Salvage Jetta TDI missing all keys

jav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS - 5 speed
I think I know the answer but want to be sure. I'm looking at a 2012 project jetta tdi that is for sale but it has absolutely no keys. Can't get them.

Even if I order new ones from VW- using the VIN# and title... there's no way the new keys will work without hooking the car up to the VW computer for programming...is that correct?

The car is a savaged car with front end damage so getting the car repaired enough to get to the dealer to hook up the the computer isn't a quick option. Is there ANY way to extract the SKC ( VAG TACHO) or disable the immobilizer just to see if it will start?

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Any competent lock smith can figure it out, I have a guy and he has a program for chipped keys on all kinds of cars...

ATG

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI Jetta TDI
Any competent lock smith can figure it out, I have a guy and he has a program for chipped keys on all kinds of cars...
+1

Lock smiths have the software to get the SKC code and program keys. Find a reputable locksmith that knows what they are doing and have them "Pull the code," as well as program your keys. That way, you can later obtain a vag-com cable and do them yourself.

jav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS - 5 speed
Are you guys sure about this?

I tried to do this on my 2003 jetta and none of the local locksmiths could extract the SKC...even the ones that said they could. They needed the car to check and when I brought them the car, they could not get their scan tools to actually extract the code.

I had to drive 2 hours to a club member who had Vag-Tacho and he finally got the code. I was under the understanding that newer cars were even harder to get the SKC out of?

Even with the SKC, locksmiths would still have to program the car to accept the key... which means they have to be at the car and able to cycle the ignition to the "on" position, which requires a "cut" key (and a working car). It's my understanding that no locksmith can cut a blank key unless they have a good key to copy the pattern from?

Am I mistaken?

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
You actually make since, when I had it done I had a key for him it was the valet key without the chip but he had a blank to work with, just seems like their has to be a way for them to do it, it's 2014, we have been to the moon?:):rolleyes:

ATG

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI Jetta TDI
Are you guys sure about this?

I tried to do this on my 2003 jetta and none of the local locksmiths could extract the SKC...even the ones that said they could. They needed the car to check and when I brought them the car, they could not get their scan tools to actually extract the code.

I had to drive 2 hours to a club member who had Vag-Tacho and he finally got the code. I was under the understanding that newer cars were even harder to get the SKC out of?

Even with the SKC, locksmiths would still have to program the car to accept the key... which means they have to be at the car and able to cycle the ignition to the "on" position, which requires a "cut" key (and a working car). It's my understanding that no locksmith can cut a blank key unless they have a good key to copy the pattern from?

Am I mistaken?
I'm in Upstate NY and a local Locksmith said he has done several of them. He had one of his tech's come put and pull the skc code from my 2003 when I had it. It took him a few attempts to get the code because the metal roof had dampened the cellular signal to the software vendor servers.

He did get me the SKC code, programmed my keys and made me happy.

Granted I had a vallet key and was able to turn the ignition on.

Let me give him a call and see if he can program a key with out an existing one.

jav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS - 5 speed
I'm in Upstate NY and a local Locksmith said he has done several of them. He had one of his tech's come put and pull the skc code from my 2003 when I had it. It took him a few attempts to get the code because the metal roof had dampened the cellular signal to the software vendor servers.

Let me give him a call and see if he can program a key with out an existing one.

Not just program the key... but cut a key without having one to copy from AND then program a 2012 car to accept that new key (if he can even cut it).

ATG

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI Jetta TDI

According to my locksmith, VW is the preferred method in this case to have a key made. Order / purchase the master key end (not the remote end if you already have it) and it will be cut on delivery. After that, find a competent locksmith to program the key. Depending on their software, it should pull the SKC in the process of programming the key.

You will need the vin from the car to have the key end made at VW.

Last edited:

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
What about making an appointment with a local dealer and having the car towed there. Not the easiest thing but probably the only way toget it done.

jav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS - 5 speed
Yeah- that may be the only way but as an unrepaired salvage car, there's the possibility that there are electrical issues that might keep the programming from working.

ATG

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI Jetta TDI
What about making an appointment with a local dealer and having the car towed there. Not the easiest thing but probably the only way toget it done.
I know the key is ~$160.00 on a 2003 Golf. But i have no clue what a 2012 key looks like. I know on my 2014 it is all one piece now, so you would have to purchase the entire key. :(

I think the stealership service rates are the determining factor here. Depending on the rate it could be expensive.

ATG

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI Jetta TDI
OP: i found some information on the VW site relating to the release of the SKC codes. there was a law suit filed and looks like it validates what I stated before.

However, there is one thing I don't understand. This is the word "Earlier." in their settlement document. Do they mean "Later model years (<2007)," or model years > 2007?

Http://www.dropbox.com/s/uwc26e5540w...ent_notice.pdf

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The lawsuit covered car built prior to the 06 model year (IIRC). Prior to that, the only way to get a full key cut and programmed was to go to the dealer and pay about $200 (again going by memory). The suit allows lock smiths the same level of access to the VW setup for cutting and progaming keys. You can purcahse the two halves separately but if you don't have any keys, then you'll want the whole thing anyway. However, as you mentioned, if there are still electrical problems, you may not know if the key from the locksmith or from VW really works until the car is back together.

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
See the mk5 key FAQ on my site for details, it will explain most of the questions you have and explain the system. It has a short note on mk6 keys as they are completely different 2010+.

jav, you have to go to the dealer for this. As far as I'm aware, nobody can get the SKC on recent models. The SKC can only be hacked on older models.

The dealer and 3rd party NEVER see the SKC ever since VW changed their system. It passes from VW, through their tool, to the car in encrypted form. The 3rd party locksmiths have to apply and rent the tools from VW, which are quite expensive, so I've never had a quote lower than the dealer anyways.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
There's two ways of getting the SKC:

There's getting it from the VW database - This is what some locksmiths use and pay dearly for to have access to.

There's also reverse engineering it - This is where the EEPROM of the instrument cluster / Immobilizer unit is read and processed to "Extract" the SKC. Many people mistakenly believe this is not possible after MY2003, however the tools are available, but just more expensive. The tools for MY2003 and lower have been available in the Asian cloned tool market for years and available for pennies on the dollar.

Obviously,the easiest way to do it is to have someone come to you with the right access and tools.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
I know the key is ~$160.00 on a 2003 Golf. But i have no clue what a 2012 key looks like. I know on my 2014 it is all one piece now, so you would have to purchase the entire key. :(

I think the stealership service rates are the determining factor here. Depending on the rate it could be expensive.
I had one made for my 2012 jetta and the key cost 160 plus programing. I think that it was under 25 bucks tho but don't quote me on this.:)