Samurai Diesel

diesel sammy

TDI
AHU mechanical ip Samurai
I purchased a Suzuki Samurai sight un seen and was told it was a AAz engine.
Got it delivered Friday and now have discovered it is a 1Z or AHU engine with a mechanical injection pump.
My question is how do you tune this to make more power?
It will only run 50 mph and full throttle.
I have spoke with other people that have this type of setup and they say it will go 70 easy.
It does not smoke at fuel throttle.
I hear the turbo spool up.
Any suggestion would gladly be appreciate it.
I know nothing about VW diesels.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
When I had my 2.0 ABA in my 89 Samurai, I was able to run at 75 to 80 mph but at 3700 to 4000 rpm. Might be a tad high for the diesel. You could swap out your R&P's to get more top end speed while keeping the rpm down to a manageable level.

Check with the tuners on this forum to get an idea of what can be done to the engine.

Keep in mind that these can be a bit tippy. I was lifted and running 30's and it was always interesting with cross winds.

Welcome to the forum!

diesel sammy

TDI
Diesel Sammy

It is running 3.73 the stock ring and pinion, It has 30 9.50 x15.
And you are right it can be a hand full to drive.

diesel sammy

TDI
There one thing i noticed about the injection pump is that it looks like the ones you see on the AAZ engines.
I can see that it s a Bosh.
I wondering if I have the right pump

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Both pumps bolt up, tdi are electronic of course and mechanicals are cable driven. It's most likely an M-tdi converted AHU/1Z, some people opt for the newer motors since they're direct injected but still want mechanical control. Pretty common to run a franken pump, a mixed of the mechanical with the tdi head plunger and camplate.

vwdiesel.net is a much better source for idi stuff, I'd start here
http://vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,6427.0.html

Should be plenty of power to be made with a manual boost controller and a flathead ;)

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The current preffered way to make an AHU/1Z/ALH in to a purely mechanical engine is to use a Land Rover 300TDI pump. The Land Rover pumps are nearly a direct bolt on for the ALH and fit once you machine the pump bracket to have a larger hole on the AHU/1Z. The pumps are set up to drive a 120hp 2.5L engine in their stock settings so they usually perform better than a regular 90hp electronic TDI right from the get go.

The pump can be identified using its part number - there are often multiple part numbers stamped in but the Bosch number starting with 0-460 or a VW number staring with 068 or 028 will pretty much tell us what you have on there now.

A lot of people try and get away with running an AAZ or 1.6L pump on a mechanical TDI - it just doesn't work. The IDI engines have a small 9mm plunger and very little dynamic advance. It'll run the engine, sure, but it'll have very little power.

I have an AHU with a Rover pump in my B3.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

diesel sammy

TDI
Has anyone heard of Hans Auot Parts in NC?
They offer the pumps here what they say.
New 1.9 M-TDI Pump. This is a mechanical pump that can run the 1.9 TDI engines. This pump is based off of the 1.9 AAZ Pump Body, so it will bolt on to the 1.9 AHU/1Z engine without modification. You will need the 1.9 AAZ sprocket or the MTDI sprocket.

To engineer this pump I disassembled VW's own 2.8 MTDI pump sold in Europe and copied the internal design. Prior to shipping, this pump will be installed on a 1.9 TDI engine and test run, so you can be 100% sure that the pump will work right.

For a turbo boost controller for your 1Z/AHU turbo, click HERE .

There is a $150 core charge included in the price of this pump. If you send a TDI pump back, you will receive $150 back.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Hans Auto parts? RUN! Search the vendor area for the name Prothe and find out just how bad he is. If you want to get your car running long enough to drive it to the crusher, you MIGHT be OK, but no guarantee that what he sells you will work out of the box.

diesel sammy

TDI
Where do you get a Land Rover 300 TDI pump? Any idea of what they cost or would it be easier to get Giles to do one?

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
You could just get a stock ALH pump, harness and ECU and do it "right".

If you have a custom pump and there's an issue with it, you're stuck. Not a big problem if it is your weekend warrior, but daily driver you want to be able to get up and going as quick as possible.

diesel sammy

TDI
Zombie Motors

Anybody heard of Zombie Motors in GA.
They said they have a new/ rebuilt Land Rover injection pump with mods done to run the VW and will include the bracket to install it for 1400$
I talked to Giles and he is 1200$ plus I have to furnish a 1.6l injection pump a 1.9l aaz pump and a tdi pump to build the pump.I think his going to be even more whith the three pumps on top of 1200$

diesel sammy

TDI
This just going to be a weekend trail rig.
I would rather not have a computer in case I submerge the vehicle

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
The Rover pumps are available through eBay and can be found for sale on the vwdiesel.net forum and Facebook group. They are a totally stock pump so they're easy to get serviced. VE injection pumps are incredibly reliable, you are a lot more likely to have electronics issues than a failure in a mechanical VE pump in my opinion.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
The number in the link I posted earlier is part# ERR4046. I've been led to believe that the pumps from both the 200TDI and 300TDI will work with the VW engines, which might be why there are different part #s, as there are different ancillaries attached to some pumps for emissions purposes.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
The advanced automation pump is a good option but there are some tradeoffs... It has a 12mm plunger which is great if you want to drive massive injectors, but will increase noise and decrease the pump max operating RPM. Those pumps also have a much lower governed maximum RPM so you need to mess with that if you want to have any power over about 3500 RPM.

With respect to the Rover pumps, make sure you're not looking at a pump from an automatic. They used a TDI style VP series electronic pump. You need a pump from a manual. It will have an accelerator lever and an LDA on top. EGR/non EGR is another variable but either version will work. The 200 and 300 pumps will both work but the 300 has a bit more of a gentle cam plate decreasing engine clatter a bit.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
Good news. I don't know how you set up the pulley for an AHU, but I'm pretty sure you can't use the LR hub, so at least you'll probably need one from an ALH. Additionally, to reset the hub orientation you'll need a dial indicator and adapter to set the internal pump timing. I was able to use the setup I've had for nearly 30 years when I used to service 1.5/1.6L diesels.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Good news. I don't know how you set up the pulley for an AHU, but I'm pretty sure you can't use the LR hub, so at least you'll probably need one from an ALH. Additionally, to reset the hub orientation you'll need a dial indicator and adapter to set the internal pump timing. I was able to use the setup I've had for nearly 30 years when I used to service 1.5/1.6L diesels.
you don't need a dial indicator but just lock the pump shaft in place with a the correct length 10x1 bolt with pump at tdc, remove the rover hub, replace the seal while you have it off, and reinstall the ALH hub ... it helps to file or grind the ALH slot wider and deeper to accomodate the rover style locking pin (3/8" bolt) ... as for the sprocket you can also remove the webbing from below one of the slots to accomodate the 3/8" bolt "pump pin" ... another thing i do in these pumps to ease installation is to install thread inserts into the pump mounting ears so it mounts just like an ALH pump ... also requred is modifying the rear steel mounting bracket

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
You can use the AHU pulley technically but you're going to have some issues. The Rover pump has no adjustment slots in its mounting ears meaning there's no way to adjust timing by moving the pump body. Some folks have hogged them out with a rotary tool to provide sufficient adjustment. I personally was unwilling to make a mess of the new pump I had purchased.

The solution is to use an ALH hub and pulley.