Samurai AHU Swap = Complete

nomoremondays

TDI
1.9 AHU into a Samurai!
I wanted to drop this thread off here and answer any questions folks may have about my AHU swapped Samurai now that its done.

I would have done this as a WIP thread, but uploading pictures here sucks so I wanted the suck to happen all at once.

Big thanks to Jeff at ACME adapters - he really took care of me through this process. Also, contrary to many of the early threads on the ACME adapter plate, it has the locating pins needed to not grenade your clutch and fit the vehicle quite well. Highly recommend his kit.

Here we go:

1992 Samurai gets welcomed home:

I figured I'd touch up the paint a little. There was a dent in the fender man. Couldn't stand it.

Or maybe more than a little - which is this trucks middle name:

ALRIGHT - now that I got that dent out of the fender I was looking at that was bugging me....I can go drive it some.

After a short while the engine had a baby! Which the way I drove it is understandable it would get pregnant:

Look at the little baby piston chunks!

All 4 pistons were shattered and held together by the piston rings. It had done this for 10,000 miles and still drove. Ish.

Nothing to be done about it - time to throw away this vehicle and get something reliable like an Isuzu. Oh - wait!

Why not engine swap swap? This looked terrible in there, so paint time it was.

Its not every day you have your tranny out. - While I'm at it:

AAAND Look what showed up!:

No way I'm allowing something like that in my dentless Samurai. With a fresh tranny and painted engine bay. Lets see what happens when I do 400 hours of work between two pictures.

This intake isn't going to work for carp. Much too tall and will hit the hood. How about the SDI one instead?

While thats getting done - Wiring anyone?

Last edited:

nomoremondays

TDI
1.9 AHU into a Samurai!

Look what what happened while I wasn't looking:

Man that alternator don't fit. At all. Or even close. Hammer time.

Passenger side of the bay doesn't have enough room for stuff. Why not make a custom mounting plate?

Man that came out well:

Shoehorned in there.

New dash lighting looks good.

TIME TO START IT! ! ! ! !!!

Man it sure didn't run for crep. But, VCDS is your buddy.

Group 013 told me that injector 2 was messed up, and I went to the yard and pulled a set out of a Passat, and got a new injection pump too anyways. The pump was quite new, and the injectors looked like KermaTDI units.

New injectors in, set the timing with the IP and moved it until it started, fine tuned the timing in VCDS, and set the IQ to 4-ish.

LETS GO FOR A DRIVE! Also, mounted a OBDII tablet to monitor stuff I couldn't see on the dash that is important. Like RPM's.

Buttoned back up:

Without the intercooler, intake charge temps are surprisingly friendly (95degrees, engine temp is very good, and it runs and drives good!

$16,000 later...1000 hours of work....one trip to hospital..., 51 trips to a junk yard, 10 parts from another country.

Ask questions as you will.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
That is sweet! I've never seen those sdi intakes, looks like a 2.slow intake.
Very clean nice build!

AGTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
No questions here.
Just wanted to say that you do clean, tidy work.
The plumbing is great.

nomoremondays

TDI
1.9 AHU into a Samurai!
I've got a somewhat bizarro land coolant bypass in right now that I need 5/8 to 1/2" adapters to fix up so the heater works again, so thats the two hoses looped up over the engine.

nomoremondays

TDI
1.9 AHU into a Samurai!
When you hammer on a stock TDI in a Sammy you can snap an axle or grenade the tranny instantly. Hell, I took out the intercooler to reduce power output lol.

nomoremondays

TDI
1.9 AHU into a Samurai!
About the only thing thats still going on on this swap is a bit of strange behavior regarding the throttle pedal.

It does this one time per ignition cycle - I will step on the gas and it won't have any power. It only does this the first time I put it in gear and say "go"

If I feather the throttle after it doesn't want to drive away it will work perfectly for the rest of the drive cycle in all instances.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Mine dead pedals on occasion mostly in cold weather.
Looks like a proper repower

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
This is because you more than likely havent installed clutch or brake position switches
\
About the only thing thats still going on on this swap is a bit of strange behavior regarding the throttle pedal.

It does this one time per ignition cycle - I will step on the gas and it won't have any power. It only does this the first time I put it in gear and say "go"

If I feather the throttle after it doesn't want to drive away it will work perfectly for the rest of the drive cycle in all instances.

nomoremondays

TDI
1.9 AHU into a Samurai!
I did not install the Clutch or Brake switches. It does not however throw a code, but that doesn't mean its not a problem.

Its very difficult to install said switches on the Samurai. I do have a brake switch in there of course from the Samurai - I wonder if it could be made to work.

I'll dig for some threads on those switches and see whats going on.

This is because you more than likely havent installed clutch or brake position switches
\

nomoremondays

TDI
1.9 AHU into a Samurai!
Okay. I wired up a manual switch for “DIE NOW” right next to the driver that grounds all 3 inputs.

VCDS now shows 0 0 0 in the block for switches.

Vehicle runs better and the dead pedal is gone now.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Awesome work. After having done two Sidekicks, I can understand the level of work that goes into this - and yours aren't farmed together like mine.

I've been tweaking and tuning the swaps for years now - there's always something to adjust of fix or improve. Kinda fun, though, right up until you get stranded by some stupid thing you noticed but neglected.

Great Colorado cars, where abouts are you? Shop views are up.

nomoremondays

TDI
1.9 AHU into a Samurai!
Well, today rocked.

It started making an ever-increasing rattle noise. Sounded like a nut dropped in the intake.

Then the oil pressure light started blinking.

It only ran for 5 seconds like that before I turned it off. Grr.

Going to drop the pan and take off the valve cover.

Any advice on culprits?

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Well, today rocked.

It started making an ever-increasing rattle noise. Sounded like a nut dropped in the intake.

Then the oil pressure light started blinking.

It only ran for 5 seconds like that before I turned it off. Grr.

Going to drop the pan and take off the valve cover.

Any advice on culprits?
Check the intermediate shaft. I've seen them snap before...

nomoremondays

TDI
1.9 AHU into a Samurai!
Okay. So. Figured it out and for once it wasn’t the worst damn thing ever.

The intermediate shaft drives the oil pump. That’s not actually true like I thought it was. The IS drives the vacuum pump which direct drives the oil pump.

So when the bolt holding in your vacuum pump goes on an unscheduled vacation....this happens.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Okay. So. Figured it out and for once it wasn’t the worst damn thing ever.

The intermediate shaft drives the oil pump. That’s not actually true like I thought it was. The IS drives the vacuum pump which direct drives the oil pump.

So when the bolt holding in your vacuum pump goes on an unscheduled vacation....this happens.
That's good, a lot better than a broken intermediate shaft!