tools along just to show 'em off to the camera, but once you view the tape you'll see how pointless the full-on Volkswagen method really is. (I hope. Either that or you'll get to hear the sound of someone's cylinder head being destroyed.)

I'll have my laptop and I'll be using VW Tool to check his timing afterward. I'm VERY leery of messing with the timing after my recent disaster. I think advancing the timing had a lot to do with what happened to me. (Blown turbo, in case you don't know.) I'll be shooting for a timing value in the exact dead center of the band.

What I think I'll do is talk to Fred about making this tape a Forum fund raiser. I'll add a small amount to the price and give Fred the profits.

-mickey

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 red JSW TDI base model
Mickey,

I think it is a great idea! I will also order a copy of the videotape.

Wish I were there to join in the fun!

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Mickey:

You didn't give me a call so I'd know when to start the stop watch.

No pressure at all, but the belt had better be changed and a movie of how to do it released in less than 4 hours!

Seriously, how did it go?

Larry Larson

Veteran Member
I'd buy one. Especially after my experience with my free 5000 mile service at a dealer I went to while in Seattle last week. The service manager was unaware that they were to drain water from the fuel filter. After they were all done, I checked the oil level not trusting they knew what they were doing with that either. Sure enough, barely any oild showed up on the dipstick. It was nearly 2 quarts low! Needless to say, these folks will not be changing my timing belt. The free service is worth every penny, but beyond that.....

------------------
Red 2001 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed
Gray Leather

Dana Hanchett

Veteran Member
TDI
That's a video I'd buy in a NY second and I'm not from New York. It would give good insite to whether or not I would tackle this maintence job or not. I also like the part about proceeds benfit Fred.

Ron 33

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2K Jetta GLS Atlantic Blue, Manual
Sounds like a great idea, what other options should be considered besides model differences, and locking the pump and camshaft if any? Special tools?
BTW great forum, thanks Fred and all who contribute. Ron (newbie)

------------------
Y2K Jetta GLS 5 Spd Atlantic Blue (MAY)

sierraent

Mickey,

Great Idea! Count me in.

I've done the belt on my '86 Golf every 40,000 miles my self, have replaced engines and tranies, and I'm looking forward to your tape.

Besides, at 1,000 miles a week, I'm not too far from that task.

Thanks and Cheers!

------------------

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
Maybe you can answer this one, Mickey. The dealer that changed my timing belt, and they seemed very up on the TDI in Dayton Ohio, he highly recommended locking down the camshaft as he stated that if the pressure was right, or the engine was in the right place, the cam or engine would turn and bend things. Had the complete job done in 2.5 hours, so he did know his stuff on an A-4. I can understand how this could happen, do you agree?

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
I tend to be with you on that one, Ripster! I've replaced TBs on several vehicles, mostly using the recommended flywheel/pump locking procedures, and since Sod's Law so often prevails and something inadvertently gets knocked or displaced, I prefer the positive locking idea.

Having said that, I have found that you can often improvise simply rather than using special tools - I made up a flywheel pip-pin and used the back of a 9mm drill on the Bosch pump for my Discovery. I'd be interested in any such suggestions re the VW TDi!
Suppose it's done now! Hope all went well.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
WOW - makes me feel special!

The Jetta has to be similar to the Golf right?

You know what is perfect for taking the engine mount off?

A sparkplug socket! Then you can get a box wrench over it.

The rest of the stuff . . . well you know what it was like.

8 Hours??? Serious? How long did it take all of us to get mine done? Of course we were dinkin around with the LOF and intercooler change and the tire rotations - a good 30 minutes was spend getting the damn thing on jack stands.

Granted Hondo had the primo set of tools. Well hard to say but I think GoFaster and I together with our tools filled it out perfectly.

Mark it method did take us 3-4 guys to get it on. on set of hands on each sprocket.

Wasn't it fun!!!!! LOL

I might be more interested in the tape now than before - I can always use a good laugh.